• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Proprietary vs open standard nearly 4 years on

Associate
Been on both the freesync and gsync wagon and there are still times i prefer to run my monitor at a static refresh rate. IMHO variable refresh rate comes with its own set of problems which are amplified the further below 80ish fps you go.

I don't really understand why people are so obsessive with the lower end to being around 30hz.. its terrible, freesync or gsync, it just stinks to high heaven. If a game cannot hit atleast 60ish i simply don't bother. Of course this is my personal preference and i understand that others may disagree i just cannot see why they would. But i guess if a person is happy with 30ish fps then they have it easier when picking parts for their pc :)

The FreeSync range on my monitor is 48-75Hz but at 3840x1600 there is a lot of pixels to drive so went with a GTX1080ti as I prefer ultrawide for productivity and gaming for me is secondary. I’m not a competitive gamer, so I don’t find that not having either FreeSync or G-Sync has a negative impact on my age limited competitiveness.

Personally I think CES 2019 will see monitor releases and prices reduce especially in the 4K monitor space. However for those after high resolution high framerate gaming, until AMD are competitive in the higher end GPU space that G-Sync will remain popular with those with deep pockets.

What will be interesting is to see how G-Sync HDR evolves, obviously it’s very niche at the moment but if I was wanting a monitor I’d be waiting until CES 2019 before dropping money on a G-Sync display.

Soldato
still have a bog standard 1080p 144hz monitor here, not locked in either way and never had tearing problems so wouldn't know what the tech enhances until I experience it

Soldato
still have a bog standard 1080p 144hz monitor here, not locked in either way and never had tearing problems so wouldn't know what the tech enhances until I experience it

I literally just picked up 144hz 1440p monitor with neither FreeSync or GSync and I must admit I don’t have any tearing issues.

Considering this particular model let’s me select between 60, 100, 120 and 144hz refresh rates I can mix and match based on what game I’m playing and to what frames.

For example I don’t want to sacrifice all detail on PUBG to reach 144fps consistently so I’ve dropped to 120hz and it’s a joy to play.

Yeah there will be the odd time it will drop which is where FreeSync and GSync come in handy but having an Nvidia card I couldn’t justify the additional cost for GSync for a minimal impact.

Soldato
Well the issue with vsync is if you cannot maintain framerate then you get a big judder as it moves to the next vsync'd framerate e.g. 60 to 30.

The advantage of adaptive sync is to be freed from those shackles whilst also not getting tearing, so it seems kind of dumb to make an adaptive sync tech that has a 48fps min operating requirement, kind of defeats the purpose.

Back
Top Bottom