Games company deletes player library as punishment.

Man of Honour
I’m always a little surprised when these stories become ‘stories’. Games library gets deleted and people get pumped up.

Imagine what we could achieve if such pumped up people cared about social issues.

And lo, they all walked hand in hand in tranquility and with smiles, through the tamed black hole and into the next dimension to spread peace and happiness. Amen.

Caporegime
I’m always a little surprised when these stories become ‘stories’. Games library gets deleted and people get pumped up.

Imagine what we could achieve if such pumped up people cared about social issues.

And lo, they all walked hand in hand in tranquility and with smiles, through the tamed black hole and into the next dimension to spread peace and happiness. Amen.

The Tamed Black Hole is the name of my new punk rock band.

fake e: album title 'Stephen Mother Lovin' Hawking, My Dudes'

Soldato
Jumping on the no sympathy bandwagon. EA should just go after him for breach of NDA just to set an example. Based on this, it's hardly much of a threat to others.

Soldato
No different to people in the pc games forum expressing their opinions of the closed alpha, just less visible there and slightly more difficult to track down specific accounts and users from an unconnected forum.

Man of Honour
EA should just go after him for breach of NDA just to set an example.

I'm not actually aware of any instance where a alpha/beta test NDA has been used legally against a participant - some of the terms can be pretty crazy as well (not sure on legality) like not even allowed to discuss experiences for like 10 or 25 years after the game release in some cases.

Soldato
OP
I think some people are missing the point.

Nobody is arguing that breaking an NDA should result in no punishment. The reason I made the thread is because IF his account was genuine and he had hundreds of games and they just wiped them for leaking a video game, then that is theft.

I've played many games under NDA and have always abided by them. I don't stream games anyway. But I respect what I'm signed in to. There will always be people who are going to test the boundary, that is the problem with "randoms" on the Internet. But in my opinion they should have suspended his account until twitch banned his account. That would have been the correct process to go down.

People don't seem to realise that when companies have a malicious controlling intent they will pick an example to test the waters with a bad person so everyone will say "well he deserved it". Then once they establish that they can wipe whole collections of games out of peoples accounts, then the reasons for doing it will be expanded.

It would be interesting to see these NDA agreements tested in court, as well as games companies thinking they have the right to delete games you've bought. In law it doesn't matter what a company writes in an agreement, if its not accepted by law then the moment they enforce it they are breaking the law.

What if you signed an NDA and streamed games and you had put your stream online not realising you had left the NDA game running at the starting screen. When you come back from the toilet your account is suspended and all your games gone. Even though you made a genuine mistake then, based off the majority of peoples reactions on the thread, don't come crying for your games back.

Soldato
If the NDA doesn't cover them to do this then this is a gross distortion of power.

The NDA should be treated separately and if there is grounds he should be taken to Court and have the appropriate remedy set before a judicial decision.

There is a lot of this sort of stuff going on with tech companies and it is not a good thing. People are already having payment accounts terminated I.e MasterCard because of political views. This is very very wrong and should worry anyone who is in their right mind.

Soldato
I think some people are missing the point.

Nobody is arguing that breaking an NDA should result in no punishment. The reason I made the thread is because IF his account was genuine and he had hundreds of games and they just wiped them for leaking a video game, then that is theft.

Meaning you're asking for peoples views on a totally fictitious scenario.

Yes he broke the NDA, but he didn't lose all of his games as he only had the Anthem test on that account.

So the grand total of what happened was they revoked his permission to be on the alpha test server while he was inside it which the game probably didn't expect hence the crash.

Now because he has no permission, when he opens the online access panel he sees nothing of the one game that he used to have permission for.

But we get this comedy drama of claiming vast numbers of games deleted etc, rights abused.

Soldato
OP
Meaning you're asking for peoples views on a totally fictitious scenario.

I wrote IF because of a reply by @Malevolence suggesting that it was the only game in his game library, though so far there is no evidence for this to be the case.

I did some more looking up about this and found this article that mentions that it might have been the only game in the library. But without proven evidence then this isn't likely to be the case. How many games have you played under NDA that you set up a separate account for? I've played many NDA'ed games but never setup a separate account for it.

Anthem: Streamer Breaks NDA, Loses Entire Origin Library
https://gamerant.com/anthem-streamer-alpha-nda-break-origin-library-loss/

So the grand total of what happened was they revoked his permission to be on the alpha test server while he was inside it which the game probably didn't expect hence the crash.

You're assuming he only had that one game in his library. Where is your evidence?

Now because he has no permission, when he opens the online access panel he sees nothing of the one game that he used to have permission for.

Again your assuming he had only one game in the library because someone on a forum said it. Where is the evidence for that?

It seems you've missed the point despite many people telling you in this thread, the only game he lost access to was the game he was leaking. Everything else is just pie in the sky stuff based on nothing.

Where is your evidence he only had one game in the library? If you're going to be insulting in a reply then back up what you are saying.

Caporegime
I wrote IF because of a reply by @Malevolence suggesting that it was the only game in his game library, though so far there is no evidence for this to be the case.

I did some more looking up about this and found this article that mentions that it might have been the only game in the library. But without proven evidence then this isn't likely to be the case. How many games have you played under NDA that you set up a separate account for? I've played many NDA'ed games but never setup a separate account for it.

Anthem: Streamer Breaks NDA, Loses Entire Origin Library
https://gamerant.com/anthem-streamer-alpha-nda-break-origin-library-loss/

You're assuming he only had that one game in his library. Where is your evidence?

Again your assuming he had only one game in the library because someone on a forum said it. Where is the evidence for that?

Where is your evidence he only had one game in the library? If you're going to be insulting in a reply then back up what you are saying.

He could have a billion games in his library, boo hoo?

He is lucky they only took away his games, not after anything else, like everything he owns and then some.

Back
Top Bottom