Snow Sports Thread 2018-19

Soldato
those pants will be perfect! in terms of socks I'd suggest Stance! Honestly the best thing I've ever worn! only need about 3 pairs for a week or so, backpack I'd go a dakine heli bag they small and sit nice and tight on the back. As for back protection that's up to you, If you think you'll need it go for it, However I do think for the decent stuff it's expensive, But you can't really put a price on safety.

They came in the post yesterday. I'm a gym rat so have a rather annoying waist to hip/thigh ratio, but with the velcro adjusters on the waist they're not slipping down me too badly. They're a bit long as I'm a 30 leg but I guess that doesn't matter given how big the boots are.

I got a couple of 100% merino socks as well as two 100% merino base layers, with the plan being to alternate between them and hopefully they'll live up to the 'won't whiff' hype. Just need gloves (and travel insurance) and I'm more or less done: they're the one thing I need to really try a bunch on at the same time to see what fits best so haven't ordered them online.

Don
OP
You can wear merino wool for days on end without it smelling, I tend to wear mine for a couple of days and then change, but I worn some upto 5 days without it smelling.

Last edited:
Associate
possibly a backpack
If you're learning, I'd try to stay away from the backpack - it can mess with balance and make things more difficult. Sure, it's nice to have some food/drink with you, but honestly it makes it more difficult when getting the basics.

As for back protector - tbh, I wouldn't worry (but, equally, I'd never want to advertise not wearing safety gear). But, if you're snowboarding then I'd HIGHLY recommend impact shorts (like padded cycling shorts) and can help your coccyx in any fall (and provide some insulation when sat around). Also wrist guards and certainly a helmet...

Soldato
If you're learning, I'd try to stay away from the backpack - it can mess with balance and make things more difficult. Sure, it's nice to have some food/drink with you, but honestly it makes it more difficult when getting the basics.

As for back protector - tbh, I wouldn't worry (but, equally, I'd never want to advertise not wearing safety gear). But, if you're snowboarding then I'd HIGHLY recommend impact shorts (like padded cycling shorts) and can help your coccyx in any fall (and provide some insulation when sat around). Also wrist guards and certainly a helmet...

I got a tiny backpack, it's just big enough to stow away a mid-layer in if I get too warm and a small bottle of water so I don't see that it'll do much to mess with my balance. I should note that when I was younger I roller bladed quite a bit, and although skiing is obviously different in many respects I'm assuming the balance/weight distribution is similar. My balance and body awareness is pretty good generally from all the yoga I do too. The back protection was more because I read one big cause of injury is being taken out from behind by other people, but then if I'm on the nursery slopes and the easy ones later in the week I imagine people won't be blitzing downhill.

I got impact shorts - they're the Demon ones with D30 in the coccyx. They make wearing the ski pants a bit more restrictive but not to the point of being unwearable. I think they'll come in handy even if I ski since they have padding on the hips and that seems a common impact point when you go over skiing.

Going to rent the helmet, ski/snowboard boots and the skis/board themselves - I think I've spent enough this first time round!

I do still need gloves and goggles though but I think I'm good for everything else.

Soldato
You will be absolutely fine with a backpack, I use one with a drink pouch in, small and just for a snack, drinks pouch and walkie talkie in it. Never had an issue.

Soldato
You can wear merino wool for days on end without it smelling, I tend to wear mine for a couple of days and then change, but I worn some upto 5 days without it smelling.

I got the most Merino wool-rich socks from Decathlon, along with a 100% merino base layer (Quechua) from there and one off Amazon (brand was Lapasa) as well that was good value for money, they both fit well and didn't itch when I wore them, so the plan is wear them alternate days, so for the skiing I shouldn't have to pack too much compared to the casual evening wear.

Goggles sorted so just need gloves - I think at this point I'm set on skiing and it's not going to be mentally cold so I suppose I want something water/windproof, good for around freezing but dexterous/grippy for the poles...

Oh and travel insurance. Really need that!

Associate
Decathlon thermals and socks are fine, used them for years - but usually have to buy more each season.

gloves - crazy as it sounds, but looks for some leather, lined gardening gloves (usually tan coloured). WAY cheaper than "official" snow gloves and just as good - and you'll fit in with local instructors...

Personally, I like mits, so have a pair of http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/Ski-Gloves mits that are great. They used to have a 10% off code with "SHOW" or "SHOW10" - dunno if it still works, but give it a go ;)

Travel insurance - check your bank, if you have insurance with the bank. yes, they're not great snow policies, but for beginner slopes, and rental gear, they should be fine. Personally, I've used InsureAndGo for the last 4 or 5 years, as they cover both park and off-piste, so I'm ok. Before that Dogtag and others, but they all seemed to add more and more restrictions to off-piste and park use. Sure, you only know how good the companies are when they come to a claim, but at least I feel I have something... If you're heading to Europe, make sure to get an EHIC card for your wallet, just in case... (I know seasonairs in France that don't have travel insurance and just rely on EHIC and possibly a carte neige)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks! I'll see if I can find some that fit that description. I've seen people talk about mountain bike gloves like that too as they're usually a bit cheaper than ski ones. It's not going to be -20 or anything so the great big gloves and mittens are probably way OTT anyway. Also thanks for the travel insurance stuff, that's useful. I do have a EHIC!

Associate
tbh, I'd avoid mtb gloves. Yes, I've used some light-weight (non waterproof) snow gloves (listed as pipe gloves) for mtb in the winter, but you want something 100% waterproof, which I've not really had out of mtb gloves. (but, I've never needed waterproof when biking as I'm happy with wet hands, so I've just not tried any)

why is waterproof so key? when learning you'll be falling over and then picking yourself back up (certainly if you try boarding). if you've not got waterproof gloves you hands are going to get cold v v quickly, and then the gloves will be minging to put on the following day(s)

Caporegime
Leather work gloves with fur lining is the best (the traditional sheepskin style), wax the leather outer. They aren't 100% waterproof but work well, and wool stay warms even when wet.
The leather outer will last a long time. The problem with all ski gloves is they get destroyed in no time; sharp ski edges, rope toes, holding poles, sliding falls.

Gloves are actually quite tricky to get right. You want some degree of waterpoofness but they also need to be breathable because if you sweat then you can get very cold hands later. Even with goretex liners you struggle to get gloves that are both waterproof and breathable enough. You then have the issue that when it gets cold out, your hands can really nose dive in temperatures and your body starts diverting blood. Your hands are very exposed when skiing so you have to factor the windchill. But of course gloves that are too thick and you will get too hot and sweat away which can exasperate the situation later.

I don't think you can really have 1 glove for all conditions, even on the same day it makes sense to be prepared.
I have dozens of different gloves but for a ski holiday I would pack:
1 standard pair for every day use.
1 thinner pair for milder days, for use as a backup, or for apres ski. Typically in backpack if it starts cold but warms up a lot in the day, potentially swapping back in the later afternoon when it gets cold.
1 pair glove liners, carried in backpack. If you start to get too cold then these help a lot. You can take you hand out of the thick glove to gain dexterity but protect form worst of wind/cold.
1 Pair down mittens with goretex down shell. If it gets really cold then this is the only way to go. When really cold can add the liner gloves.

I've been skiing over 25 years, sometimes over 70-80 days a season (before family...). Getting gloves right is still not exactly simple. There are vastly different temperatures between 1pm in the sun at resort level vs 9am/4pm at 3200m on a shady north face powder slopes with a strong wind. No single pair of gloves will cover those scenarios.

Soldato
The plan was to get some merino liner gloves (I had some Icebreaker ones already but they've developed holes in the fingers so had to bin) then something a bit substantial (but not huge) to go over them. There's so much choice and price ranges it's got me stumped! The expected conditions according to the internet:

The weather in Bansko in January is ideal for skiing. It’s the coldest month of the year with an average daytime temperature of 1°C, although this can rise to 5°C on milder days. The average night time level is a chilly -3°C. The sunshine attracts lots of visitors in January. There’s an average of four hours each day from nine hours of daylight and the sun doesn’t set until 5.15pm for much of the month. It’s one of the drier months here in Bulgaria with just 32mm of rainfall. The wind speed is low, like it is most of the year, at around 5mph and the humidity should measure 84%.

Soldato
Decathlon thermals and socks are fine, used them for years - but usually have to buy more each season.

gloves - crazy as it sounds, but looks for some leather, lined gardening gloves (usually tan coloured). WAY cheaper than "official" snow gloves and just as good - and you'll fit in with local instructors...

Personally, I like mits, so have a pair of http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/Ski-Gloves mits that are great. They used to have a 10% off code with "SHOW" or "SHOW10" - dunno if it still works, but give it a go ;)

Travel insurance - check your bank, if you have insurance with the bank. yes, they're not great snow policies, but for beginner slopes, and rental gear, they should be fine. Personally, I've used InsureAndGo for the last 4 or 5 years, as they cover both park and off-piste, so I'm ok. Before that Dogtag and others, but they all seemed to add more and more restrictions to off-piste and park use. Sure, you only know how good the companies are when they come to a claim, but at least I feel I have something... If you're heading to Europe, make sure to get an EHIC card for your wallet, just in case... (I know seasonairs in France that don't have travel insurance and just rely on EHIC and possibly a carte neige)

Something like these? Your 10% code worked as well. Thanks!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Took a day off work to ski verbier before the crowds come. Good piste conditions but off-piste is thin, highly variable snow and not really worth it. Provably wont go back until March as verbier in high season is just awful.

Soldato
Something like these? Your 10% code worked as well. Thanks!
I think if youre just going bansko snowboarding anything should be fine. Went there snowboarding for my first holiday about 4 years ago.

I used a 20 quid pair of thick gloves from amazon in bansko, but can recommend some goretex ones (mine are dakine, Mrs got berghaus). Sportspursuit.com has some good offers on all kit, think mine were about £40.

I highly recommend buying some coccyx protection/padded shorts and also having lessons beforehand (it will improve your enjoyment 100%).

As long as your bag isn't too heavy should be OK boarding. I used one as a beginner with Dslr and water etc and was OK. If you can get a waist/chest attachment that's useful.

Sadly I'm not going snowboarding this year/season!

Caporegime
If you do learn to snowboard remember that boards don't have brakes... Don't take them off unless you’re on a flat surface and you’re sure is not going to slide somewhere... Runaway boards are far more common than you may think. They’re also a danger to other slope users as they can disappear like a rocket and they can be a pain to retrieve. Not that brakes on skis always work, but it’s a lot less common.:p

And regarding injury, from experience it’s pretty much the same, boarders just have different injuries to skiers (although there are commonalities). The biggest factor in all of it is the fact most are beginners or inexperienced boarders/skiers, so take your time, but also remember that pushing yourself is how you improve.

Have fun either way. Skiing is more practical, but from a fun/recreation perspective both have their positives.

On a related note this time of year is the busiest for ski hills. The slopes this weekend were crowded and the almost every injury I encountered involved a collision, a snowboarder trashing a skier from behind.

That said I don’t think it’s necessarily an issue with snowboarders/boarding in general, just an unfortunate number of a certain type of person attracted to boarding. The sort of person that goes too fast for the conditions/locations, spending too much time listening to their music rather than paying attention to those around them. Not that some skiers are any better mind you, it just seems there’s less of then and/or they have more manouverability, so don’t cause as many incidents.

Either way, moral of the story is don’t be a **** and slow down when it’s busy/crowded, and ski to your abilities/snow conditions. :p

Associate
Either way, moral of the story is don’t be a **** and slow down when it’s busy/crowded, and ski to your abilities/snow conditions. :p
it's always silly at the start of each season - people are giddy to be back on snow plus they're trying to ride/ski to the quality/ability that they were at the end of the last season, even though they've just had 7+ months away from snow and are probably lacking fitness

Associate
Just booked Saalbach for our group of 5, 1st week in March. 3rd visit in the last 3 seasons for us. We like :D:cool:

Ended up booking a week in Saalbach, 2nd week in March, very much looking forward to it as I've been wanting to go for sometime.

Before that however I've got a fortnight in the Dolomites to look forward to, roll on the 26th Jan! :)

Caporegime
it's always silly at the start of each season - people are giddy to be back on snow plus they're trying to ride/ski to the quality/ability that they were at the end of the last season, even though they've just had 7+ months away from snow and are probably lacking fitness

The seasons almost two months old here (started at the beginning of november).

The issue is the slopes are busy with a lot of beginners at this time of year (Christmas/New year break). Unfortunately that mean many regulars are skiing/boarding like the slopes are empty and not adjusting for the crowds.

There’s a consistent problem with people going too fast all year round, it just gets exacerbated at certain times of year. Its one of the reasons there’s slow signage in beginner areas, not that anyone pays attention...! We also have patrollers stationed at crunch points for this very reason. Standing and waving usually slows most people down.

Back
Top Bottom