BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
Apparently BT installs don’t have a modem allocated to the install and i’m also getting VOIP. As this was the first g.fast install my installer had done and apparently i’m the first person in the region to get VOIP, it wasn’t looking good at that point, also didn’t help the g.fast team ignored the callback request. Eventually got installed, sync’s very much on the lower end of the range and it’s unlikely anything will be done till the 10 day training period is up.
If you’re within the estimate they may not do anything at all!

Soldato
I didn’t ask unfortunately, as the crow flys I reckon I could hit the pod with a rock, obviously cable path is slightly different but it’s still a relatively direct run.

Soldato
Yes, I was given one + a disc as part of the trial. I did have the SH1. The coverage from just the router was slightly better, but not really that noticeable. The extra disc is what has made the real difference, my living room and garden now have full coverage!

Looks like they've upped the price for existing customers now anyway, It was £65 when I checked the other day but it's £100 now, which seems steep for an ISP-branded one.

Associate
Finally got round to phoning bt to upgrade to fibre only to be told that the wimborne cabinet was full at the moment. Any way of getting an idea of how long that may take? Did manage to get a new router for nothing and my existing package down a fair bit.

Damned frustrating. I hate the phone and making the call takes a lot for me to do (just don't like using it) so for that to happen was a bit irritating to say the least. Did get 2 very helpful operators though which made a change.

Thanks

Soldato
The fun continues... (ordered on Black Friday, install booked 7 days later, cancelled and rebooked by BT 24hrs later, no show for install, rescheduled for 10 days later, random line ceases booked etc. etc.). Now they haven't completed my order down, so can't do anything in terms of even basic checks. Also despite having working service (it just fluctuates between 80mbit and 210mbit so far) the 'internet' light isn't lit on the 922, is this normal?

Caporegime
My last bill was a little bit ouch, looks like the commander made some unsubsidised phone calls.

That aside though I'm getting a little annoyed with broadband prices and line rentals going up. Feels like I'm just subsidising BTs purchasing of football that I don't watch and couldn't care less about. 3 months left on our contract, I might have to look at other ISPs.

Hum. Virgin broadband only seems decent, but given how bad they were in the past not sure I can stomach going with them again.

Last edited:
Soldato
My last bill was a little bit ouch, looks like the commander made some unsubsidised phone calls.

That aside though I'm getting a little annoyed with broadband prices and line rentals going up. Feels like I'm just subsidising BTs purchasing of football that I don't watch and couldn't care less about. 3 months left on our contract, I might have to look at other ISPs.

Hum. Virgin broadband only seems decent, but given how bad they were in the past not sure I can stomach going with them again.

Look at Quidco/TCB, factor in the offer from Sky/Plusnet/Virgin etc. along with the speeds available and choose whoever gives you what you want for the best price. Then when you speak to tour existing ISP ask them to match/beat it. Sometimes they can, sometimes they can’t. Rinse and repeat every time your contract is up.

The downside with Virgin is it can and does vary massively by area and time of year (student influx for example in Sept/Oct used to cause issues).

Last edited:
Caporegime

Openreach's line rental charges are going down, so it's just a bunch of retail providers trying to make their broadband look cheaper. At least it was until Ofcom said the advertisement needed to be for the total cost inc. rental.

Caporegime
We had massive problems with Virgin before so I'm loathed to consider them to be honest. But I can get the same sort of deal for £40/month broadband only it seems, where we're paying almost £70 now.

But... its reliable... which I suppose is worth a few bob. Funnily enough, our contract ends tomorrow; anyone ever negotiated a reasonable discount with BT?

Openreach's line rental charges are going down, so it's just a bunch of retail providers trying to make their broadband look cheaper. At least it was until Ofcom said the advertisement needed to be for the total cost inc. rental.
I suspect BT won't be passing on those savings :p

Soldato

Eh, prices are lower now than they were 7 years ago when I first got an 80/20 Mb/s package. You just have to shop around, use cashback sites, wait for deals, and haggle with your current provider. I'm more annoyed with the lack of progress. Yes, G.fast and FTTP exist but their painfully slow roll-out leaves most people without those options.

Caporegime
I've shopped around. My options don't seem to stretch that far. Of the FTTC providers, BT are the only ones who offer me 80/20. Then there's Virgin who do offer up to 200Mb/sec for a little less, but that could well be a poisoned chalice.

Soldato
I've shopped around. My options don't seem to stretch that far. Of the FTTC providers, BT are the only ones who offer me 80/20. Then there's Virgin who do offer up to 200Mb/sec for a little less, but that could well be a poisoned chalice.

If BT offer 80/20 then every other FTTC provider can offer the same. VM do a satisfaction guarantee policy, you could get them to install, test it and see how you get on, if it’s not for you then it costs nothing (other than calls made or PPV etc. if you get TV). If you keep it, then you need to give BT notice and do a number port if you are bothered about the number.

Back
Top Bottom