CASE Dilemma ************** ??????????????????

Associate
Hi Guys,

I’m in a bit of a dilemma? I’ve been waiting for the HP Omen Obelisk which has just hit the market, the 8700 with 2080 graphics card. I wanted to buy it but in America it was on sale for $1500, here its £1900. Furthermore I really don’t like the holes on the top of the case, as my room is a dust magnet!! Ideally I would like a case with amazing thermals and quiet as possible and with as few holes as possible!!

So now I’m looking into rather than buying....., building one or getting a pc built. My budget is £2k max, cheaper the better obviously. I don’t want to go water cooled as I personally think it’s too dangerous. Therefore I will be looking at an air cooled system. I am hoping for an Intel based 8700k + 2080 or 2080Ti, Z390 motherboard, 32gb ram. I want a high end performance pc so I don’t have to upgrade for a loooong time. Btw I don’t game!  I love tempered glass and RGB, how much does this affect thermals though?

I have been looking at some cases and have narrowed it down to these: -
1. BeQuiet - DARK BASE 700
2. Enthoo Evolv X Glass
3. Coolermaster MC500mt
4. Lian Li - pc-o11-wgx-rog-edition
5. Fractal design define s2 --- OR --- R6 USB C

Any recommendations – pros and cons on the above cases or other parts I should use?
Is it possible to build what I’m looking for under £2k?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Associate
Quite a variation in price between some of those options, might find it all a bit of a struggle to get within budget.

Personally I like the look of the Silent Base 801 over the Dark Base 700. Not a fan of the Coolermaster MC500MT and can't help but think the Lian Li PC-011 is going to use up an awful lot of your budget.

If it were me, I'd go for the Enthoo Evolv or the Fractal Design R6 USB C. If your room is a dust magnet, tempered glass might not be best for you. I've got a Black tempered glass Enthoo Evolv, that I've never used still sealed in the box, that I'm wonder if I did the right thing in buying glass.

Soldato
Have you looked at the Lian Li dynamic: if your on a budget, it’s nearly a 1/3 of the price while looking largely similar and dynamic is a very good case https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lian-li-pc-o11-dynamic-midi-tower-black-window-ca-76s-ll.html there are some minor differences aside from aesthetics, it not something that is likely to matter. Similarly while dynamic shines with custom loops, it also does well with air cooled systems.

Being honest all those cases are solid options for a typical cpu and single gpu build with either AIO or air.

Holes dont matter in cases if you have positive pressure, to be honest you want good airflow in a case and holes make good airflow :) Go for a decent quality case that you like the look of and get some good quiet fans for it, with more fans as intake than outtake you will create positive pressure that will force air out of the case and stop dust from creeping in.

Associate
OP
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replys,

TangoEcoAlpha - I did look into other be quiet cases and considered the Dark base 900 but it’s too big for the space I have. Not a fan of the 801 to be honest, don’t like the front panel. Keeping the DB 700 as an option.....

Finners – I want a 4k "future proof" PC. The PC will be mainly used for online streaming, watching vids/movies/general productivity work using Microsoft office, surfing internet etc.

Radox-0 – Thanks for the advice, I have reconsidered my options and I want to choose one of the following, I like the look of the Coolermaster MC500mt, and the Lian Li 011 Dynamic. The third choice would be, Be Quiet’s Silent Base 700. Which case is best for excellent air circulation/thermals and super quiet operation?

Grandmaster Fap! – I agree the more holes the better, but at the same time I hate dust and want to open up my pc to clean as few times as possible. Which case and super quiet high quality fans would you recommend. In particular from these three cases,

1. Coolermaster MC500mt
  2. Lian Li 011 Dynamic
  3. Darkbase 700
  4. Any other recommendations????

I’m concerned that the Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic, most say is really for water cooled systems, therefore the fan positions would maybe not be the most effective for an air cooled quiet system? Furthermore would it be best to mount the gpu vertically or horizontally as horizontal mounting would restrict bottom air flow and the vertical mounting position would take up all the pcie slot spaces. so can't fit anything else like a upgrade for a network/sound/tv card etc?

The Darkbase 700, I really don’t like how they have mounted the usb 3.1 with the plastic around it to fit in the case, rather they should have redesigned the housing to accommodate it properly.

Would really appropriate further advise guys, bearing in mind its for: -

1. Air Cooled System
  2. 8700k with air cooled cpu cooler
  3. z390 ATX or EATX motherboard
  4. 32GB Ram
  5. 2080 gpu or 2080ti?
  6. Intel Optane main drive
  7. SSD or HDD for secondary storage
  8. RGB
  1. Quite a variation in price between some of those options, might find it all a bit of a struggle to get within budget.

Personally I like the look of the Silent Base 801 over the Dark Base 700. Not a fan of the Coolermaster MC500MT and can't help but think the Lian Li PC-011 is going to use up an awful lot of your budget.

If it were me, I'd go for the Enthoo Evolv or the Fractal Design R6 USB C. If your room is a dust magnet, tempered glass might not be best for you. I've got a Black tempered glass Enthoo Evolv, that I've never used still sealed in the box, that I'm wonder if I did the right thing in buying glass.

2. You say you don't game but want a high end GPU? What will the Pc be used for? Will help with advissia you

3. Have you looked at the Lian Li dynamic: if your on a budget, it’s nearly a 1/3 of the price while looking largely similar and dynamic is a very good case https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lian-li-pc-o11-dynamic-midi-tower-black-window-ca-76s-ll.html there are some minor differences aside from aesthetics, it not something that is likely to matter. Similarly while dynamic shines with custom loops, it also does well with air cooled systems.

Being honest all those cases are solid options for a typical cpu and single gpu build with either AIO or air.

4. Holes dont matter in cases if you have positive pressure, to be honest you want good airflow in a case and holes make good airflow :) Go for a decent quality case that you like the look of and get some good quiet fans for it, with more fans as intake than outtake you will create positive pressure that will force air out of the case and stop dust from creeping in.

I like the Lian-Li, yes it is primarily a water cool case BUT it has potential to move a lot of air. With three fans at the bottom feeding the GPU and the two at the side, it can get a lot of air in. I have an InWin 101c which is a similar layout to the Lian-Li and its very cool, my 2700x never gets above 60c in gaming.

Other case id recommend is the Fractal Meshify C.

As for fans i like Arctic F series, very quiet and move a reasonable amount of air, @doyll always recommends Phanteks and BeQuiet although the BeQuiets are expensive, very nice though!

Associate
I am currently building in the Dark Base 700 RGB. If you are all about airflow and are not willing to modify, this case is not for you

Let me know if you want to see pics

Associate
OP
I am currently building in the Dark Base 700 RGB. If you are all about airflow and are not willing to modify, this case is not for you

Let me know if you want to see pics

What kind o modifications have you made? Pictures and specs would be great, Thanks.

Associate
Hi
I can’t just attach photos to posts for some reason. I will upload and embed them when I get home from the office.

I’m not planning to do anything too crazy just yet. I do need to drill three holes for pass through fittings.
Stage 1
If cooling is a issue I will be cutting the damaged top panel. Then one of the two top panels Bequiet sent me as replacements. I will install a magnetic filter for more airflow on the top.
Stage 2
Later when I get some funds I will do a acrylic mid plate.
Stage 3
A custom res and cur out the bequiet logo on the psu cover and light it up with leds.

Associate
Dynamic all the way but get an aio for cpu. Really nice tempered case, compact, logical layout, looks smart.

Ditch the optane and get nvme.

Get a z370 instead of z390 if not using 9900k.

2080 hybrid (nice and quiet) instead of 2080ti.

Know you're against water cooling but with AIO you've got absolutely no reason to worry and have ready fit wc.

Not quite sure though why you want such a high spec machine for surfing/vids/office unless determined to blow some money....

Be better off with ryzen/vega and save a small fortune.

Associate
QBObpgz

4CLCUND

s9T1O2D

dgqlgZ0

yRSctIR

mzgDTV0

i5vgUXd

uF92FNa

BxVhykj

wzhDUUy

uJKhTwa

7zfQa4f

BeQuiet Dark Base 700
AMD Ryzen 1800x
Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VI EXTREME
Team Group Delta RGB 2666mhz (4x4GB)
EVGA GTX 1080 Super Clocked
EVGA GTX 1080 Founders Edition
Seasonic X-1250w
Samsung PM981 NVMe 256GB
Samsung SM951 NVMe 256GB
Samsung 850 evo 256GB
Crucial 156GB

EK Supremacy Evo Plexi/Nickel
EK-FC1080 GTX Nickel/Plexi (x2)
EK-CoolStream PE 360
EK-Coolstream SE 360
EK-HDC Black 16mm (x14)
EK-HD PETG Tube 12/16mm
EK 90 Degree Adapters
EK G1/4 Extensions
Xspc Ball Valve
EK-XRES 100 Revo D5
Alphacool D5
Mayhems Pastel white
Corsair SP120 PWM (x8)
Corsair SP140 PWM

Associate
**** me the RoG tax is strong with this one eh!!!!!!!!

I have the standard O11 and it's pretty epic, save theeself £180ish and get that.

Yeah, pretty hefty price on that one! Reckon it's slightly better for custom loop than dynamic but crazy price. Either that or dynamic is a bloomin bargain....

Popcorn for razer dynamic price...... :D

Back
Top Bottom