• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1080Ti - Will it last?

Soldato
I've just this minute bought a 32" 1440p 75Hz monitor for £198. For my needs (and I'd say most user's needs) that's more than adequate :)
Yeah no doubt it's adequate! But the point is that a £400-450 1440p 144hz g sync is around £100 more than a non g sync equivalent. The smoothness and playability it brings to lower framerates like 40fps makes it totally worth it imo.

V F

V F

Soldato
"in general"

@Shaz12 ; What "tearing stuttery mess"? I've been happily gaming on my 1080p, 60Hz monitor for over 4 years.

Again; over-hyped.

Because you have probably gotten used to it. I was also gaming on a 60hz monitor until a month ago and didn’t notice it. I upgraded to a 144hz gsync monitor and now the difference is obvious. Try out 144hz with gsync and you wont want to go back.

It's true what you say but only 4 years? I'm still on a 60Hz from 2005 and can see and feel how horrid 60Hz is for arena fps. You see it more with LG tracking and rail shots. 60Hz is so jittery that I've had to lower the mouse down to 300dpi/2.3 sens to compensate for now until I see what the new 0.5ms monitors are like.

Most good LG players I've read who played at 60Hz said they average 34 - 37% then going 144 - 165Hz it went to 42 - 47%.

Associate
OP
Well, didn't expect to read through 3 pages but thanks to all.

In honesty, the G-Sync monitor has helped no end and for me spending £400 pound now instead of buying a 2080Ti or 1080Ti etc is well worth it, brough a big more life into my system and I will cope with it until CES19 and see what comes of that. I'm making the decision of stepping away from my build altogether at this point and going to build another system. Budget of 3k, I have everything else that I need and my keyboard is still going strong and same for the mouse.

On a different subject I have no idea where to start on a new build, although I do like the Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D SE RGB MIDI TOWER case for a start. What goes inside I've no idea.

Massive thanks again, been good reading everyone's replies. Missed this forum.

Soldato
I personally own 4 games that max it out.

You keep pointing out maxwell cards, but maxwell cards are not as capable as a 1080ti.

Its hard to explain but what I mean is this, for many many generations the most powerful gpu in that generation was never powerful enough at least without SLI.
Pascal was the first generation where a single card was powerful enough to play games at max resolution at 60fps.

Maxwell was never powerful enough to do this, even on launch day. Same with all previous generations.

I expect if a 1080ti is good enough now for your needs, it will remain that way until we see next gen consoles at the very least, which is predicted in 2020.

Nvidia know this as well, so they had to create a tech for consumer space which "slows cards down", hence RT. Because otherwise people would stay on pascal with it been "good enough", the exceptions been those who always want the latest GPU.

4 games? That not very good enough to maxed out on 1080 Ti.

I checked both techpowerup, gamegpu and other sites to find lots of 2018 and old games which 1080 Ti are struggled to maxed out at 4K a year after launch that the same thing happened to Maxwell, Kepler, Tesla 2.0, Tesla 1.0 even since back to 3dfx day when I found my old Voodoo card struggled with heavy demanded games and upgraded to Banshee. It really not very hard to explain, it is called GPU bottleneck.

Here are some 2018 games benchmark reviews list below 1080 Ti cant hit above 4K 60 fps with graphics settings maxed out:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
Darksiders III
Dragon Quest XI
Dying Light Bad Blood
Far Cry 3
Far Cry 5
Final Fantasy XV
Fortnite
Generation Zero
Ghost of a Tale
Hitman 2
Hunt Showdown
Jurassic World Evolution
Just Cause 4
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Monster Hunter World
No Man's Sky Next
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Shadows: Awakening
State of Decay 2
Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia
Total War WARHAMMER II
Vampyr
War Thunder
Warhammer Vermintide 2
Yakuza 0

Some of above games 1080 Ti only hit 4K 30 fps as well as my old GTX 1070 struggled to hit 1440p 60 fps maxed out in Just Cause 4, Far Cry 3 and other games.

If people really want a GPU that will not bottleneck in games between now and in 2019 at 4K above 60 fps, you will have to buy either RTX 2080 Ti or RTX Titan which these 2 cards will be very powerful enough to drive 8K games at above 30 fps with DLSS so your 1080 Ti will not handle 8K games at playable fps with maxed out graphics settings.

Associate
Just as the 980Ti had long legs into the future so will the GTX 1080Ti. The 980Ti is still a very capable card - it's 3 years old now and it easily compete with the legendary GeForce 8800GTX about being a card with a very long life cycle.

If you find GTX 1080Ti for a good price, I'd jump onto it straight away. It's a great card. I have both RTX 2080 and GTX 1080Ti, at this time and the 1080Ti still does an awesome job competing with the RTX 2080.

Soldato
It is only worth it because Nvidia not letting their users to have the option to be able to use Adaptive Sync though.

It's like nobody is disputing that Intel's i7 9700K and i9 9900K platform is not better than the AMD 2700x platform, but the cost vs gain is just not worth it for the most typical users, except for those that just want to absolute best despite the real-world advantage isn't really that huge.

Associate
It is only worth it because Nvidia not letting their users to have the option to be able to use Adaptive Sync though.

Plus amd aren't currently competing at top end gpu space. If you want a fast gpu and sync tech then you just have to shell out on team green. This is how I ended up with g-sync.

Associate
[QUOTE="AthlonXP1800, post: 32347603, member: 165419] snip [/QUOTE]
What a load of nonsense you guys talk about. No one who ever owned 4k for more than a month has ever worried realistically about maxing a AAA.
I can't max tomb raider 2014 at 4k on a 1080ti.
The imprptant thing to look at is the uplift over the 1080ti which currently sits at 30-40% and will likely improve.
But if the sub 60fps at max is so horrendous than a 2080ti will not help much.
Why do o say this. Take your 30fps 1080ti games. They will be around 39-42 on a 2080ti which is still awful.
You want average figures in 75-90 range depending on game to stay over 60 at 0.1%minimums. this obvs goes down with gsync in mind.
The 2080ti is a good chunk faster but no where near maxing 4k 60. It's not a magic 4k card. The marketing pretend every single generation the new top dog is the first ever true 4k card since the 980ti where it became fashionable. There has never been one.
But you do not need to. AA is almost useless for most 27-29 inch or smaller 4k monitors. So why have that on anyway?
4k is about compromising settings for image clarity. Which I am still all about as I moved to 1440/144 which is slightly more GPU intensive

Soldato
Was going to buy a 2080ti till I seen the price of them I even sold my 1080ti to buy one,so I've now bought a new EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 for a good price and put a 5 year warranty on it so I don't need to worry for a while as I game with a x34p monitor and the 1080ti does everything I need for gaming.
So if you can pick up a cheap 1080ti go for it mate.

Soldato
4 games? That not very good enough to maxed out on 1080 Ti.

I checked both techpowerup, gamegpu and other sites to find lots of 2018 and old games which 1080 Ti are struggled to maxed out at 4K a year after launch that the same thing happened to Maxwell, Kepler, Tesla 2.0, Tesla 1.0 even since back to 3dfx day when I found my old Voodoo card struggled with heavy demanded games and upgraded to Banshee. It really not very hard to explain, it is called GPU bottleneck.

Here are some 2018 games benchmark reviews list below 1080 Ti cant hit above 4K 60 fps with graphics settings maxed out:

I meant I have played 4 games that max out the 11 gig vram, or at least go over the 8 gig limit of lower cards. Also I game at 1440p at the most, although I may downscale from 4k if there its viable or apply SGSSAA.

My opinion is still the same regarding your list, I dont think before a new console gen we will get more demanding games that exist now, excluding RT.

Caporegime
Was going to buy a 2080ti till I seen the price of them I even sold my 1080ti to buy one,so I've now bought a new EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 for a good price and put a 5 year warranty on it so I don't need to worry for a while as I game with a x34p monitor and the 1080ti does everything I need for gaming.
So if you can pick up a cheap 1080ti go for it mate.

Exactly my thoughts on it.

Associate
Exactly my thoughts on it.

Can’t agree with this enough! I’m so glad I held on to my GTX1080ti as I was originally planning to upgrade but at £1000+ definitely not! Even though I could afford it, I refuse to part with that much money for a card with marginally better performance. Since I don’t game at 4K and have a 75Hz 3840x1600 monitor I’d rather not “just buy it!” as some hardware review sites would suggest.

Even if I was in the market now and had to buy now I wouldn’t go with anything above an RTX2080.

Soldato
here's me thinking my GTX 970 was still a good buy considering it plays everything @ 1080p over 60fps fine, I was considering a used 1080/ti recent;y

Back
Top Bottom