Bringing family member from outside UK

Soldato
If she's undergoing treatment now it's arguably best for her health if she continues that treatment where she is and one of you takes special leave etc and goes to support her.

Taking her out of treatment into a new facility will cause details to her treatment etc. She may have a lengthy wait here whilst being refereed and then prior to treatment.

This is the best post in the thread.

Soldato
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...rents-grandparents-and-other-dependants-set08
no, unless your MIL has the visa above granted
if you MIL comes over to the UK, she is only entitled to emergency care (ie A+E only) - if she gets admitted, or needs routine care (ie cancer treatment), you'll have to pay out of pocket/medical insurance.
although i'm pretty sure getting medical insurance with a diagnosis of cancer is nigh on impossible
declaration of interest: doctor

I think even with the grandmothering/mother visa they have changed matters, that they are no entitled to state support until they have been here 5 years.
They must be cared for by the relative, including medical expenses paid for by the sponsor, even on that visa.

This assumes the mother is from outside of the EU.
She does the application process, costs about 3K, answer within about 6 months.
Then you have right to remain, but no access to public funds in any form for 5 years.

Caporegime
You guys get way too edgy too fast.
Whilst I don't think he should bring his mother in law to the UK for "free treatment" a bunch of unemployed 40-year-old, unemployed men on OCUK calling him a scrounger isn't exactly what he asked for, but hey ho, you are all ****ed anyway!

Man of Honour
People should leave their opinions our of this and stick to facts.

I’ll leave my opinion out, but give you one fact.
Some 40 years back, after a last wild night out in Valencia, Spain, with my then inamorata, an American girl, we flew back to U.K.
All the way back she was complaining of pain in her shoulder, so much so, that after landing at Gatwick, I drove her to the now defunct Brook Hospital at Greenwich.
They diagnosed a dislocated shoulder, brought on by her wild gyrations to “Tiger Feet” by Mud no doubt.
They gave her a local anaesthetic, pulled the joint back to where it should be, gave her some pain killing tablets, and advised her to take it easy for a week or two.
We’d filled in her casualty admission form giving my address, but she had added that she was a U.S. citizen, giving her home address in Wildwood, NJ.
After the nurse gave her the pain killing meds, she asked for directions to the cashier’s office.
The nurse looked blankly at me, and I said, “She’s used to paying for treatment back home.”
The nurse said, “You’d better explain to her that she’s not back home now, we have the NHS here.”
As I drove her back to my place, she said, “How does that work?”
I explained about National Insurance deductions in U.K., and she said, “If you’ve been paying that since you started work, maybe I got my treatment on your nickel!”
I don’t think that she did, but neither of us heard any more about it.

Soldato
That’s £375,000,000. I’d much rather that money be spent on those entitled to NHS treatment.

Given that claimed you voted for Brexit/Corbyn just to screw over your own country while leaving it to live in France, and then admitted you'd be happy to be a health tourist yourself, I suspect no one really cares for what you'd prefer, if you even really care at all.

Soldato
I don't think so? No recourse to public funds = things like jsa, housing benefits, social care etc. NHS treatment is separate and covered by the nhs immigration health surcharge.

I looked into this recently, held the opposing understanding, and I think I am mistaken.
Interesting, the £3K application fee seems like a complete bargain for such a visa now

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/adult-dependent-relative

Man of Honour
I looked into this recently, held the opposing understanding, and I think I am mistaken.
Interesting, the £3K application fee seems like a complete bargain for such a visa now

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/adult-dependent-relative
Yes but not quite.

This part is very hard to prove:
  • you need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks because of illness, disability or your age
  • the care you need is not available or affordable in the country you live in
And having no recourse to public funds for 5 years if the above holds true is very very expensive.
Most people won't be able to afford it.

Say one's elderly relative has been granted the visa, comes to UK and needs carers four times a day, that's approx £15k pa.
If they deteriorated and needed residential care thats £30k pa.
And then deteriorated and needed nursing care, thats £40k pa.

Say for 5 years, it's 2-2-1 year split for the above scenario...that's £130k over 5 years...

Caporegime
You guys get way too edgy too fast.
Whilst I don't think he should bring his mother in law to the UK for "free treatment" a bunch of unemployed 40-year-old, unemployed men on OCUK calling him a scrounger isn't exactly what he asked for, but hey ho, you are all ****ed anyway!
Why are you assuming all the posters are unemployed lol?

Man of Honour
I am more worried I am sharing the forum with unemployed people?

Tell me it ain't so.....well unless they are the ones who do a bit of gardening on the side as I don't want my rates to go up.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
My guess would be the thread is a wind up :p

But on the off chance it isnt, even if you have PR, to bring an elderly parent over is nigh on impossible nowadays, unless you can show they have strong reasons to return, even the chances of a visitor visa is very slim. But im speaking for NON EU cases here.

Back
Top Bottom