Disappointed in Seat Leon FR

Soldato
I currently drive a 2008 Renault Megane R26 and have wanted to change cars for a while. I want something better put together and higher quality, whilst not losing too much fun factor. I've had my heart set on a 2013- Seat Leon FR 1.8 TSI. It seemed to tick all the boxes.

I test drove one yesterday and loved the DSG box, the interior quality etc. I didn't like the throttle response or steering, but I already knew they wouldn't be as good as the Megane. However, I was really surprised when I got it up to 70mph and heard the tyre noise. The cabin noise was so much louder than my Megane on the motorway. Wind and engine noise were fine.

I was expecting a VAG product to be so much better than that. Did I maybe set my sights too high? Is this a common thing with Leon's? I assumed it would be similar to a Golf.

Now the search starts all over again...

Soldato
OP
I'm not expecting it to be as good as Bentley Continental, but surely a 2013 VAG product would be better than a 2008 Megane?

Edit: Yes, it had Sport contact 6 tyres on it. Plenty of tread.

Associate
I was expecting a VAG product to be so much better than that.

That's the problem right there, this solid reliable/quality praise VAG has received for many a year is utter crap! and made worst that you've gone for cheap Spain branded VAG aka, Seat..

BTW, I've had 4 VAG cars over the years and my statement is factual and not spawned from some anti VAG obsession. :p

Soldato
Mine picks up a fair bit of road noise, always assumed it was due to the 18" wheels though. Doesn't particularly bother me though to be honest, it's still better than my previous Mazda3 Sport was.

The facelift has an improved suspension setup which apparently helps with this, as well as the rather firm ride quality.

Soldato
I have driven the 1.4TSI, Cupra and 178 diesel and I know what you mean about road noise. I do not believe it to be as bad as you make it sound though, but then my ears are not your ears. My wife has also had 4 different Ibiza's over 5 years and they have the same issue. It is not distracting but it is there.

Just my two cents. Also, I am looking at a Leon is 2019 myself so it is not large enough of a problem to put me off.

Soldato
Likely the tyres, my wife just got a new to her Mini and the tyre noise is ridiculous on the factory run flats. On certain road surfaces it has very little but on most roads it makes a racket. We test drove another identical car bar tyres with Michelin Pilot Sports and it was significantly quieter.

PS4s will be going on when the current ones need replaced if it was my car I would probably replace them now the run flats are so bad.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does depend what you're used to, when I first got my Cupra 300 it felt like a limousine after the Mk3 MX5 that I had before!

The Cupra with the 19 inch wheels is quite bad for road noise but it still felt incredibly refined by comparison to the '5.

Soldato
For reference, our Leon FR has 18" wheels with Bridgestone Potenza S001

Same car and wheel size here. I found those to be slightly noisier at high speeds than the F1A3 I replaced them with, but quieter at low speeds. A rough road surface throws up a fair bit of tyre noise, but a smoother one can be very quiet.

Permabanned
I would like to know from someone with the ACTUAL knowledge, would they purposely leave off a certain amount of sound deadening between the like for like model for instance say between the Golf and the Seat equivalent (leon), or would it arguably be cheaper to have all the same quality of sound deadening applied to all the range across different brands?

Now it is sprayed on, I suppose there is much more scope for simply changing what is in the gun for a cheaper, lower performing material....

Would be very interested, although now I have read this back, being interested in sound-deadening materials across single company multi-brand products is pretty lame.

Which drive mode was the car set to? Eco will ruin the throttle response and make the steering very light compared with normal or sport.

Good point, I assume the TT has the same basically.
The ECO mode is to quote one of my collegeues "why would you" I must admit I did it once when I was a little low on fuel. Seemed to kill reaction time of the engine (yes sluggish) and make nigh on no difference to the economy. I didnt notice the steering felt at all different. However if Seat setup anything like Audi then driving one after practically anything it wont feel great. I dont know why but they do set them up to feel well understeery. However once used to it I find I dont notice it at all.

I would argue the TT is probably as bad as well on tyre noise, I can really hear the different surfaces on my drive home if the radio is down or off. However that to me is highlighting how good the isolation from other noises is. Mine came with the horrible Hankook Kontrol tyres rather than the butter soft pirellis some come with. I do believe they are getting noisier as the tread is wearing down as well. I have certainly noticed some brands seem to do this more than others.

245 18 40s if thats the same size as the FR

I would like to know from someone with the ACTUAL knowledge, would they purposely leave off a certain amount of sound deadening between the like for like model for instance say between the Golf and the Seat equivalent (leon), or would it arguably be cheaper to have all the same quality of sound deadening applied to all the range across different brands?

Now it is sprayed on, I suppose there is much more scope for simply changing what is in the gun for a cheaper, lower performing material....

Would be very interested, although now I have read this back, being interested in sound-deadening materials across single company multi-brand products is pretty lame.

Different factories i think, so whilst there is high comonality, platform, engines etc the other areas are notably different, seats, wheels, tyres, etc etc etc

Back
Top Bottom