Road Cycling

Soldato
Oh I like that. I’ve got the 350XL set already so know they are decent. Plus I have an eBay voucher so it brings it down to £38!

I had the 800XL for over 3 years before it jacked it in.
They have since updated and the button, charge port and sturdiness have all improved as well as the lumen output. £38 is super good and your 350XL becomes your backup. Jobs a good un.

Soldato
Might have some bikes back soon. Finally got my new bars for my Canyon as UPS were unable to follow their delightful website instructions so I had to go pick them up, and Shimano have agreed to replace my caliper, as i'ts the old ultegra I'm being sent a nice new one! Just in time for the winter! although I've been enjoying riding the Ridley when it's still sort of dry!

Soldato
https://www.strava.com/activities/2010159573 :D :D :lol:

Harry Tanfield training with Katusha

Did do Marcel in the last sprint mind, 1300 peak, just sayin..
:D

Thanks guys, will pick one of those up. Assume it will fit on aero bars ok?
As with any mounts on aero bars, you'll have to check. Rubber band style obviously fit easier.

Oh I like that. I’ve got the 350XL set already so know they are decent. Plus I have an eBay voucher so it brings it down to £38!
Incredible light for that money!

Might have some bikes back soon. Finally got my new bars for my Canyon as UPS were unable to follow their delightful website instructions so I had to go pick them up, and Shimano have agreed to replace my caliper, as i'ts the old ultegra I'm being sent a nice new one! Just in time for the winter! although I've been enjoying riding the Ridley when it's still sort of dry!
Good news! Amazing you got the Shimano replacement, how old was it?!

We've been damn lucky so far with the weather... That week/10 days around a month ago then not really miserable winter temps/conditions since. Things may change the next week or so, but still. This time last year it snowed really heavy and I was catching a lift to work as couldn't get the car off the drive, nevermind considering cycling! :o :D

Soldato
So I'm building up a new roadie, is there any reason why I shouldn't buy an Ultegra R8000 groupset for it given that they're 50% off on Wiggle at the moment? Could I get anything 2nd hand for the same money (around £500) which is even comparable?

Soldato
it's a lot of groupset for £500

the only real consideration is that 105 R7000 is also a lot of groupset, and under £400. imo the sweet spots are R7000 and then ultegra di2.

put the £100 into the wheels, you'll notice it far more there.

Soldato
Or buy a 6800 groupset (if you can find it) for even less!? :cool:

DI2. Talk to me. If I was sinking max of £1k on a groupset should I try to go budget eTap or full fat di2. Will be with hydraulic discs (which makes me think di2 for shimano levers & calipers is the better option than SRAM?).

Soldato
eTap's only available at the Red level, with no sign of a force-level one on the horizon, so unless you're considering dura ace then the price differential is huge

Soldato
That's along with what I thought - eTap being a £1500+ choice once factoring in things like calipers & cranksets.

To be fair the expensive side of di2 it is always going to be the levers... The rest of it I can buy in 'bits' to build up as I go to spread the cost... But I really need a frame as no point buying components without a frame to put them on! ;)

Soldato
I might be wrong, but from memory.

I’d probably buy 7000 and spend more on wheels but depends what wheels you have already. When my old man bought earlier this year I recommended him 8000 & wheels over Di2 and poorer wheels. :)

8000 has totally different cranks which you can fit any rings on there and does away with double or compact (110/130bcd).

I imagine 7000 is the same, which would make it more appealing to buy 7000 over 6800 (at a discounted price).

Soldato
6800 still used 4 bolt 110 so can swqp from compact to semi compact.

Main upgrades are shadow rear mech, tpggle style front mech making the front shift lighter and improved ergonomics on the hoods(gripier hood and more angular lever blade/bigger downshift paddle.)

Soldato
Got my brake nuts today.

No issues with the front fork now, brakes fit a treat. Going to have a nice Matt Black/Black/Silver theme going on with this bike.

It will mark the carbon with the star washers that stop the callipers rotating when I fit them, sad times :(

Soldato
Or buy a 6800 groupset (if you can find it) for even less!? :cool:

DI2. Talk to me. If I was sinking max of £1k on a groupset should I try to go budget eTap or full fat di2. Will be with hydraulic discs (which makes me think di2 for shimano levers & calipers is the better option than SRAM?).

For what it's worth,

I just got a R8000 di2 groupset (with CeramicSpeed jockey wheels) for £600 on ebay and some R785 di2 hydro shifters (and calipers) for £160.
(the group deal excluded cable calipers and shifters but included crankset, chain and cassette).

Soldato

Depends really, with both DA Di2 and eTap, I'd say for me they both have pros and cons:

eTap Pros: So simple to setup, charging is easy with removable batteries, quick charge, get used to the double paddle front change and it's nice, great shifting
eTap Cons: paddles and levers feel a little less robust than the di2

Di2 pros: smooth as shifting, more potential features/ integrations (BT, top hood buttons, sync shifting etc.), feels really well made
Di2 Cons: man so many cables...internal batteries and routing, charging/ junction box location can be a pain/ less sightly

If I was to build another, what would I pick? eTap for me. Ease of use and setup wins out, but I can't fault the di2 in any way, other than I wouldn't want to **** about routing it all. You're paying about 450 for each RD, but with di2 you dont get the battery etc with that, whereas you do with etap. I bought all my etap stuff on ebay and it was all either new or as new and it cost me under a grand in total.

Back
Top Bottom