When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I'll hopefully be going electric next year with the Model 3 when it arrives.

Have a feeling that when I do other family members will follow suit having seen/experienced the future.

Might tempt the other half into a Niro and the father into an E-Golf (he loves his damn Golfs)

Soldato
Been watching a few vids of the Kia Niro and the Hyundai Kona, if you could actually buy them in any kind of sensible time frame they'd be ideal.

I do feel that by the time the Tesla model 3 ever gets to the UK there'll be no point as there will be several 300 miles sub £30k cars to chose from which is a shame really as i really do love the 3, but i don't think i'd chose that over the more practical SUV of either the Niro or the Kona.

I wish someone would make a medium size estate car with the same running gear as the Niro/Kona but i fear i'd probably be the only customer as everyone else wants an SUV :(

I'd buy one :D

Caporegime
My last 3 cars have been estates, they are far more practical than SUV's.

In fact I really don't understand why people buy saloons at all....it's not like a 5 series saloon handles dramatically different from the touring model.

This popped up in the news on comcar (damn handy site for calculating tax etc)

"- BMW and Porsche have developed a prototype 450kW FastCharge unit which can give an electric vehicle up to 62 miles of range in just three minutes."
( https://comcar.co.uk/news/2018/Dec/Weekly-News-Roundup--14-12-18/0001026882 )

So thats a game changer really. Assuming it tails off as it gets closer to full thats still plenty acceptable speed for charging.

I mean every 2-3 hours, stop for 10-15 mins and you would be good for another 2-3 hours at that rate.

Filling up every 250 miles is annoying. Let alone every 60

But of course speed of charging and total charge capacity/range are not the same thing

I would expect something thats able to be charged to that speed to have quite a few batteries so probably more like 300 mile range.

I agree on filling up, its a pet hate of mine. People are idiotic and slow, and then decide to go an try to do 3 days shopping when paying for their fuel.

One of the advantages of elec stations is they are tiny fractions of the cost to install vs a petrol pump, so in theory they can have far more of them.
Queuing could well end up as just a bad memory when every spot is likely to have its own charger ;)

Soldato
This popped up in the news on comcar (damn handy site for calculating tax etc)

"- BMW and Porsche have developed a prototype 450kW FastCharge unit which can give an electric vehicle up to 62 miles of range in just three minutes."
( https://comcar.co.uk/news/2018/Dec/Weekly-News-Roundup--14-12-18/0001026882 )

So thats a game changer really. Assuming it tails off as it gets closer to full thats still plenty acceptable speed for charging.

I mean every 2-3 hours, stop for 10-15 mins and you would be good for another 2-3 hours at that rate.

Currently that 450KW is only for the first 3 minutes :) but it demonstrates how quickly the tech is changing. Hopefully the battery chemistry and hence capacity and charging will change dramatically again in the next 2-5 years. Production is still probably one of the bigger hurdles though it's not stopped the Chinese introducing thousands of buses already.

Transport Evolved on YT was the source I saw about the Porsche/BMW 450W charging tech and initially I dismissed it as another demo that'll take years to implement but then they mentioned the demo i3 had a 54 KW battery and I was like THEY HAVE 54KW IN AN i3 ALREADY!! WHY CAN'T I BUY THAT NOW.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have been following electric car news and technology for past few years, really excited about it and really hoping to get my next car as full electric.

Can you guys offer any advice/knowledge on what cars are going to be available in 2021? My lease runs out on march 2021.

So far all I know is Audi Q3 is meant to be released in 2019. I only like SUV's and currently own a BMW X1 which I love. I would even get a BMW X1 again if I knew that BMW would give an electric option in 2021 but not heard much from them.

I'm really picky because I'm wanting 100% electric SUV for no more then 35k. And preferably from Audi/BMW/Mercedes but doesn't seem like a lot of options at the moment unless there's some cars I don't know about which are coming in next 2 years?

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
I would say all electric small-medium SUV & German & £35k & 2021 are unlikely to be a realistic expectation given the current price of cars like the Kona.

BMW have already showcased the iX3 which will be a step up from the X1.

Edit: beaten to it!

Soldato
Thanks for your replies guys. I really love my BMW X1 though you see, I've only had it since march 2018 and its a three year lease. I wish I could just get the same car again but electric version in 2021, then I'd be happy but like you said doesn't look likely.

So the only cars I can see in my budget would be Audi Q3 as apparently they're bringing out an electric version of the Q3 in 2019 but don't know much about it.

Also the Volvo XC40 looks nice to me and that is coming in electric too in 2019.

Soldato
Announcements suggest all of those will come in between £45k-£50k, I wouldn’t expect any money off RRP as demand is is outstripping supply on all current EVs. Leases are expensive for the same reason.

Seems about right, cheaper than an iPace but more than a Kona/Nero etc.

Back
Top Bottom