PSU Loud Pop

Permabanned
Just built up another rig and when I turned the PSU switch on there was a loud pop, immediately turned it off then tried it again. The fans still spin up and the motherboard led's all light up. (Doesnt actually produce a display or boot yet, that may be a separate issue).

Could a loud pop be anything but bad?

Associate
Just built up another rig and when I turned the PSU switch on there was a loud pop, immediately turned it off then tried it again. The fans still spin up and the motherboard led's all light up. (Doesnt actually produce a display or boot yet, that may be a separate issue).

Could a loud pop be anything but bad?
I've heard of it happening on corsair psus and i think jonnyguru called it in rush current filling a depleted cap.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/890449-rm650x-makes-a-popping-noise/

Associate
Funnily enough it is a Corsair. Will have a bit more of a google, thanks. :)
There are a few others that reported having it with their units on here. I think some PSUs died or were on their way out, so despite what has been said by Jonnyguru you may want to proceed with caution. Perhaps return for a replacement if it is still new enough.

I'm not saying it will die, but what reports i have read about the popping seem to end with RMA. Of course someone like Jonnyguru would know much better than I.

Soldato
I've heard of it happening on corsair psus and i think jonnyguru called it in rush current filling a depleted cap.
Current doesn't make sound when it has proper conductive path.
There could be sharp sound only if there's some broken solder joint etc with gap causing electric arcing.

Associate
Current doesn't make sound when it has proper conductive path.
There could be sharp sound only if there's some broken solder joint etc with gap causing electric arcing.

I'm an electrician and electronics engineer, not sure where you got that info from but it's wrong. Anything that takes a lot of current to get going can make a noise, even if everything is ok. Loud bangs are not so good, but even switching on a PSU can result in arcing of the switch contact.

DB

Soldato
Yeah I get a loud popping about 50% of the time and have done so for a year or two with a corsair unit (not RMx) when turning off from the wall (pc off but can see there being standby power) and seeing a spark illuminating the wall. It’s disconcerting to say the least, but for better or worse become used to it.

Associate
I'm an electrician and electronics engineer, not sure where you got that info from but it's wrong. Anything that takes a lot of current to get going can make a noise, even if everything is ok. Loud bangs are not so good, but even switching on a PSU can result in arcing of the switch contact.

DB
My HX620 sparks when I hit the psu switch. I've stopped using it thinking it's on its way out. Would it be safe?

Permabanned
OP
It should not be popping/banging and/or sparking at all. That said the PC appeared to work fine when it was on......

Not sure if its safe or not but I dont like it so have started the RMA process. Using an old spare 750w for now which doesnt bang when you turn it on. :p

Associate
My HX620 sparks when I hit the psu switch. I've stopped using it thinking it's on its way out. Would it be safe?

The problem is that every time it "sparks", a layer of carbonisation appears and this become resistive over time eventually leading to the failure of the switch. I have seen instances historically where this led to more serious arcing and the switch itself, due to the heat generated, had melted. I'd not be able to say it's safe or not without inspection but as others have stated it should not really be sparking...

Associate
The problem is that every time it "sparks", a layer of carbonisation appears and this become resistive over time eventually leading to the failure of the switch. I have seen instances historically where this led to more serious arcing and the switch itself, due to the heat generated, had melted. I'd not be able to say it's safe or not without inspection but as others have stated it should not really be sparking...
The sparking is actually inside the unit. Sorry, I should have been more clearer.

Soldato
PC isn't any industrial plant, so while some coil may keep whine or PSU's rear switch buzzing/crackling sound if not switched fast, there shouldn't be any loud sharp noises in 100% OK PC.
PC simply doesn't have contactors in there with their lovely closing/opening sound:
https://youtu.be/eaGqjrMkucc?t=12m5s
Caused by that need to mimizing arcing/sparking...

And certainly PSU's parts have no business of doing any sparks.

Soldato
Just started having the same problem with my RM1000X. The PSU itself works fine just every time it has been switched off at the wall for some time usually overnight. Switching on results in a loud pop and usually a hefty spark within the PSU unit itself.

Always switch it off at the wall and never had any issue with this on any other Corsair or other branded PSU.

Have a HX850 on the way for tomorrow as no longer need the wattage anyway. And will have to RMA and likely sell the RM1000x as it’s still under warranty.

Not sure what the problem is, some kind of initial charge but still sparks shooting out the side shouldn’t be happening lol

Soldato
Fact is corsair arnt a PSU company so there parts while probably good are sold to the lowest bidder. Stick with a PSU manufacturer who do more than just painting and putting stickers on

Soldato
Corsair for me have always been good so just luck of the draw I guess, I’ve had a couple of psu’s from them without any issues and still running well.

I’ve also had top of the line seasonics and other brands and feature wise for me they just aren’t as good. I’ve had to RMA a seasonic before due to coil whine and noisy fan issues.

Soldato
Decent enough PSU's, just appears there is some kind of design fault!

I now have a HX850 and have also had a TX750(10yrs old now still works) AX850i(sisters pc) and HX1000i (7yrs old backup now) have never had this issue before.

Have seen a few instances on the RM ones so could be a design flaw or poor component choice, bad luck etc.

Back
Top Bottom