Windows 10

Man of Honour
This method doesn't give you "a certain degree of update management". It gives you every degree of update management. Complete control of updates. It's that simple. It's an active project so i'm not worried about what Microsoft may do in future. It'll work as needed for the foreseeable future.

Not for my usage it doesn't as before, you seem to take criticism of it rather to heart. For my usage it is not a complete solution.

Associate
Just seen something interesting pointed out on the tenforums that might be worth noting. Blocking Telemetry, (as some do), using OOS Shutup10 or similar tools can mess with the whole update procedure. Without the Telemetry, Windows might not know if your machine is safe to receive the latest feature update and might block you from receiving it. Allowing Telemetry again might be a fix for those who haven't been offered the 1809 update yet via WU.

V F

V F

Soldato
True?

As much as I like taking the **** out of MS. I don't really think its their fault as the same thing is happening in linux.
A few changed instructions and low level changes to CPU function to deal with spectre/meltdown etc have pretty much invalidated 10 years hardware/driver/OS interaction testing.

****** if I want to work as a system engineer right now and carry the can for intel and ARM cheap speed hack that they got away with for years.

V F

V F

Soldato
Why keep calling it the October update, we're now December and companies will start winding down which will push it to January.

Have trawled the thread a bit, having 2 issues, just wondering peoples views.
I recently rebuilt windows from scratch on latest download ISO

1st, keep getting pausing. Its seemingly to do with something spinning up a mech disc, as I can hear it happen every time I get the pause. I note people talking about the MS real time virus scanning, does this sound like its possible
(I do get some high CPU usage at times)
2nd, i keep losing the sound, and get a pop up that I have plugged in a sound device. Already using latest mobo drivers etc

I never had either of the issues above when running a previous version on W10 on exactly the same PC (for around 6 months, but as unregistered). I bought a key so decided to rebuild at the same time.

Permabanned
I have just updated manually with the help of Windows Update Assistant and so far, so good.
Don't understand why M$ must block the automatic update to everyone, when the problem systems are maybe less than 5% of the total.

Soldato
One PC (newest) just updated to 1809. Other 2 (one slightly older, one several years older) seem reticent. Have clicked on "check for updates" but says "up to date". Currently sitting on 1803, OS build 17.134.441.

Last edited:
Associate
Windows 10 attempted to update itself yesterday and completely hosed my PC - taken 2 hours to get a working back up reinstalled - just searching through this thread for the way to stop it auto updating (my PC won't run any of the newer versions of Win 10 (anything after and including the Anniversary update). I thought I'd switched off auto update but seems its switched itself back on.

Man of Honour
Windows 10 attempted to update itself yesterday and completely hosed my PC - taken 2 hours to get a working back up reinstalled - just searching through this thread for the way to stop it auto updating (my PC won't run any of the newer versions of Win 10 (anything after and including the Anniversary update). I thought I'd switched off auto update but seems its switched itself back on.

The only reliable method currently is as listed in this post:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32326367/

Any other system will at some point fail to prevent either update behaviour and/or the OS trying to force the upgrade assistant on you - some methods might work reliably for certain installs for some reason but aren't broadly successful.

I find it very very frustrating because I like to stay on top of security updates but I want and need complete and efficient management of feature updates and when the system might reboot and on my portable devices especially the behaviour where soon after startup the background update related tasks start chewing CPU and disc IO for an indefinite amount of time is completely unacceptable :(

Associate
Just set up that script above - fingers crossed I wont have to go through this crap again. Will have to replace the PC I guess - just didn't want to get involved in this round as it all seems very poor value for money.

Soldato
One PC (newest) just updated to 1809. Other 2 (one slightly older, one several years older) seem reticent. Have clicked on "check for updates" but says "up to date". Currently sitting on 1803, OS build 17.134.441.

Have manually updated Asus eee and yoga 13 using update assistant and all ok so far.

Associate
Just set up that script above - fingers crossed I wont have to go through this crap again. Will have to replace the PC I guess - just didn't want to get involved in this round as it all seems very poor value for money.

If you see KB4023057 in your Add/Remove Programs, uninstall it. It's Microsoft's attempt to fix potential issues with updating. It tries to re-enable Windows Update Hijackers that are blocked by the script. I have it Hidden in WUMT so that i don't accidentally install it again.

• This update may try to reset network settings if problems are detected, and it will clean up registry keys that may be preventing updates from being installed successfully.
  • This update may repair disabled or corrupted Windows operating system components that determine the applicability of updates to your version of Windows 10.
  • This update may compress files in your user profile directory to help free up enough disk space to install important updates.
  • This update may reset the Windows Update database to repair the problems that could prevent updates from installing successfully. Therefore, you may see that your Windows Update history was cleared.

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/105798-kb4023057-installed-program.html

Back
Top Bottom