Insurance Start Day

Associate
Hello my renewal is about to come and i have been looking out for insurances.
I got a really good quote online that unfortunately had the start day before the renewal by a couple days. Whenever i changed it , it gave me error so i phoned and they said that quote is only available untill that day.
If i wanted to have it changed to the normal renewal day it will be nearly 2x more.
So can i start that insurance a few days early without using it?
Would that be allowed as im stating x ammount of NCB which then i wouldn't achieve as it hasn't been the full year.

Soldato
If your current policy runs out on a given day then you won't have earned that your final years' no-claims discount until that particular day! (so if it's your first years insurance then you effectively have nil until the policy has run for a full year!

Does the new quote run over the end of a month or something? (I work in insurance and while rates are fluid, they tend not to change much unless you've gone into a new month!)

Associate
OP
No the quote i received that was really good comes in at 4th January and renewal is on the 11th. So only couple days but a huge price difference. Thats what i was thinking , i wouldnt have achieved the full ncb yet and im declaring i already have it on the policy start date.

Soldato
The thing about earning a year's no-claims bonus is that you have to have a policy that has run claim free for 365 days, not 358 days!

I'd ask the provider why that particular quote has gone up so much for the sake of a week but in fairness they don't have to give you a reasonable answer - they can just charge what they deem to be their price!

Soldato
The thing about earning a year's no-claims bonus is that you have to have a policy that has run claim free for 365 days, not 358 days!

I'd ask the provider why that particular quote has gone up so much for the sake of a week but in fairness they don't have to give you a reasonable answer - they can just charge what they deem to be their price!
Unless it's a 10 month policy :p.

Man of Honour
Associate
OP
As in I started my policy on a Wednesday rather than a Saturday even though the Wednesday was less time between getting the quote and the policy starting.
oh okay , it should start on Friday the 11th . Its just so bs that they are making excuses that they can't have same price for a week later because its all automated and based on risks. I called again today and was offered 1.5x price of the 7 day earlier quote.

Soldato
Could just buy it and them ring up a few days later and just say you want to delay the start date.

Worst thing that will happen is you cancel the policy within the no penalty window.

I was surprised last year when delaying the insurance start date by 1 day saved me £40, the mysteries of insurance quotes

Back
Top Bottom