Wireless gaming headset recommendation

Associate
Hi guys,
I have a sound blaster z and a wired HyperX cloud headset, but I would like to replace it with a wireless one, I was thinking about this ones:
- Arctis 7
- Arctis Pro wireless
- Astro A50 gen 3

Any suggestions/recommendations ?

Use would be mostly playing fps,RPGs, etc. Also watching some movies from the sofa.
Thanks

Associate
I bought an Arctis 7 a few months ago. I've been really impressed with it.

It's even got a dial which allows you to turn up game volume vs chat volume. I have no idea how it differentiates which is which but it's awesome. I use that all the time when i'm on Teamspeak with my friends.

Soldato
There are very few wireless headphones I would trust to give good sound and gaming brand stuff doesn't belong to that.
Stereo music doesn't really care much about how badly inaccurate sound reproduction is.
But binaural sound needed for proper immersion in gaming/movies doesn't tolerate much of inaccuracy in reproduction, before immersion starts suffering lot:
Positioning worsens and sounds just collapse into bucket around head.
If you haven't ever tried actually good headphones, you don't know what kind immersion is possible.
(works also the opposite when first time trying trinkets after using good headphones)

Even actual audio makers also don't make much of wireless headphones I would trust to be good for gaming.
Most of them are closed design which is major challenge/drag for accurate sound.
Open design with velour pads is also lot more comfortable for long term listening, by breathing more than closed designs and pleather pads.
(which also makes them less sensitive to temples of glasses decreasing seal between earpad and head)
Though if environment is noisy closed design is necessary.
And for example Sennheiser has pushed up the price of their open design model in line up updates.

Though Sennheiser RS185 isn't really much more than that trinket production Astro...
Whose overhyped Dolby Headphone is just average compared to Creative's HRTF algorithm.
Unless you count more bass as quality.

Associate
OP
I bought an Arctis 7 a few months ago. I've been really impressed with it.

It's even got a dial which allows you to turn up game volume vs chat volume. I have no idea how it differentiates which is which but it's awesome. I use that all the time when i'm on Teamspeak with my friends.

Hi thanks, yeah I think the Arctis 7 are the ones with better value/price

Associate
From my understanding the Arctis 7 is basically the same headset minus the Dock as the Artics Pro.

I moved from the Wireless H (basically older version without bluetooth as the Pro's) to the DT 770s. Sound quality difference is tangible for music but for gaming? It's relatively minor imo. If you want the freedom of wireless the Artics are a good way to go.

The only thing to realise it that they connect via USB so you won't get the benefit of the soundcard.

Associate
OP
From my understanding the Arctis 7 is basically the same headset minus the Dock as the Artics Pro.

I moved from the Wireless H (basically older version without bluetooth as the Pro's) to the DT 770s. Sound quality difference is tangible for music but for gaming? It's relatively minor imo. If you want the freedom of wireless the Artics are a good way to go.

The only thing to realise it that they connect via USB so you won't get the benefit of the soundcard.

Yeah I guess I would only use my SB for my 5.1 speakers

Associate
Guys I use siberia 800s wireless for gaming and I also own dt770s. I am no audiophile but my 800s sound just fine compared to the 770s. Maybe the music side of it might be better on the 770s but for gaming the siberia 800s are my go to everyone. I must admit that I do run everything through a graphic equaliser so I can tweak it to my taste. As for the Arctics I would imagine tech tech is very similar to the siberias . And to finish I just prefer the wireless its just much less hassel

Associate
Guys I use siberia 800s wireless for gaming and I also own dt770s. I am no audiophile but my 800s sound just fine compared to the 770s. Maybe the music side of it might be better on the 770s but for gaming the siberia 800s are my go to everyone. I must admit that I do run everything through a graphic equaliser so I can tweak it to my taste. As for the Arctics I would imagine tech tech is very similar to the siberias . And to finish I just prefer the wireless its just much less hassel
The Artics are for intensive purposes the same speakers just with lower build quality to the Pro. As you're doing this for gaming you're going to want a microphone. So in reality the Artics are definitely the best route in my opinion.

I'm no expert at audio however after owning the Wireless H and 800s for my musical taste the DT770s are simply better. Whether that is also down to using a DAC? I have no idea. I can only report on my anecdotal experience. :p

Associate
OP
I bought the Arctis 7 (2019 model) on offer for 82 euros, that was a nice deal indeed! I will play with them this Thursday

Last edited:
Soldato
I have Arctis Pro Wireless , wouldn't go back to wired now. The little transmitter is fantastic too especially as it splits audio for your audio/friends chat/game into individual channels by default - great if you record footage on OBS etc.

Spare battery, charger slot in the transmitter and tons of other features. Very expensive but worth it IMHO. I've wasted a lot of money on gaming headsets before, wish I'd just gone for these earlier.

Soldato
Don't get wireless for pure audio quality, but they're fine for everything else. I would also go for a simpler stereo headset rather than Dolby / Surround. I found them to be too inconsistent (sound levels, weird echo effects, ect...) and bothersome. I use mine (Logitech Artemis) in stereo mode only.

Still looking for for tanky (meaning, metal) wireless headsets with a good mic with good noise isolation, good stereo (like a HyperX Cloud, middle of the road but not annoying), 24h battery life, and not costing £250.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
my logitech g933's have develeoped stress crack in the right ear part after about 3 years

budget of about 130 quid

arctis pro too expensive for me..any other recomandations

Soldato
I've had quite a few Wired and Wireless headphones. Corsair Void, ASUS Rog, Razer, G933's and finally settled on the Arctis 7 2019 version due to the reviews which is meant to have better design and Dolby 2.0 improvements over the older model. If you do go for the Arctis 7 make sure you get the later model.
However if you do a google search you will find plenty of threads complaining about the poor software and lack of bass. Coming from a wired Hyper II I actually noticed an improvement but then tried some of the videos to test it and I`m still undecided. https://www.reddit.com/r/steelseries/comments/5uansq/arctis_7_sound_quality/

One big bonus I find for this is all the other wireless ones had faint buzzing but this has no interference at all. They do sound the best wireless but then I started looking at the Astro A50 gen 3 but these are £200-£250 against a £100 set of Arctis 7's so then I begin to wonder are the A50's worth the money ?

Associate
Been stuck on a set of headphones for a while lads can anyone give me some advice?

Been looking at these headphones so far and cant seem to make my mind up between them all lol.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/senn...-and-gsx-1000-amplifier-bundle-bu-000-sn.html

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-pro-gamedac

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-pro-wireless

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/game-zero

https://www.astrogaming.co.uk/headsets/A40-MIXAMP-TR.html

I know its a big list but ive been saving every penny I can to get a good set of headphones and don't want to get a dud set.
has anyone here owned or own a set of headphones I have listed here and what you found was good and bad about them.

also im using the supreme Fx sound that comes with my motherboard btw (Asus Maximus X Formula Z370) no sound card or DAC.

Thanks in advance for your help its greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Arctis 7 Pro 2019 are very comfortable and look nice and the built in mic is half decent. The sound quality however is very meh and of your half fussed on decent quality you'd need to test them out for sure. I now use my Pro 7 on my TV for wireless audio after disappointing performance for music on my pc (used the steelseries EQ software and it's pants)

Best sounding wireless pc gaming headphones I've heard (I own a pair) is the corsair void pro (best sounding for music) . Obviously not very expensive in real terms for HQ audio but they punch above their weight.

The Sennhiser you list for me is the best in your list and again decent price imo.

Back
Top Bottom