Extremely worried about my insurance claim

Associate
*sigh*

How is this so difficult. There's no ifs, buts, or maybes.

If a Tesco employee is going to Tesco to shop and not work (despite working there) then that would be classed as domestic.

If the Tesco employee is going to Tesco to pick up his wage slip, but at the same time picks up some food for his dinner tonight, that would be classed as commuting. (They visited Tesco for not just a domestic purpose).
Exactly, besides Most tesco employees do their shop after they have finished the shift. Why would anyone finish work at tesco, go home and then think.....oh I'll go shopping at tesco

Soldato
But but what about if, like me, you don't have insurance for social or domestic or pleasure or commuting and you bought your car in the hope that you could just drive it and.. wait.... this is bad isn't it

I think part of this is down to how most people now do it themselves online.

When you used to use a broker (for us old farts) one of the questions they asked was about work, "do you use it for travelling to work?" "yes", add commuting
"is that a permanent place of work or do you travel to other locations as well" "Only one" : Non business "more than one" : add business. "Then how many miles etc"

Because online they are trying to make it as quick as possible they seem to actually make it harder to do quickly because in my experience when you go to the insurers site from the quote site its almost always wrong, so you do it again just to get it right then get a diff premium etc.

The reason you now get asked more questions is that the insurers quote engines and stats are now better. They know more of the risks and they can easily include more factors.

I dont believe SDP should automatically include commuting. Plenty of people don't work. Second cars, stay at home parents, the retired etc.

The more worrying one for me is that a lot of people should have some ;limited business mileage, and it costs naff all, yet most do not.
If you do anything like taking stuff to the bank, post office, nip round the shops due to running out of coffee, giving people a lift for a works event, even attending a works event in your car your doing business miles.

Associate
It's an odd thread this one :p
All the theoretical questions about "I leave work and then..." - Well obviously you'd need commuting because at some point you'd have driven to or from your place of work.
It's a crap situation for the op to be in and hopefully the insurance company will take pity on the situation... But they don't have to, as no matter what the circumstances, it is the drivers responsibility at all times to ensure the vehicle is correctly insured. Ignorance is not an excuse as they say.

How it works out for you.

Man of Honour
So a Tesco employee Has to have commuting on their policy every time they go shopping, just because it's their place of work?

I called ALL of the countries insurance companies this morning as promised above and they all said "do you know Ryan James perchance?".

Sorry, I tried.

Soldato
I've never not had commuting on my insurance policies - certainly when I've been playing around with quotes in the past, removing it / adding it adds/removes more or less nothing from the premium.
I'm with Direct Line so I have a level of Business Use included, however I am covered in my own car if I'm using it on behalf of the business by the business itself (they cover all employees in their own car if they are travelling to a different site or visiting a supplier etc), which is useful.

I've only read about half the pages on this thread, but I'm amazed how many people don't quite get this.

Associate
I've never not had commuting on my insurance policies - certainly when I've been playing around with quotes in the past, removing it / adding it adds/removes more or less nothing from the premium.
I'm with Direct Line so I have a level of Business Use included, however I am covered in my own car if I'm using it on behalf of the business by the business itself (they cover all employees in their own car if they are travelling to a different site or visiting a supplier etc), which is useful.

I've only read about half the pages on this thread, but I'm amazed how many people don't quite get this.

I think everyone 'gets it' they just can't believe it's a thing.

Associate
It's simple, if you have a job and use your car to get to that job, you need commuting.

The cheeky bit that I've noticed in the last few years is they now want to know if you drive during rush hour. I know statistically your chances of an accident are higher in rush hour but come on, I'm paying for S,D and C, surely that should cover me regardless of time of day and I shouldn't pay more for using my car during normal office opening/closing hours.

if I had an accident in rush hour but missed that box would I then be stuffed?

It's a relentless industry!

Back
Top Bottom