What are the best RPGs on the PC (single player)?

Soldato
Probably the millionth time I've said this on here:p, but Fallout New Vegas is the pinnacle of RPGs. Before last year I would have said it was by far the best, but Divinity Original Sin 2 very nearly rivals it.

It is those two, then a fair margin to the next game imo...Which is probably Skyrim.

Soldato
Going to be an odd one to throw out there given its MMORPG. But Elder Scrolls online is a massive world and 90% of the content can be played solo. There is a massive number of quests, stories etc and quiet enjoyable from a PvE perspective.

Soldato
Actually, Original Sin 2 is getting a major upgrade to its latter stages through a free DLC in a few weeks time.

Is it? I got stuck into this and loved it but then just lost the will to continue in the final act. I got to a building in town with lots of fire and monsters that kept coming back after I killed them. Got fed up and uninstalled it.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I've just started to play Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition and then when I finish that I'll play Divinity Original Sin 2. They look like interesting games.

I didn't realise I already owned them. I must have bought the games ages ago and forgotten about them. Hopefully, they'll keep me occupied for some time.

Don
Going to be an odd one to throw out there given its MMORPG. But Elder Scrolls online is a massive world and 90% of the content can be played solo. There is a massive number of quests, stories etc and quiet enjoyable from a PvE perspective.

I'd argue that WoW is similar these days. Majority of content can be done solo or with automatically found groups of randoms, but the stories/lore is all still very interesting.

Soldato
OP

I've been playing Elder Scrolls Online for the last month, and I'm enjoying it. I've pretty much completed Summerset Isles and am working on Morrowind at the moment. The voice acting is excellent but it does annoy me a little bit as it slows down the questing experience quite a bit. I can read the quest text much faster compared to listening to it being spoken. I might turn off the in-game audio and listen to music instead and read everything.

Soldato
I'd argue that WoW is similar these days. Majority of content can be done solo or with automatically found groups of randoms, but the stories/lore is all still very interesting.

Yup. I have not played Wow, but can imagine. ESO is real nice, more so if you like elder scrolls lore. While not perfect, they have did a very solid job area for ESO.

I've been playing Elder Scrolls Online for the last month, and I'm enjoying it. I've pretty much completed Summerset Isles and am working on Morrowind at the moment. The voice acting is excellent but it does annoy me a little bit as it slows down the questing experience quite a bit. I can read the quest text much faster compared to listening to it being spoken. I might turn off the in-game audio and listen to music instead and read everything.

I know what you mean! Having said that, I have amusingly did the opposite, 95% of the time, I skipped story points, but recently, have been reading / listening to it all. Its actually really well done, love Cadwell and Raz um dar, done so well.

Associate
Fallout 4 with Horizon mod.
Horizon drastically changes the game and adds a lot of RPG elements (skills like previous Fallouts). It's extremely well-polished and has various difficulty levels nowadays.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I find voice acting annoying for the same reason I find learning from videos annoying. It is much quicker to read a book or read the quest text than listen to someone talking.

Absolutely this, voice acting helps set the major scenes but every mediocre side quest is just mehhhh and is uninstalled

Back
Top Bottom