Internal Transfer - Salary Negotiation

Soldato
Afternoon all,

In the new year I'll be transitioning into a new role with my current employer - from the production floor into an Engineering role. This is seen as an internal promotion with us. It'll be good to have a new challenge.

Now, my question is, what's the best way to go about salary negotiation? Obviously there will be that consideration, but I'd like to go into that meeting prepared. As it's not a new role in a new company, I certainly don't want to put any noses out of joint which potentially hinder future progression and opportunities. They are also providing further training, which I should also take into account.

For info, I am moving from a Production Test Technician role to a Manufacturing Engineer (my degree field). My current salary is £25k, based in Hemel Hempstead.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Ben

Caporegime
Just ask IMO, obviously do your research and try to establish the market rates for the role but other than that presumably this is a role you would quite like or perhaps have applied for?

If it is a promotion and it is something you'd want/have already accepted etc... then there is less room for negotiation than say if management were trying to persuade you to leave your new role and take on something new. Having said that they generally don't want you to be massively underpaid as that poses a retention issue for them and they obviously value you if they're giving you a promotion so a raise is perfectly reasonable to ask for especially if the market rates for the new role are higher.

Just keep in mind that there might well be internal rules re: pay rises, if there is a substantial jump in the usual rates for the new role vs your current role than you might well find that, as an internal hire, it isn't as easy for them to pay you at that level vs an external hire. If that is the case then highlighting it and perhaps working towards some goals and ideally some assurances of being taken care of in future years too might be the way to go (and obviously be prepared to leave if any assurances don't then materialise).

Soldato
OP
Just ask IMO, obviously do your research and try to establish the market rates for the role but other than that presumably this is a role you would quite like or perhaps have applied for?

If it is a promotion and it is something you'd want/have already accepted etc... then there is less room for negotiation than say if management were trying to persuade you to leave your new role and take on something new. Having said that they generally don't want you to be massively underpaid as that poses a retention issue for them and they obviously value you if they're giving you a promotion so a raise is perfectly reasonable to ask for especially if the market rates for the new role are higher.

Just keep in mind that there might well be internal rules re: pay rises, if there is a substantial jump in the usual rates for the new role vs your current role than you might well find that, as an internal hire, it isn't as easy for them to pay you at that level vs an external hire. If that is the case then highlighting it and perhaps working towards some goals and ideally some assurances of being taken care of in future years too might be the way to go (and obviously be prepared to leave if any assurances don't then materialise).

Thanks for advice. I interviewed some time ago for a different role, however when discussed it was too large of a step for me given my current experience. This role is in a different team and is much more suited to me, so it's been suggested to me as well as applied for, if that makes sense? Like you say, they seem to value me as an employee so it could be worth purely asking - they may be agreeable.

I've found a few examples of the role externally, so will use them in any negotiations. Nothing is in writing as of yet, so I feel my position is stronger in that regard - as you say, it could be worth having a progression plan, ie meeting certain KPIs over a longer period so I have some financial progression.

My employer is notoriously slow at handling paperwork as our HR department is constantly short staffed, so fingers crossed they can come up with an offer on paper before starting the new role.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Are there other people doing the role that you will be doing? Just ask them how much they earn/started on etc, will at least give you a rough idea.

Commissario
Afternoon all,

In the new year I'll be transitioning into a new role with my current employer - from the production floor into an Engineering role. This is seen as an internal promotion with us. It'll be good to have a new challenge.

Now, my question is, what's the best way to go about salary negotiation? Obviously there will be that consideration, but I'd like to go into that meeting prepared. As it's not a new role in a new company, I certainly don't want to put any noses out of joint which potentially hinder future progression and opportunities. They are also providing further training, which I should also take into account.

For info, I am moving from a Production Test Technician role to a Manufacturing Engineer (my degree field). My current salary is £25k, based in Hemel Hempstead.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Ben
Hemel Hempstead? What you doing in my neck of the woods?!

Soldato
OP
Hemel Hempstead? What you doing in my neck of the woods?!

Didn't know you were around here! I'm back from Canada whilst my residency sorts itself out, landed on my feet it seems - chuck me a PM :)

In response to others, I've had a meeting to discuss the position. Essentially, my salary is staying the same - however I'm going to be undertaking plenty of training with the option to come back in 6 months and up my salary accordingly. I'm ok for money right now, so I'm happy to take the training option, as some of it is quite specialized, so it's good for the CV moving forward.

Caporegime
Did you do some research and find the market rates for the various roles? Is it roughly in line with what you're earning already or not much of a rise? If it is a role that generally pays more then did you ask for more money?

If you didn't ask then I'd perhaps set some expectations now if you're hoping for a pay rise in 6 months time and or I'd ask what sort of pay you'd be looking at then. If you're underpaid even after a pay rise in 6 months then you can find out rather quickly by just putting your CV out there and interviewing at other places.

Soldato
OP
Did you do some research and find the market rates for the various roles? Is it roughly in line with what you're earning already or not much of a rise? If it is a role that generally pays more then did you ask for more money?

If you didn't ask then I'd perhaps set some expectations now if you're hoping for a pay rise in 6 months time and or I'd ask what sort of pay you'd be looking at then. If you're underpaid even after a pay rise in 6 months then you can find out rather quickly by just putting your CV out there and interviewing at other places.

The other similar roles from what I've seen don't command a huge amount more, salary-wise. However they do require the training and a bit of experience, so I'm happy to stay where I am in order to gain the required experience.

I'll be receiving a list of KPIs and have monthly meetings to discuss progress. That's a good idea setting expectations - I can meter my salary against others out there and go from there. Thanks for the advice :)

Soldato
I would advise having some sort of career plan to enable you to get to the type of roles and salary that you are aiming for.

Once I graduated (far too long ago !!) I spent a few years moving between job roles building the rounded experience I needed to progress. Then when a good opportunity was available I took advantage of it, moved to another part of the country and my career progressed from there. There is an element of calculated risk taking in this which can be a lot harder if you own a house and have a family at the time.

Soldato
OP
What an awful salary

Thank you for your well considered and helpful post. Duly ignored.

I would advise having some sort of career plan to enable you to get to the type of roles and salary that you are aiming for.

Once I graduated (far too long ago !!) I spent a few years moving between job roles building the rounded experience I needed to progress. Then when a good opportunity was available I took advantage of it, moved to another part of the country and my career progressed from there. There is an element of calculated risk taking in this which can be a lot harder if you own a house and have a family at the time.

That’s the plan, to gain experience here then if my progression goals aren’t met with opportunities (training and salary-wise), then I’ll be time to move on. Thanks for the advice :)

Back
Top Bottom