Should I go with a NZXT H500?

Soldato
Currently my system is in a Fractal Design case which is quite small, it only takes a M-ATX board. It's "fine" but it is a bit tight to work with and the possibility for cable management is not great. As such I'm considering replacing the case with a NZXT H500 (don't really need the RGB'ness of of the H500i variant).

Spec to go in:
Intel i7-8700 (non-K) (with a tower cooler with a 120mm fan on it)
Gigabyte B360 M-ATX motherboard
32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair LPX DDR4
Gigabyte GTX1060 6GB
Samsung 250GB SSD NVME M.2
Crucial 250GB SSD SATA 2.5"
WD Blue 1TB SATA 3.5"
Bitfenix 550W Modular PSU

So would this case be suitable? If it is suitable then I understand that it comes with two fans, a rear and a rear top but can take a couple of 120mm or 140mm fans at the front. Would it be a good idea to fit one, or both front 140mm fans or would that be overkill?

Associate
Well it's a bigger case, with better airflow and with fantastic cable management. Plus it looks superb! You can put 2 140mm fans at the front and also the one at the top can be 140mm. So up to you if you want to make it as quiet as possible by using 140's. I think 120's would be fine though.

Associate
I recently bought this case, downsizing from the massive CM Storm Trooper, I am thrilled with it! My temps seem to be around the same, cable management is fantastic, and it is a visual treat - so clean looking!

I would recommend taking a look at Gamers Nexus' review on it for some tips about fan placement and a suggestion of removing an exhaust fan dust filter to help air flow just that little bit more!

Soldato
OP
Yes, that was one of the reviews that I watched on the case. I was already planning on removing that dust filter due to the improvements they indicated but whether it is a good idea to add one, or two, front intake fans as well is what I'm really unclear on.

Normally I would just add two front intake fans and work on the principle that the more airflow the better but it would seem that this may not be the best idea with this case from what they are saying ...

Associate
I have put a single intake fan at the front which is my cpu liquid cooler radiator. It hasn't messed the airflow up from what GN were saying in their video. If i had two fans at the front it nay be enough to alter things maybe?

Soldato
it would be better, but i wouldnt just go by youtube videos, ive watched those sort of videos out of interest and unless they use a non modular psu, they always seem to have cable kits which makes wiring up a godsend.

Soldato
OP
I moved across into this case this afternoon, and would make the following comments.

I would note that in the last month I have built two other systems. Like here they were mATX boards (although in those cases both were running Ryzen 2400g processors and both had various drives, modular power supplies and generally a fairly similar load out. In both cases on the other systems we were re-using Lian-Li cases which were ~8 years old.

Frankly both the other builds were easier than this one. This case may look good but it's quality control, particularly around screw threads, particularly on thumb screws, to be poor. This made the build a lot more irritating than either of the earlier ones.

I doubt I would bother buying a NZXT case again.

Associate
I moved across into this case this afternoon, and would make the following comments.

I would note that in the last month I have built two other systems. Like here they were mATX boards (although in those cases both were running Ryzen 2400g processors and both had various drives, modular power supplies and generally a fairly similar load out. In both cases on the other systems we were re-using Lian-Li cases which were ~8 years old.

Frankly both the other builds were easier than this one. This case may look good but it's quality control, particularly around screw threads, particularly on thumb screws, to be poor. This made the build a lot more irritating than either of the earlier ones.

I doubt I would bother buying a NZXT case again.
Thanks for this I was looking at this case as well but will keep on looking

Associate
Thank for your thoughts as well. I've had a look at this case too but I find details like you've mentioned really annoying and can really detract from the enjoyment of the case.

Back
Top Bottom