Is 144hz worth the upgrade?

Soldato
OP
@Megahurtz400 did you end up getting a 144hz monitor then? Here is a great site to list the 'must have' settings to get the most out of it:

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/

Because of this thread I ended up pulling the trigger on an entirely new pc that I shouldn’t have bought, thanks a lot guys :p

Went with red team and freesync (2700x & Vega 64) as I’m led to believe it would give me more bang for buck!

Do you know if there’s something like that available for freesync systems?

Soldato
Because of this thread I ended up pulling the trigger on an entirely new pc that I shouldn’t have bought, thanks a lot guys :p

Went with red team and freesync (2700x & Vega 64) as I’m led to believe it would give me more bang for buck!

Do you know if there’s something like that available for freesync systems?

I've not touched ATI cards since my very first PC over 2 decades ago so I wouldn't know :(

As for monitor, the Asus ROG PG279Q does come in a freesync model though, I think?

Soldato
I have an Acer x34a which is 34inches 1440p gsync. I've started replaying skyrim with numerous mods including 4k textures and get around 30fps on a 1070. Low frames but it looks incredible!

I guess it must be the gsync, but I think the game looks perfectly smooth despite the low frame rate. I might be blind, but I can't notice any difference in smoothness from playing planetside 2 where I was getting 100fps+.

Soldato
I have an Acer x34a which is 34inches 1440p gsync. I've started replaying skyrim with numerous mods including 4k textures and get around 30fps on a 1070. Low frames but it looks incredible!

I guess it must be the gsync, but I think the game looks perfectly smooth despite the low frame rate. I might be blind, but I can't notice any difference in smoothness from playing planetside 2 where I was getting 100fps+.

Have you enabled 144hz in display adapter properties? 30fps - 100fps is a very big difference :)

On a side note, how is planetside 2 these days? When ever I tried it I had no idea what to do nor any decent weapons to do it with lol

Soldato
It is a massive difference, but I am not surprised at the drop given the amount of extra mods I've installed. Basically I think G-Sync compensates for the low FPS well enough that I'm not sure how much having 100hz+ would make.

PS2 is still great. The tutorial is much better now which should make it easier to get into, but there is still a lot to learn because its so big. Its definitely worth giving it another go though, awesome game!

Soldato
OP
Got my bits today!

Don't have time to build PC till the weekend, but set up new monitor.

It's Freesync, but currently have a GTX970 HOF. If I don't enable Freesync on monitor settings it says its running at 60hz, but enabled 144hz.

Will I bet seeing any benefit or anything above 60Hz as I have a Nvidia GPU?

Caporegime
Got my bits today!

Don't have time to build PC till the weekend, but set up new monitor.

It's Freesync, but currently have a GTX970 HOF. If I don't enable Freesync on monitor settings it says its running at 60hz, but enabled 144hz.

Yes, you'll get the monitor outputting your framerate which looks much more fluid than 60hz.

I've been running a samsung chg70 (https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...ming-monitor-with-quantum-dot-lc32hg70qqnxza/) for the last couple of days and its a very different experience from 60hz. HDR kicking in is also a nice bonus as it makes battlefield v a bit more impressive looking.

Last edited:
Soldato
Update on this.

After using a 144hz monitor since January, I’m working away this week and have borrowed a gaming laptop with a 60hz screen.

I feel sick and violated that anyone can even contemplate playing on a 60hz screen!

My wife borrowed my screen for a week whilst I was back in the UK, it took her a few days to adjust back to 60hz in Overwatch. So laggy and choppy.

Soldato
I think it's all psychological, you want to believe 144Hz is better, your body will trick you to cause that desired effect. Companies also want you to believe so you shell out extra for the Hz.

Soldato
It's similar to what I experienced recently. We tried to play Perfect Dark on the N64, a game we played to death, hundreds of hours for sure.

It was impossible to play, the frame rate... good lord. How did we ever manage?!

Caporegime
I think it's all psychological, you want to believe 144Hz is better, your body will trick you to cause that desired effect. Companies also want you to believe so you shell out extra for the Hz.

i dont agree with this and if you play with 144 hz and then drop to 60 it feels almost like there is a issue. its not psychological you can feel and see the massive differences when playing. especially in fps and car games. its like night and day differences.

Soldato
i dont agree with this and if you play with 144 hz and then drop to 60 it feels almost like there is a issue. its not psychological you can feel and see the massive differences when playing. especially in fps and car games. its like night and day differences.

After using 120Hz and going to 60Hz, I don't agree at all.

Man of Honour

Since you wrote this Nvidia have released new drivers that allows you to enable Gsync with most Freesync monitors.

As for the original topic, IMO it depends on what you are going from, 120hz to 144hz isn't a massive step up but it certainly is if coming from 75hz or 60hz. Ideally I would have gone for higher refresh but at the time I bought my monitor the best value in terms of balancing screensize, resolution and refresh rate seemed to be 27" 1440p 144hz.

The idea that it is psychological is nonsense, you can easily test it by binding a key to toggle a different framerate cap, hammer it loads of times so you don't know whether the framerate is high or low and then see if you can correctly state which framerate it is.

Associate

I think the rest of the world disagrees with you, unless your blind? Wait.. you're not blind are you? Please say you're not blind.

Man of Honour
After using 120Hz and going to 60Hz, I don't agree at all.

What was the exact setup and circumstances of your work experience with 120hz? It sounds like you were running a game at low FPS or otherwise didn't set it up correctly. The difference is substantial, and obvious both side by side and when switching, after short or long periods of use.

Soldato
What was the exact setup and circumstances of your work experience with 120hz? It sounds like you were running a game at low FPS or otherwise didn't set it up correctly. The difference is substantial, and obvious both side by side and when switching, after short or long periods of use.

This, you need to change display properties. It's not just a 'feeling'. There is a literal difference lol.

Soldato
The psychological part would be how people learn to manage the 60hz update, the brain fills in the gaps. Its how some optical illusions work, how animation works in general maybe its amalgamating the data into what we perceive. Increasing the data available with more frequent updates raises quality, its partly subconscious I guess, it is fine tuning but I think its a plus for anyone.
Right now people could consider 250hz and even thats a nice improvement over half that, like 4k I'd like to have it one day its not essential but I'm certain the quality is appreciable by everyone.

3jYTlOS.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom