Black Panther nominations

Caporegime
I watched Venom recently which I thought was the first watchable Marvel film I have seen in a while. Most of them are by the numbers same old same old. I didn't mind Venom though. Not seen this yet and I probably won't bother either.

Ironically not technically made by Marvel, whilst it is a Marvel character, it isn't a Marvel movie and I am in the camp that is one of the worst comic book movies out for absolutely ages. Thor Dark World is better than Venom.

Caporegime
Any superhero film getting nominated for best picture is laughable, but especially this average film.

Interesting to discover it's the first Marvel film to ever be nominated for that category. Very interesting indeed....

Caporegime
Interesting views :) I thought all three Thor movies were utter dross. Enjoyed Venom more than all three.

Two are, the third is decent but has some really dodgy parts and Banner was mostly terrible as himself, Hulk was decent. That's just how bad Venom was.

Hardy put in his usual bumbling performance and for some reason he goes from accomplished and successful investigative journalist for the first what 1/4 of the film and every moment after that he's a complete and utter idiot.

Black Panther was weak as hell, the sister who a lot of people seem to love, it's not that her character needs to be serious at all, it's just the idea of one kid doing the entirety of all science in Wakanda is stupid, the jokes are mostly weak and it's just trying to be hip/young by writing people being more casual but I thought the style and actual dialogue was frequently poor.

The reason this likely is getting nominations is fairly simple. First off, awards are bought and paid for, people need to understand that. You pay to get nominations, you wine and dine the right people and offer previews, days on sets and all kinds of gifts and nonsense, studios lobby HARD for these awards. Second, Marvel are a certain type of movie, you basically pay to get included on a very very short list and then the awards try to remain respectable by picking a movie that doesn't come across as being totally obviously bought which means Marvel will find it hard to actually win the biggest awards. Marvel have created one of the most successful series of films in film history and likely for decades, centuries to come and going for some big awards isn't crazy. But because of the style of movie Marvel is, because it's not a straight up drama and is more actiony it's a hard film to get to win such awards. Basically Marvel needs to lobby hard in the right year with the right movie to win some stuff. The 'black' action film angle will work for it and a year with less stand out competition just mean if you're going to spend your money trying to get a Marvel film some awards it's the right film to pick in the right year.

Black Panther is not only not the best Marvel film it wasn't even the best Marvel film in the year, but politically speaking up to now it's still their film with the best chance of winning awards and is the first film that makes financial sense to try to get to win awards... but awards are absolutely meaningless because they are paid for.

Soldato
BP was ok but a pretty generic origin story that set the scene with a fairly ordinary and predictable plot. So yeah make your own conclusions based on that.

Loved infinity war but not sure it should be up for many awards, just not that kind of film.

Permabanned
It's not an Oscar nominee in most categories, except maybe costume, let alone a winner in any but the hype about "Marvels first Black Superhero film" is strong, despite being completely and utterly wrong as that honour would go to the Blade Trilogy of films (which I love), grossing over 500 Million Dollars (adjusted for inflation), a set of films that people have decided to completely ignore so that instead they can feel good by harping on about Black Panther :rolleyes:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-first-marvel-movie-superhero-was-black

This was a popular opinion that was being parroted at the time of BP's release and it's as floored an argument now as it was then. It was a completely different boiling pot of circumstances with regards to racial tension in Hollywood, as well as the position of the superhero flick when the first Blade released. Superhero movies are THE go to money makers for the medium at present. 4 of Marvels own flicks (including BP) are amongst the top 10 highest grossing movies of all time. BP itself made half of what all the Blade films made in a single weekend. THat's why BP is seen as a bigger deal then Blade in terms of scope and general impact.

People also choose to forget the complete difference in theme and tone between the two movies when they say "but Blade was there first". Black Panther actively rejoices in black culture, as well as highlighting and incorporating much of black tribal history. Blade just has a black dude as the main character.

No one forgot about Blade and to say we all did is to be largely ignorant of the political and filmic climate in which both films where released.

Soldato
Black Panther actively rejoices in black culture
I would suggest it does the complete opposite. It belittles real African culture.

It's suggesting the only way Africans can be any good is to be hit by a magic metal rock.

And even when you are superior you still need to hide from the scary white people for some BS reason. Quite insulting really. See ianh's review for more on this.

Permabanned
I would suggest it does the complete opposite. It belittles real African culture.

It's suggesting the only way Africans can be any good is to be hit by a magic metal rock.

And even when you are superior you still need to hide from the scary white people for some BS reason. Quite insulting really. See ianh's review for more on this.

I agree that the philosophical debate behind the theme itself can be argued about all day with valid points to be made on both sides (I happen to completely disagree with much of Ianh's analysis), but my original point was that it feels more proud of it's heritage then something like Blade. Of course, Blade wasn't shooting for the same thing thematically, which is why it's such a lame comparison.

Soldato
Opinions aren't facts -

Fact - Blade WAS Marvel's first black superhero film and no amount of mental gymnastics changes that.

Opinion - Blade doesn't count because it's existence ruins the narrative I wish to push.

So whilst people are perfectly free to have any opinion they wish, the Facts can't be changed, Blade came first.

Permabanned
Opinions aren't facts -

Fact - Blade WAS Marvel's first black superhero film and no amount of mental gymnastics changes that.

Opinion - Blade doesn't count because it's existence ruins the narrative I wish to push.

So whilst people are perfectly free to have any opinion they wish, the Facts can't be changed, Blade came first.

But no ones arguing that Blade didn't come first... I don't see your point here. Are we meant to mistrust the opinion of all who don't mention Blade in the same breath as Black Panther?

Back
Top Bottom