£1000 Gaming PC

Soldato
Hi. Would any of you good people be able to spec me a gaming PC for about £1000?

Mine has just died, I suspect it's the graphics card and was thinking of getting a Vega 56, but wondering if now would be a good time to finally replace the lot as I've had it ages (currently a 2500k and 290x)

Am I right in thinking AMD is currently giving the best bang for buck as far as CPU goes? I've not been keeping up.

Don't need an SSD or OS, but would like to replace everything else.

Also, hoping for stuff in stock as would be good to get it before Christmas.

Soldato
Do you have a monitor, mouse or keyboard or do you want them included? If so what's your monitor? Also do you need any additional storage, for a games drive or anything?

Soldato
OP
Ah sorry, really should have included these details.

Don't need any peripherals. Screen is a 1080P freesync, but I might want to upgrade that in the future so would be good to be able to run at 1440.

I've got a mechanical drive for storage as well as SSD.

I can probably go over budget a bit if needed, just figured around about that figure.

Soldato
Good. With a Freesync monitor you will be wanting an AMD GPU and the Vega GPUs are an excellent choice.

Are you looking to change your case? If not, which form factor is it? (ATX, ITX, mATX.)

Soldato
OP
Good. With a Freesync monitor you will be wanting an AMD GPU and the Vega GPUs are an excellent choice.

Are you looking to change your case? If not, which form factor is it? (ATX, ITX, mATX.)

Yeah I think I may as well get a new case, mine is about 6/7 years old and the power button only works now if you press it at a slight angle, just seems a convenient time to replace it.

In the interests of being slightly less lazy I've come up with something myself, how does this look? Its over my initial budget but I'm comfortable with that:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,146.14 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Soldato
Here's a sample ITX system. You have enough left in your budget to upgrade to a Vega 64 or a Ryzen 2700 - if you go to £1100 you can have both. You can re-use your existing PSU.

Total: £871.25 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Soldato
OP
Here's a sample ITX system. You have enough left in your budget to upgrade to a Vega 64 or a Ryzen 2700 - if you go to £1100 you can have both. You can re-use your existing PSU.

Total: £871.25 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Thanks for this, I'd rather go with a larger case, so thinking ATX and midi-tower case.

With regards to re-using the PSU, my current PC has died and I've not yet managed to work out why, but the PSU could potentially be the issue and as its 6/7 years old I figured I may as well just replace that as well.

Any thoughts on my basket above? I'm looking for stuff currently in stock as I'd like to get this quickly. Not sure if I should go for a cheaper 2600X but I probably won't upgrade again for a long time and have had my current setup for a long time.

Soldato
Yeah I think I may as well get a new case, mine is about 6/7 years old and the power button only works now if you press it at a slight angle, just seems a convenient time to replace it.

In the interests of being slightly less lazy I've come up with something myself, how does this look? Its over my initial budget but I'm comfortable with that:

Total: £1,146.14 (includes shipping: £13.20)

avoid the strix VEGA cards, poor design .
Windforce is 12+1 phase design - so better then even the Sapphire Nitro PCB but little less in cooling due to 2x 100mm fans vs 2x 92mm and 1x 80mm , also 2.5 slot vs 3 slot cooler.

larger SSD and Vega 64 vs 56 but lose the 8 core chip - to be honest 2600 & 2700 perform pretty much the same with gaming currently

Total: £1,080.09 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Soldato
OP
avoid the strix VEGA cards, poor design .
Windforce is 12+1 phase design - so better then even the Sapphire Nitro PCB but little less in cooling due to 2x 100mm fans vs 2x 92mm and 1x 80mm , also 2.5 slot vs 3 slot cooler.

larger SSD and Vega 64 vs 56 but lose the 8 core chip - to be honest 2600 & 2700 perform pretty much the same with gaming currently

Total: £1,080.09 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Thanks, I'm not sure how I picked that Strix card to be honest as I meant to pick the PowerColor. I did wonder about that Gigabyte 64 with it being not much extra, but it seemed a lot less than the other 64 cards so I wasn't sure if there was a reason? I was also wondering if the 2700X was really worth the extra so thanks for the advice on this as well, stupid question but does that 2600X come with a stock cooler, I was trying to see but wasn't sure.

Soldato
Thanks, I'm not sure how I picked that Strix card to be honest as I meant to pick the PowerColor. I did wonder about that Gigabyte 64 with it being not much extra, but it seemed a lot less than the other 64 cards so I wasn't sure if there was a reason? I was also wondering if the 2700X was really worth the extra so thanks for the advice on this as well, stupid question but does that 2600X come with a stock cooler, I was trying to see but wasn't sure.

gigabyte makes both nvidia and AMD cards , powercolor/sapphire dont and only do AMD. even though they get GPU die's cheaper- they are unable to ship the amount of cards asus and gigabyte do to make profits else where and via boards etc etc .

part of the reason why gigabyte has 12 phase design (6 phases with 6 doublers) when others only have 6/7 phase units - Bill or materials - specially when other GPU cads use the same bits can bulk b cheaper .

2600x does come with a decent stock cooler :)

Soldato
OP
gigabyte makes both nvidia and AMD cards , powercolor/sapphire dont and only do AMD. even though they get GPU die's cheaper- they are unable to ship the amount of cards asus and gigabyte do to make profits else where and via boards etc etc .

part of the reason why gigabyte has 12 phase design (6 phases with 6 doublers) when others only have 6/7 phase units - Bill or materials - specially when other GPU cads use the same bits can bulk b cheaper .

2600x does come with a decent stock cooler :)

Thanks, I'll go with that card. :)

Final question hopefully. And specific reason for that PSU? I'd gone Corsair as my last one has served me well, not familiar with how good Bitfenix are for these? I'd figured 650 would be enough?

Edit - one other quick question. If I am tempted to splash extra on the 2700X is that bundle okay or is there a better board to pick?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, I'll go with that card. :)

Final question hopefully. And specific reason for that PSU? I'd gone Corsair as my last one has served me well, not familiar with how good Bitfenix are for these? I'd figured 650 would be enough?

Edit - one other quick question. If I am tempted to splash extra on the 2700X is that bundle okay or is there a better board to pick?

both Tier 1 units

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/986897-psu-tier-list-30/

650w might push it above efficiency level with 2700x and vega 64 - best use companies PSU calculators - find companys work out their units can handle with components and often can be quiet different to rival brands .
had that been a flagship Corsair AX model then 650w would have handled an overclocked vega 64 just fine etc

that Strix bundle is quite good to be fair!!!! x370 board over b450 board personally if you can afford to splash the cash

Soldato
OP
both Tier 1 units

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/986897-psu-tier-list-30/

650w might push it above efficiency level with 2700x and vega 64 - best use companies PSU calculators - find companys work out their units can handle with components and often can be quiet different to rival brands .
had that been a flagship Corsair AX model then 650w would have handled an overclocked vega 64 just fine etc

that Strix bundle is quite good to be fair!!!! x370 board over b450 board personally if you can afford to splash the cash

Thanks, gonna splash the cash, so think I've ended up with the below. Only thing I'm not quite sure on is the case. Looks pretty nice but not sure if there are any better options. Wanted to try to get this ordered today but think I may have to spend a little longer deciding on that.

Total: £1,165.94 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Soldato
Thanks, gonna splash the cash, so think I've ended up with the below. Only thing I'm not quite sure on is the case. Looks pretty nice but not sure if there are any better options. Wanted to try to get this ordered today but think I may have to spend a little longer deciding on that.

Total: £1,165.94 (includes shipping: £0.00)

its one of the cheapest usb C cases with Digital RGB you can get to be honest . phanteks version is about £200

Fractal Design Meshy C - with usb C is about £85 but no rgb etc

Soldato
OP
Well having managed to find an old graphics card and have a test, it looks like that was the fault component.

So I could have got away with just a new card, but I think I'm still happy I've ordered this, think I deserve a full upgrade as everything aside from the card is 7 years old. It's done well. :)

Soldato
OP
All up and running, not had a change to game on it yet but so far so good. Hate pressing that power button the first time!!!! :)

Thanks for all the advice guys. :)

Back
Top Bottom