Memory Frequency Question

Associate
So - apologies in advance if this is a daft question, but....

I currently have Kingston HyperX Savage Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit installed on my Gigabyte Z97X motherboard. Having loaded 'Speccy' to get the details of the build for a question I had on GPUs, I notice that Speccy reports the memory running at 800MHz. I've loaded CPU-Z and it says the same. Are these readings incorrect or is there a setting I need to modify in the BIOS (I had assumed that the memory would be auto-detected...)

Soldato
You need to multiply the frequency by 3 on DDR3 memory so 800Mhz X 3 is 2400Mhz

I'm afraid you are wrong. The clue is in the name DDR, double data rate....................you multiply by 2.
As you can see in the pic below, Cpu-z shows my DDR3 at 970Mhz when doubled it was of course at 1940Mhz.
OP, to run your ram at 2400Mhz you need to select XMP in the bios. What you are seeing in Cpu-z are the standard JEDEC settings that memory will default to unless you (a) input the timmings and speed manually or (b) select XMP.

xkt24p.jpg

Associate
OP
Cheers kitfit :) Found the correct profile in XMP in BIOS and now Speccy is reporting 1198.8MHz which doubles up to 2400Mhz. Thanks for such a prompt and comprehensive reply! :)

Associate
OP
Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but savies creating a new one ;)

Would there be any benefit in increasing the RAM from 8Gb to 16Gb on my exising spec (i5 4690K, Gigabyte Z97X-SLI-CF, Vega 56) or would I be better putting the money aside for a new mobo/CPU/RAM upgrade?

Back
Top Bottom