BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Agree, more like a 335D worth around 50% more.
You can find decent 330D around 6k with minimal patience privately and a decent 335D for around 9k privately. I've just bought one after looking at the market for a while.

I've illustrated with my A4 above how valuated trade values can vary wildly compared to reality.
I get the point, even at 50% difference, there's no way there was that much difference when new. Taking it even more extreme, look at how much an e92 m3 is worth compared to a 335d.

Associate
Just bought a new X6 (I know this won't be popular) I love the idrive system but was wondering if some of the missing options can be coded into it. Stuff like speed limit recognition etc. Does anyone have experience of this?

Associate
Its a brand new one. It has idrive 6. I don't have the option for Apple carplay to be added within my connected drive thought which I thought strange. (not that it matter as I have an Android)

Man of Honour
Ah, this is because despite being a new car the X6 is still based on the old F10 5 Series so you have an older electronics system. There are aftermarket enabling boxes for speed limit display which force the system to use nav data only rather than the camera as well.

Associate
I was originally looking at an M4 and reading cutters I'm sure I read that if your camera on the windscreen says 'connected drive' on it then you can enable all sorts. Mine says this, Is it different?

Soldato
You can enable the speed limit display if you have the KAFAS camera which is also used for adaptive headlights & lane assist. You need an FSC code from BMW to enable the camera based system and it is hard to get people that have managed it have paid £500-600.

My wife’s car has the speed limit display and it’s ok wouldn’t call it a need to have it picks up a lot of false speeds from signs on slip roads etc and picks up the 20 limit from the school signs where the limit is only lower when the lights are flashing. It does mean on her car it is easy to retrofit adaptive cruise, swap of buttons on the steering wheel and a coding change.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Personally I would not want to be without speed limit display – gone are the days when a competent driver can easily tell the speed limit of a road just by looking at it. We have so many random and inexplicable speed limits these days that its easy to get caught out and the handy reminder on the dash is a great way of helping you concentrate more on the road and less what arbitrary number the local council have decided to allocate to a dual carriageway this week.

Associate
Personally I would not want to be without speed limit display – gone are the days when a competent driver can easily tell the speed limit of a road just by looking at it. We have so many random and inexplicable speed limits these days that its easy to get caught out and the handy reminder on the dash is a great way of helping you concentrate more on the road and less what arbitrary number the local council have decided to allocate to a dual carriageway this week.

Yes I missed that from my Jaguar when I went to my 7 Series still miss it in the X6. I am friendly with a BMW dealer so I will see how much I can get a code for. Is this all I have to do?

Soldato
Yes I missed that from my Jaguar when I went to my 7 Series still miss it in the X6. I am friendly with a BMW dealer so I will see how much I can get a code for. Is this all I have to do?

Yes needs an FSC code and coded to the car, dealer should be able to do it but I would surprised if they knew how to or are willing to do it. A quick look about now it appears that cheaper codes are available might try and enable it on mine as I have the KAFAS camera already.

Soldato
CarPlay is now a subscription service isn’t it? Like connected drive you pay for it annually so I don’t think it can be coded in but I’m not too sure.

It has went 3 years subscription on new cars, I suspect it can be coded on these cars aswell but I doubt anyone has tried until the subscription expires. If the X6 has the subscription option he would have been able to activate in the portal. It looks like for it to be added under the subscription system after the car is built the car needs to have enhanced bluetooth

I don't think it is worth it as BMW haven't implemented it aswell as Mercedes, VAG or JLR where the Carplay screen can scale to the full screen or even split screen over the two displays in the new Land Rovers. It is stuck to 2/3rds of the display which limits the size of Google Maps or Waze, I think the standard iDrive with wireless Spotify app integration and standard NAV is better but if you could get full screen Waze with the directions arrows in the HUD/cluster that would be great.

Looks like modified software is available for iDrive that enables full screen Carplay makes you wonder why BMW don't offer it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom