• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA Stock Falls 2.1% After Turing GPU Reviews Fail to Impress Morgan Stanley, are they doomed?

Man of Honour
Once you have a card that can every game 4K 60 fps no need to upgrade but future graphics cards will be better at ray tracing that will be the selling point.

Games move on - next generation will (in theory) see evolutions in visual quality, etc. so that what might run 4K 60 FPS with today's games likely won't with tomorrows.

Soldato
Over the past two months, Nvidia’s stock has dropped from a closing price of $289.36 on October 1 to today’s opening of $148.42, a decline of 48.8 percent.
https://techcrunch.com/2018/12/12/nvidia-perfect-storm/

Maybe they'll jack the prises of the GFX cards up to ridiculous levels , oh wait they've done that ;)

Hope so, Ive got about £27k in NVidia stock at the moment :p

Hopefully you diversified or you've probably only got £18K now!

Soldato
Over the past two months, Nvidia’s stock has dropped from a closing price of $289.36 on October 1 to today’s opening of $148.42, a decline of 48.8 percent.
https://techcrunch.com/2018/12/12/nvidia-perfect-storm/
Nvidia's financials have been impressive over the past few years but their improvement in share price has outstripped their improvement their bottom line so there was bound to be a correction at some point.

Soldato
They did. It NEEDED to fail to teach Nvidia they can't just rip gamers off with expensive but poorly made products.
But that's not the reason it fell so they haven't learned that lesson...yet at least :).
It fell I think due to crypto mining affecting things more than they previously said it would do. NV lost a bit of market trust there too. Investor don't like it when told "Mining won't affect our future results much" and then "You know we said mining wouldn't affect our future results much? Well it did. Sorry, tough luck".

Last edited:
Soldato
But that's not the reason it fell so they haven't learned that lesson...yet at least :).
It fell I think due to crypto mining affecting things more than they previously said it would do. NV lost a bit of market trust there too. Investor don't like it when told "Mining won't affect our future results much" and then "You know we said mining wouldn't affect our future results much? Well it did. Sorry, tough luck".

But they priced them as if the GPU mining boom was still going on. They thought they could cash in on it, but it was well over by the time they got released and people generally were not buying Nvidia cards for mining anyway.

Associate
Global Tech stocks are having a very tough time currently with the escalating tension between US and China, China & SE Asia in general- look at Apple for the indication that global tech was/is massively overpriced and market corrections along with the global volatility of equities mean it is just continuing on its cyclical nature- nothing to see here, move along, move along:D

Soldato
I think it's nice to see companies like Nvidia and Apple share price drop after jacking their prices up so high.

I was a huge Apple fan but after the release of the iPhone X for 1k with 64gb of ram I said enough was enough and did something I never thought I would do and that was to buy an android phone (Samsung S8). I couldn't of been happier with my purchase and have found the android platform far better and more flexible than iOS. I would have never of left the iOS ecosystem had their pricing remained sensible and now it's going to take some doing to get me to go back to iOS.

This is also the first generation in a long time I haven't bought a new gen gpu on release due to nvidias stupid pricing. A gpu to me is simply not worth £1200-1300 especially when the performance leap isn't as large as it usually is, even if it was twice as fast as the last gen I wouldn't pay that figure for a gpu.

Permabanned
I missed my first ever... EVER generation upgrade because they made it £700 for 30% so i said i would keep my money and did. The same applies to Intel who cannot get the IPC and now we hear about this new non core range coming on 7nm.

Nvidia need a rethink Jensens logic is well they may be mad but with gsync we trapped them. Not so with me if they do not deliver something in 2019 they will see further slumps. Also i smash the dislike button on the 2080 videos which makes me feel better.

Soldato
But they priced them as if the GPU mining boom was still going on. They thought they could cash in on it, but it was well over by the time they got released and people generally were not buying Nvidia cards for mining anyway.
In fairness to them, the FE cards were never priced differently during the mining boom. Stock was of course low but I managed to pick up some 1070 Ti's in Nov/Dec last year at an uninflated price. AIB 1070 Ti's were upwards of £600 at some point.
I think the 20 series pricing is a combination of things. High production costs/low supply. Trying to make up for lost revenue from other areas (mining). New technology tax. Lack of competition. I find the 2080 Ti FE cost of "£1099" reasonable to be honest when I balance things up (new tech, potential, low supply etc), although I haven't bought one, but £1400+ for AIB's, well, I wouldn't pay that price for them when an FE card is a decent wedge of cash less. I'm not willing to pay an "ultimate" cooling tax for a few extra FPS if you happen to win the silicon lottery too :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nice to see nvidia taking a kick in the wallet, much like the kick they gave people with the 2080ti pricing. How much of a fail of a launch was that (combined with other things) to drop their share price by almost half in several months?

Back
Top Bottom