AKG K712 Pro VS. highend Game Headsets - Please Help

Associate
Hey guys,

i've literally spend 15h+ reasearching and trying to find a replacement for my broken Sennheiser G4me Zero.

Though the SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless does look amazing, i somehow feel like its a brand just like Razer. Customer Support seems shocking and generally i have a bad feeling with them..

so Currently i am thinking of following setup:
- AKG K712 Pro
- FiiO E10K Amp
- BLue Yeti Microphone

(i've also checked the Teufel, Beyerdynamics and ATH Headphones/Headsets, but AKG K712 seems better spec wise?)

I will mainly use the Headphone for everyday PC use. Playing Quake Champions/ Rocketleague, watching youtube, listening Rock/Metal and stuff like that.

The Budget generally does not matter.. but if i can get above setup for approx 300 euros (with discounts currently in my stores) and that would be better than a Sennheiser GPS600 or so, i'd prefer to spend it more reasonable.

What do you guys think about aboves Setup? I'm generally considering myself quite audiophile.
If Money would not matter too much (not keen on just throwing it out, but i had more budget at hand) what would your way to go choice be?

Thanks a lot for helping. i'm seriously lost in all the marketing nonsense and i really just want a setup that will replace my Sennheiser G4me Zero without it being a downgrade.

Edit:
or would the steel series arctis pro wireless still be a good choice, eventhough the sometimes sketchy and kinda "bought" reviews?

Kind Regards,
Roman

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have just slightly looked into it.. so far i dont get why it is that hyped.. the problem that i face is, that we dont have a return policy for headphones.. they fall under "hygene articles" and cannot be returned.. aswell as it is hard to find them to "try" them out.

so i would rather not jump just to a random gaming headset that appeared recently.. atleast the marketing does just look as hyped as the one for steelseries and i just feel like thats just overhyped.. no?

Is there any reasonable argument to go for the moebius over the steelseries? or a major accustical benefit over the AKG Setup?
(not saying i dont consider the moebius.. i just have a bad feeling about that one aswell... do you own it and would recommend it?)

Cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
I have just slightly looked into it.. so far i dont get why it is that hyped.. the problem that i face is, that we dont have a return policy for headphones.. they fall under "hygene articles" and cannot be returned.. aswell as it is hard to find them to "try" them out.

so i would rather not jump just to a random gaming headset that appeared recently.. atleast the marketing does just look as hyped as the one for steelseries and i just feel like thats just overhyped.. no?

Is there any reasonable argument to go for the moebius over the steelseries? or a major accustical benefit over the AKG Setup?
(not saying i dont consider the moebius.. i just have a bad feeling about that one aswell... do you own it and would recommend it?)

Cheers

IF you can't try the headphones before you buy and you can't return them once you buy them, then it's going to be a big risk buying any set of expensive headphones.

What headphones/headset do you have at the moment?

And where are you from that you cant return things?

Associate
OP
i'd love to just use one device.. just more convenient.

i currently own:
- Sennheiser PC363D (with the G4me Zero USB-Audiocard) (unfortunately broken.. they were great though a bit too open for my taste, eventhough i do appreciate openback headsets (not a must though)
- B&W C5 Series (amazing in-ears.. one of my favourite ones)
- Sennheiser Momentum 2 (theyy are okayish for music.. but somehow the treble is annoyingly high on my pc and makes them unusable, also they are uncomfortable)
- Bose SoundSport Free (EarBuds for during sport=))
- And i do also own a pair of Teufel Massive (though they are mainlyy my gfs)

Decent Wireless would be nice to have, would not be a must if there is good arguments against it appart from just the price.

i'm from switzerland... unfortunately thats the case for all headphones.. quite a **** policy... i had major fights years ago when i switched back my Logitech G933 beause the microphone was just shockinly bad and bought the Sennheiser instead which were quite okay, but i hoped to find an upgrade.

Sorry for being so clueless.. but it is really hard to get a good and solid overview.

Thanks for the help already=)

Soldato
I went from a Roccat (Kave 5.1?) headset to a Fiio E10K with CAL's on recommendation from this forum. Brilliant step upwards.
I'm now taking my next step up to AKG 702's which are noticeably more directional (for lack of a better word), identifying direction is significantly better with the AKG's compared to a lesser headphone.

For christmas my dear old mother has bought me a Schiit stack so the Fiio will be upgraded as well in an attempt to eek a bit better sound again.

Associate
I've had pc360D (or 363, can't remember). Great mic, decent enough cans, comfy. Ran them with a modded zxr. Could easy live with them.

Tried mobius, didn't get on with them for various reasons.

Tried arctis pro with the fancy DAC. Great sound, super comfy, but the mic is garbage.

Have gsp600/gsx1000. Decent enough sound, good direction but far from comfy compared to others and not cheap for what they are. Bass bloated. Won't be keeping.

Akg712. Keepers. Touch more bass than 702, I use them for casual music listening, YouTube etc hence choosing these over 702. Fantastic for gaming, super comfy - don't even feel them on your head, great directional sound. Currently paired with Soundblasterx g6 and mod mic.

Also tried h5xx/6xx for gaming, not great for fps, loose direction and soundstage.

Associate
OP
I've had pc360D (or 363, can't remember). Great mic, decent enough cans, comfy. Ran them with a modded zxr. Could easy live with them.

Tried mobius, didn't get on with them for various reasons.

Tried arctis pro with the fancy DAC. Great sound, super comfy, but the mic is garbage.

Have gsp600/gsx1000. Decent enough sound, good direction but far from comfy compared to others and not cheap for what they are. Bass bloated. Won't be keeping.

Akg712. Keepers. Touch more bass than 702, I use them for casual music listening, YouTube etc hence choosing these over 702. Fantastic for gaming, super comfy - don't even feel them on your head, great directional sound. Currently paired with Soundblasterx g6 and mod mic.

Also tried h5xx/6xx for gaming, not great for fps, loose direction and soundstage.
Amazing, the sennheiser were pretty alright. i never struggled with them. So these are some great references.

What about using the Steelseries Arctic pro but with a Blue Yeti mic or so? would that be the go to choice if possible? Because i do also do digital art and i really really hate if a wire is somewhere tangling. Wire is definitely no deal-breaker BUT if i could go for something as good audiowise in wireless as in wired, i'd probably lean towards the wireless option.

Or would you think that the AKG712 pro would beat the Steelseries Wireless in terms of audioquality,etc.?

Cheers for the answers from you guys and sorry for the maybe dumb questions..=)

Associate
The steel cans I had were with the game DAC which are wired, couldn't comment on the wireless version. If the mic was better then there's a fair chance I may have kept them. If wireless is a priority then sure, they'd be one to put on the list.

If you want to use another mic with them, then at least you've got the bonus of them having a retractable mic so you'll never notice it.

That's the only downside of the 712/modmic for me. Two trailing wires. I can live with it though and better managed by buying extra mod mic wire clips.

Associate
OP
the question is. are wireless alternatives appart from headsets like the CloudX and such?

also.. on the otherhand. the G712 and G702 just have stunning reviews... i feel like you really cant do anything wrong with that (except for the wired thingie.. *cough*)

Soldato
i'd love to just use one device.. just more convenient.

i currently own:
- Sennheiser PC363D (with the G4me Zero USB-Audiocard) (unfortunately broken.. they were great though a bit too open for my taste, eventhough i do appreciate openback headsets (not a must though)
- Sennheiser Momentum 2 (theyy are okayish for music.. but somehow the treble is annoyingly high on my pc and makes them unusable, also they are uncomfortable)
- Bose SoundSport Free (EarBuds for during sport=))
- And i do also own a pair of Teufel Massive (though they are mainlyy my gfs)

Decent Wireless would be nice to have, would not be a must if there is good arguments against it appart from just the price.

i'm from switzerland... unfortunately thats the case for all headphones.. quite a **** policy... i had major fights years ago when i switched back my Logitech G933 beause the microphone was just shockinly bad and bought the Sennheiser instead which were quite okay, but i hoped to find an upgrade.

Sorry for being so clueless.. but it is really hard to get a good and solid overview.

Thanks for the help already=)

Just after reading your other post properly and see someone recommended the Mobius. Well, they are fantastic, me and Woodsta88 have a pair and love them. But, just like any headphones, they aren't for everyone and Doug087 didn't like them at all. There is a huge thread on Headfi about them and the reviews are mainly positive. So they aren't overhyped at all. The great thing about them is that you don't need to match them with an amp and you don't need a sound card. You can also listen to them using your phone through Bluetooth. They are very comfortable and unless you happen to be one of unlucky people who don't get on with them, they are going to be a massive step up to what you have already.

It's going to be the same with the AKG K712pro or any headphones you order without testing. You just won't know until you try them on if they are for you. While saying that, chances are if you go with Audeze or the AKG's you are going to be delighted with them. They are both going to be an upgrade to what you have already.

Soldato
Playing Quake Champions/ Rocketleague
If you have quiet environment and don't need closed headphones, ~100€ AKG K702 would be top choise for picking out environment from sounds.
K712's stronger bass puts it notch behind bass neutral K702 for picking out details.
Shouldn't be surprise that stronger bass buries other sounds more easily.
But again for casual/more normal gaming "fun factor" is good amount better.
Same for movies etc.
And considering your other headphones, some above neutral punchiness in bass would likely be wanted thing.
I wonder if measurement method doesn't work for IEMs...
Because this is nothing but bass boom result:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BowersandWilkinsC5.pdf

Or would you think that the AKG712 pro would beat the Steelseries Wireless in terms of audioquality,etc.?
Closed design is challenge for accuracy of reproduction even for actual audio makers.
So I would question if that marketinghypeseries can challenge even 30€ Superlux HD-330.

Even most testing is worthless for accuracy of headphones.
Stereo music simply forgives total **** reproduction without sounding instantly bad.
For gaming capacility testing should be done with binaural sound, which doesn't forgive any bigger deficiencies.
While with good headphones there's good feel of even distance besides direction.

Assuming listener's headshape is close to average used by HRTF algorithms.
"Upstair's guy" not standardizing head shape is one thing.
Though maybe we'll get sound cards with head shape customizable HRTF in CES.

Associate
Tried the k712 didn't like them for gaming. But they are superb for music. K702 are end game for me for gaming and the plus side is I also prefer them over the k712 for music.

Soldato
Audeze software has this now.
It has nothing comparable.
Some circumference measurement does very little to tell about specific shape of face and head, or outer ear/pinnae.

Though of course getting 100% full data would require 3D scanning whole head... without hairs, or then measuring personal HRTF in controlled environment using small mics positioned in ear channels.
But both are very impractical/hard to arrange.

Soldato
And we get that 100% full data on a sound card at CES next year? Awesome!

Surely being able to put in at least head circumference and distance of where the ears are in that circumference, will give at least the distance between the ears so you eliminate under/over projection? Clearly the easiest and a measurement that would make the most difference would be distance between the ears?

Soldato
I have the AKG 712's and absolutely love mine for gaming. I do have a bunch of other headphones so prefer them slightly more for music, but for gaming not had anything better then the 712's they are lovely. As other's pointed out there is also the 702's which I also had, but personal preference is for the 712's. Sure while you loose some of the neutral element of the 702's, I can still pick out details perfectly with the 712's and rather enjoy the slight increase in bass.

Not sure what price your able to get them for, but if the price is reasonable, they are a great set of cans.

I would also take a peek at Massdrop stuff, there 58x and 6xx (HD650) are also pretty great. While I slightly prefer the AKG 712's for gaming, the HD can's are fantastic all arounders IMO and work slightly better for music (of course this is all personal preference)

Associate
OP
Hey Lads,

thanks a lot for the awesome suggestions and sorry for the long responsetime.

Since i simply could not decide and all, i have ordered the SteelSeries arctis Pro Wireless from amazon. Just for a try. if i like them, good. if i have a slight doubt in quality compared to my PC363D, i won't hesitate to ship it back and really do the AKG712 non-wireless setup.

For now due to my digital art and generally my PC placement, the flexibility that would come with Wirelessheadphones won against the wired option.. atleast for a tryout.

I will keep you updated how i like my SS Arctis Pro.

Thanks a lot guys! Majorly appreciated

Soldato
Hey Lads,

thanks a lot for the awesome suggestions and sorry for the long responsetime.

Since i simply could not decide and all, i have ordered the SteelSeries arctis Pro Wireless from amazon. Just for a try. if i like them, good. if i have a slight doubt in quality compared to my PC363D, i won't hesitate to ship it back and really do the AKG712 non-wireless setup.

For now due to my digital art and generally my PC placement, the flexibility that would come with Wirelessheadphones won against the wired option.. atleast for a tryout.

I will keep you updated how i like my SS Arctis Pro.

Thanks a lot guys! Majorly appreciated

What?? You said you couldn't return headphones? LOL Why not just buy the 712pro or the mobius or whatever headphones you wanted from Amazon and return them if you didn't like them?

Back
Top Bottom