• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Another one Bites the Dust - RTG senior leadership heads rolling.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

If you are studying computer science at university choosing to specailse in computer graphics seems like a good route given the demand for people in this area

If you want to design graphics cards, you need to be doing engineering (on an electrical and computer engineering stream), not computer science.

I've never seen a CompSci degree teach VHDL for example.

Man of Honour
If you want to design graphics cards, you need to be doing engineering (on an electrical and computer engineering stream), not computer science.

I've never seen a CompSci degree teach VHDL for example.

Depends what part of the process you want to work in - developing a graphics card needs people working at hardware level, hardware programming, software and understanding how to support 3rd party software, etc. (plus a massive amount of theoretical stuff).

Mobster
Soldato
How is it "convenient"? What is "it" you are referring to?

Ok, I'll read it for you and explain it then.

One 'source' said he was disengaged, blaming it on having to do overtime. This guy has worked decades in the industry, if you believe he retired due to having to do overtime, that's comical.

AMD's official line was he was due to retire and wanted to spend time with his family.

The 'source' is practically slandering imho.

Soldato

Sounds like you might need to re-read again yourself then. The "source" cited much more than not working overtime and described an overall attitude and character Rayfield portrayed. Not necessarily believing it of course, but if you think an official statement from AMD was going to say "yeah, he was a dick so we binned him off" than perhaps you're a little naive.

Also consider that top flight execs of this type work stupid hours as par for the course, either because they are career focussed and love what they do, or fight to rectify failings in the company they love so much. For Rayfield to allegedly not be doing this shows a lackadaisical attitude to RTG, for whatever reason that may be. And if the top man of a division that seriously needs some big industry wins seems to not care any more, then he has to leave.

Rayfield retiring because of his family sounds about as plausible as Krzanich resigning over an office relationship.

Man of Honour
You are a very poor manager if you can not get the job done in your normal hours.

Yes sometimes there are occasionally major problems to deal with and a good manager should be there to deal with them but this should never never never become the norm.

Ronald Reagan was a fantastic manager and famous for not working long hours.

Soldato
Whatever the reasons, no one should feel sorry for him because I bet he's left with a nice fat six figure severance settlement.

All these manager types know they're on borrowed time from the moment they take the jobs, which is why they usually pay so much.

Soldato
You are a very poor manager if you can not get the job done in your normal hours.

Yes sometimes there are occasionally major problems to deal with and a good manager should be there to deal with them but this should never never never become the norm.

Ronald Reagan was a fantastic manager and famous for not working long hours.

But similarly, most places don't care about how efficiently you work - they care how many hours you put in. ie 60 hours of poor work is valued higher than 40 hours of good work, even if the end result is the same. It's a broken way of evaluating performance, and one of the reasons why other countries can put out the same workload but maintain higher morale

bru

bru

Soldato

One 'source' said he was disengaged, blaming it on having to do overtime. This guy has worked decades in the industry, if you believe he retired due to having to do overtime, that's comical.

AMD's official line was he was due to retire and wanted to spend time with his family.

The 'source' is practically slandering imho.

Not often I agree with you LambChop but that source is almost slandering the poor guy.

We can only go on the official line from AMD, anything else is just not right.

Back
Top Bottom