ECHR rules that defamation of Mohammed doesn't count as free expression

B&W

B&W

Soldato
Age of consent in Nigeria is 11, this is now in 2018.

Girls are still married in poorer countries at a young age like 9 or 10, this is often done so that no one else can come in and marry the girl. Often keeping money/land in the same tribe. Or helping the girls side if they are poor.

I have heard of this happen very recently and I knew the people involved.

They won't have sex or move in till puberty hits.

This whole mohammad is a pedo argument is rather silly tbh.

Soldato
I can listen to Michael Jackson record or watch a film made by Roman Polanaki and appreciate the artistry without it needing to agree with the artists personal activities.

The same can't be said for adherents of a religion when regarding their religious texts and the purported sayings and actions of a prophet who is held to be a moral exemplar within the religion.[/QUOTE]

Exactly the point. There can be separation between an artist and their work. Where the person themself is the subject and the example to follow, that is not the case.

As asim seems keen to bring Michael Jackson into this, it should be mentioned that there was never evidence of Michael Jackson abusing children and the chief accusers were later shown to be planning their lawsuit to make money out of him. The accusations deeply harmed Michael Jackson and were likely a contributing factor to his early death. Unlike Mohammed where historical evidence DOES point towards him raping a nine year old girl, it's generally accepted to be true by Muslims and, I think we can assume, any defamation does not at this point cause Mohammed any upset.

Soldato
Age of consent in Nigeria is 11, this is now in 2018.

Girls are still married in poorer countries at a young age like 9 or 10, this is often done so that no one else can come in and marry the girl. Often keeping money/land in the same tribe. Or helping the girls side if they are poor.

I have heard of this happen very recently and I knew the people involved.

They won't have sex or move in till puberty hits.

He MARRIED her at six years old, for the reasons you list. The CONSUMATION is given as being at nine years old.

Also, if you read the court ruling, it's written on the assumption that he DID rape the girl, but it lists the fact that he carried on having intercourse with her until she was over eighteen as a contributing factor to why the defendant was sentenced for saying he would be called him a paedophile.

Nobody is making up accusations about Mohammed to slander him - his consummation of the marriage is widely accepted as truth by muslims and non-muslims alike.

EDIT: Puberty in girls starts around 11 or 12. A 40 year old man who has sex with a girl of that age is a child molester. I fail to see how someone in Nigeria doing that today changes anything about the case.

Caporegime
OP

Whether it is silly or not isn’t really the point though, the point is the protection or lack of for freedom of expression vs protecting religions after this dubious ruining by the ECHR.

B&W

B&W

Soldato
He MARRIED her at six years old, for the reasons you list. The CONSUMATION is given as being at nine years old.

Also, if you read the court ruling, it's written on the assumption that he DID rape the girl, but it lists the fact that he carried on having intercourse with her until she was over eighteen as a contributing factor to why the defendant was sentenced for saying he would be called him a paedophile.

Nobody is making up accusations about Mohammed to slander him - his consummation of the marriage is widely accepted as truth by muslims and non-muslims alike.

EDIT: Puberty in girls starts around 11 or 12. A 40 year old man who has sex with a girl of that age is a child molester. I fail to see how someone in Nigeria doing that today changes anything about the case.

9/10 or 11/12 doesn't really matter. If you have ever talked to people from third world countries you will see a lot don't know exactly how old they are or there date of birth.

It's written down in Islamic history and is not particularly taken to be exceptional or outstanding.

Soldato
The bad quoting and obtuseness is getting real stale in here.

Let me go right to step 3 again since a literal picture of the forum was the only thing that you acknowledged existed.

tmp.png

So while I'm talking to asim18 you decide to pick that up as if it's regarding you and crop out asim18 completely.

Now with the whole thing in context over my words I'm going to reply.

Yeah, I know what you quoted. The issue is that it's not me telling any kind of lie. Your screenshotting it just highlights that because your reply is a complete non-sequitur. Here:

Firstly, she didn't make a "general slur against Muslims". She said that today Mohammed would be called a paedophile. Which he would be. The line you quote above is self-explanatory: your suggestion that only certain approved people should be allowed to criticise Islam is a terrible one. Having a body (inevitably the State) that approves whether or not you are qualified to criticise a religion is wrong.

Yep - hence why the court's ruling is terrible. In no way indicates anywhere I've lied. You can't back up your accusation so withdraw it.

Your two sides are not reconcilable. You are advocating for Free Speech only for approved people.

The lie you are building on is claiming that I say only approved people should be allowed to criticise. Completely false. I agree with the judgement and I explain the context of it fairly well right there.

And your final paragraph is a gross misinterpretation by talking HALF of my last paragraph and ignoring the other half.

People are free to express but to abuse perhaps not.

Quite succinct. This case landed in the "abuse" category.

Soldato
9/10 or 11/12 doesn't really matter. If you have ever talked to people from third world countries you will see a lot don't know exactly how old they are or there date of birth. It's written down in Islamic history and is not particularly taken to be exceptional or outstanding.

Well I've spent time in North Africa and had friends who worked in Nigeria and have had friends from Sudan so yes - I have "talked to people from Third World countries." What exactly are you taking issue with that I have said? Because so far the only thing you've said I regard as wrong was that you suggested he married her at nine and consummated later, which is not what we know - the marriage was at six - and I pointed out the correction. Whether it is common parts of the world today (and it wasn't uncommon in Mohammed's time and place), I fail to see the relevance of. Our society would rightfully call that Child Molestation. A 6/9 year old girl cannot meaningfully consent to a 40 year old man and even could she, a 40 year old man should not be pursuing a child. It is fine to say this and I should not be censured for it.
People are free to express but to abuse perhaps not.

Have you actually read their ruling and the circumstances of this? An undercover journalist reported her saying "Today Mohammed would be called a paedophile" and she was convicted of a crime for this. That's not abuse of anyone living yet she's arrested. As Dowie points out - this is in practice a blasphemy law, saying criticism of Mohammed is an arrestable offence. And you have Hotwired arguing that you should only be allowed to criticise if you are approved to do so. These are bad things.

Soldato
The lie you are building on is claiming that I say only approved people should be allowed to criticise. Completely false. I agree with the judgement and I explain the context of it fairly well right there.

Okay. So instead of this long and painful process, instead when I asked you to show where I told a lie, you could have simply said: "You claimed I only wanted approved people to be allowed to criticise but I never said that". And I could have responded to the point. Instead of unfathomable screenshots.

So here is why I said that. You earlier argued that she should be sentenced because she wasn't "objective", that she's an "Islamaphobe" or whatever. I can dig out the quotes if necessary but if we're arguing honestly here, I think you'll agree you took that position. You use "objective" to mean neutral or unbiased. You think people who aren't those things shouldn't be allowed to say such things. To implement such a thing you must have criteria by which you can rule out the 'non-objective' people. Ergo, only approved people are allowed to say certain things. If this woman gets prosecuted for saying "today Mohammed would be called a paedophile" but another person does not, on account of them being deemed a suitable person to discuss such things, then the law is not equal. Additionally, I strongly suspect that anyone who did say such things would find themselves no longer deemed by the courts as an approved person to say it, in a Catch-22 situation that de facto means you have the right to criticise Islam so long as you don't actually use that right. Or dress it up in arcane enough terms and address it only to academic journals and not the greasy masses. I'm pretty sure you just want to shut up people like this woman. I mean, you argue only objective people should be allowed to make assertions about Mohammed, but I haven't yet heard you call for the silencing of Imams across Britain (who are certainly not objective, but pro- Mohammed rather than anti-).

I've written no lies. I've made a reasonable analysis of the implications of what you were arguing. Now wouldn't it have been simpler if you'd simply objected to my characterisation of your argument rather than all the weird attacks and screenshots? There's my answer. Am I wrong?

Soldato
And you have Hotwired arguing that you should only be allowed to criticise if you are approved to do so.

We're dealing with this claim and I say otherwise.

Okay. So instead of this long and painful process, instead when I asked you to show where I told a lie, you could have simply said: "You claimed I only wanted approved people to be allowed to criticise but I never said that". And I could have responded to the point. Instead of unfathomable screenshots.

So here is why I said that. You earlier argued that she should be sentenced because she wasn't "objective", that she's an "Islamaphobe" or whatever. I can dig out the quotes if necessary but if we're arguing honestly here, I think you'll agree you took that position. You use "objective" to mean neutral or unbiased. You think people who aren't those things shouldn't be allowed to say such things. To implement such a thing you must have criteria by which you can rule out the 'non-objective' people. Ergo, only approved people are allowed to say certain things. If this woman gets prosecuted for saying "today Mohammed would be called a paedophile" but another person does not, on account of them being deemed a suitable person to discuss such things, then the law is not equal. Additionally, I strongly suspect that anyone who did say such things would find themselves no longer deemed by the courts as an approved person to say it, in a Catch-22 situation that de facto means you have the right to criticise Islam so long as you don't actually use that right. Or dress it up in arcane enough terms and address it only to academic journals and not the greasy masses. I'm pretty sure you just want to shut up people like this woman. I mean, you argue only objective people should be allowed to make assertions about Mohammed, but I haven't yet heard you call for the silencing of Imams across Britain (who are certainly not objective, but pro- Mohammed rather than anti-).

I've written no lies. I've made a reasonable analysis of the implications of what you were arguing. Now wouldn't it have been simpler if you'd simply objected to my characterisation of your argument rather than all the weird attacks and screenshots? There's my answer. Am I wrong?

I have never used the word Islamophobe in this thread. The only time I have ever used it was referring to the purpose of hiring "Tommy Robinson" as a speaker for UKIP on the basis that his entire repertoire plays on fears of Muslims, I was and am happy with that usage. It does not have any relevance to this trial.

Now to your interpretation, you have blanked all context of the scenario and decided that mere objectivity is the issue. This is completely false and therefore not reasonable.

I believe whenever appropriate I have brought up the context of the advertisement for the lectures, the description of the lectures, just as it says in the ruling. Two clear points, the claim was indefensible as factual and that a non-factual highly negative claim was inappropriate for the claimed "educational" setting.

So on the grounds that it has no more value than a slur to insult living Muslims (the dead guy isn't going to take offence) she is breaking the law. Or as it was said:

Presenting objects of religious worship in a provocative way capable of hurting the feelings of the followers of that religion could be conceived as a malicious violation of the spirit of tolerance, which was one of the bases of a democratic society.

In other words a crime against peaceful society.

The ruling implicitly describes how in a more appropriate setting even such a provocative claim would be acceptable.

You don't see me taking issue with hard line Imams for a couple of reasons. One, they don't tend to post here and two, I find it beyond distasteful to get on a bandwagon of hate which inevitably happens when one gets mentioned. But in principle I have no truck with irrational belief based guidance. Which incidentally does cover the ironic situation of irrational belief against irrational belief because religion doesn't hold a monopoly. You can be against religion and still be full of ****.

Soldato
The same can't be said for adherents of a religion when regarding their religious texts and the purported sayings and actions of a prophet who is held to be a moral exemplar within the religion.

Exactly the point. There can be separation between an artist and their work. Where the person themself is the subject and the example to follow, that is not the case.

So what exactly is the point you are trying to make here?

You think people can just magically become child abusers because muslims follow Mo?

You keep banging on about mo being a molester and then you say he's an example to follow. How on earth can someone become attracted to children just because mo was???

I have never come across someone this preoccupied with Mo's sexuality. Heck I've met so many muslims in my life and none have been as preoccupied with mo's sexuality as you are. And your idea of being able to follow an example of sexuality is just ridiculous :D

So if mo was attracted to boys would you be like "oh dear muslims have to follow mo's example and become homosexuals" ???

Your logic just makes no sense.

Soldato
You say for a singer you seperate the art from the person. But then for mo you say people have to follow his example, as if you assume people can just become attracted to children like that???

Utterly ridiculous.

Soldato
@asim18 that’s not what they’re saying at all.

It’s quite clear, if you follow their logic, that:

A) You can’t trust the moral judgement of someone who would rape a nine year old. Therefore, because Mohamed is seen as the ‘moral exemplar’, the rest of Islamic teaching is morally devalued or void.

B) You don’t need to a paedophile to be Muslim, but if you are both it’s ‘acceptable’ because you are just following Mohamed’s example.

Furthermore, they will point to rape-gangs such as those in Rotherham and Rochdale and suggest that they may justify their actions because their Prophet also raped an underage girl.

Counter those points if you like, but don’t make up strawman arguments.

Soldato
So what exactly is the point you are trying to make here?

You think people can just magically become child abusers because muslims follow Mo?

Its fairly simple isn't it?

I don't think anyone is contesting that child marriage, often between quite old men and very young women was quite common in the past across many societies (including European ones) and is still present in some places in the world now.

I'm this regard there is nothing remarkable or particularly unusual about the purported marriage of Muhammad and Aisha when he was in his 50`s and she was still a young child.

The problem is that one aspect of Western culture (I'm not suggesting it's unique to it though) is a concept of human rights which includes a beleif that each individual has the right to self determination and that children have the right to be protected and nurtured and to be protected from what is considered abusive behaviour from adults which includes adults causing injury to children and adults have sexual relations with children.

Islam claims to be the final, perfect, unalterable message from God.

Islam isn't just a a religion its also rather prescriptive about matters of law and societal conduct (no verses re separation of religion and law as for example we see in Christianity) and as per the above these directions are often considered, by adherents, to be perfect, unalterable and entirely sufficient, in of themselves, directions from God himself on matters of law a societal norms for humans.

The position of Muhammed within Islam is that of a moral exemplar whoose words and actions are to be emulated by the faithful.

So the attention played to the issue of Muhammad and Aisha by critical non adherents of the religion isn't really so much about whether he was or wasn't a paedophille but rather a 'wedge' used to show that Islam, at its core, cannot reconcile itself with the contemporary values of other cultures...

Either Islam is correct and things like genocide, sex slavery and child marriage are permissible in some circumstances.

Or Islam isn't correct re these matters and the whole veil of infallibility collapses taking the whole religion with it as belief in the religion os predicated on its infallibility.

Soldato
A) You can’t trust the moral judgement of someone who would rape a nine year old. Therefore, because Mohamed is seen as the ‘moral exemplar’, the rest of Islamic teaching is morally devalued or void.
Thats not how morality should work.
Why do you need to "trust" someone else's morals? You judge for yourself.

Its just a dumbed down way of thinking isnt it? So if someone rapes someone, but they say something universally moral, that moral saying is suddenly immoral because a rapist is uttering it?

Surely the morality or immorality of a paricular quote needs to be construed from the message behind that particular moral itself. If you judge it based on whos uttering it or some "trust" rating then you will get erroneous/illogical results.

So lets say for example, mo says "dont kill innocent people", by your logic this becomes an immoral saying simply because the person saying it is a rapist. Even though not killing people is something moral. Morals are NOT gauged by some "trust" rating of the person uttering them.

I've psychiatrically evaluated convicted murderers lol, even they have uttered some surprisingly positive morals. The meaning behind a moral remains the same, just because it was a convicted criminal who believed in this moral doesnt suddenly make it immoral nor does it mean any other of his behaviour is immoral. Behaviour needs to be judged independently.

I cant remember the exact psychological term for this fallacious logic, but it is fallacious logic.

B) You don’t need to a paedophile to be Muslim, but if you are both it’s ‘acceptable’ because you are just following Mohamed’s example.

Furthermore, they will point to rape-gangs such as those in Rotherham and Rochdale and suggest that they may justify their actions because their Prophet also raped an underage girl.

He "married" and then raped her. (Not saying the marriage makes it OK!!! Before anyone thinks that). But for your logic to be fair you need to assume rotherham rapists were getting married to their victims first. Which they didnt in almost all cases, and no parents in their right mind would allow such a marriage in this day and age!

So this particular case is a bit half arsed anyway because you cant just ignore half of the story, the marriage part, which never happened and would most likely not happen. And as far as i know sex outside marriage is not allowed in islam so there is absolutely no way these rapists could possibly justify their behaviour as being in line with islam.

If you want to talk about setting mo's example, I think there was one case where one of the rapists held some type of "marriage" but then the vast majority of the cases the girls were being passed around from rapist to rapist and that is clearly not how mo did it. (Again not saying marriage aspect suddenly makes it right or any less worse!!!, im just saying if youre going to talk about people following mo's example then you cant miss out half of that example)

What these rotherham rapists did was wrong, even by mo's/Islam's standards.

And id reckon they are going to their own hell. You need to keep in mind that islam is just a continuation of the worshipping of the abrahamic idea of god regardless of what some future prophet warlord came along to write about. I reckon at least 80% of the followers are go to their own idea of hell anyway if it really existed.

I dont even know why ive gotten myself into this debate. I dont even care about this warlord or any fairytales, I personally think its all crap. Ive made my points and would like to exit this discussion you guys can continue, its a waste of time talking about ancient rapists and fairytales.

Thank you.

Soldato
Islam claims to be the final, perfect, unalterable message from God.

Ah man you dragged me right back into the thread.

Islam doesnt claim to be the message from god. The Quran claims this. And this rape stuff is not mentioned in the quran.

Also you said muslims need to emulate mohammed. This is also not islam. Theres a difference between worshipping mohammed and islam. In fact the quran prohibits the worshipping of prophets. So most muslims are going to hell just based on this. (If the fairytale is to be believed)

Soldato
In fact 99% of what muslims practise as islam is not even in the quran lol. Its actually hilarious.

I would recommend reading the quran even though its fictional. You'd be surprised how so many muslims are so wrong at their own religion. :D

Soldato
Ah man you dragged me right back into the thread.

Islam doesnt claim to be the message from god. The Quran claims this. And this rape stuff is not mentioned in the quran.

Also you said muslims need to emulate mohammed. This is also not islam. Theres a difference between worshipping mohammed and islam. In fact the quran prohibits the worshipping of prophets. So most muslims are going to hell just based on this. (If the fairytale is to be believed)

Islam is based on the quran. Its playing semantics to say that Islam doesn't claim to be the expression of divine guidance.

Muhammed is held as a moral exemplar whoose actions and words are to be emulated this is not the same as worshipping him.

Back
Top Bottom