• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
I get those too even with 1180 in 3DMark, if the ambient is high enough. I haven't found any games that benefit from more than 1100MHz though. I can run 1150MHz all day if needed, but then ARK wigs out. Having said that ARK wigs out no matter my settings :D

Undervolt/OC/Balanced/Performance you name it ARK dies eventually. ******* woefully optimised game.

Yep. Benching I can do 1780/1180 which gives a monster score, but in games you won't see any noticeable and obvious increase in fps running the HBM flat out. As long as you can get around 1100mhz that's more than a big enough bump up from stock. I just game 1700/1100 with low volts keeping temps down around 40c on both core and mem.

Associate
OK so I took peoples advice and I uninstalled DDU and this time I downloaded the 18.12.1.1. driver and uninstalled the new Adrenalin driver and rebooted. Bizarrely it loaded the 17.1 drivers(?) so I just started the setup for the 18.12.1.1 driver, did express install and hey presto it worked.

I've now got fan control back and I've set my under volt settings again and everything seems to be working as it should. Fan noise is under control which is my main concern and performance is where it was. I'll just put this down to experience I guess and just move on.

Associate
Are people seeing better clocks from Samsung HBM over Hynix? Mine won't go over 1080 stable in Timespy :(

Every time I have tried 1100 mem even with 1100mv Timespy just falls over :(

Soldato
Apparently Samsung is better than Hynix. the Samsung will clock higher, I've had mine at 1150 @ 1000mv though I ahven't gamed with it s et that high, just ran Heaven for about an hour. I've since dropped back to 1100@1000mv as I'm really looking to keep the power draw down as low as I can which directly effects fan speed so its quieter.

Associate
Apparently Samsung is better than Hynix. the Samsung will clock higher, I've had mine at 1150 @ 1000mv though I ahven't gamed with it s et that high, just ran Heaven for about an hour. I've since dropped back to 1100@1000mv as I'm really looking to keep the power draw down as low as I can which directly effects fan speed so its quieter.
Just cos nobody else mentioned it. The mV setting for HBM has zero reference to the HBM voltage. It's actually referencing DPM5 (according to Gupsterg on overclock.net) and as far as I've seen when running high clocks for benching having it at 1050-1100 can stabilise things a bit. When running undervolted you need to drop it to at least the same mV you want to run the core at. My min viable is 970mV so I have to match both to get that active. If you want max performance then 1050mV is the minimum AFAIK.

Soldato
Just cos nobody else mentioned it. The mV setting for HBM has zero reference to the HBM voltage. It's actually referencing DPM5 (according to Gupsterg on overclock.net) and as far as I've seen when running high clocks for benching having it at 1050-1100 can stabilise things a bit. When running undervolted you need to drop it to at least the same mV you want to run the core at. My min viable is 970mV so I have to match both to get that active. If you want max performance then 1050mV is the minimum AFAIK.

Aha, I seem to remember reading something about that. I've just reset the ram volatge to auto, speed @ 1100 and I'm benching heaven as I'm typing this.

Last edited:
Associate
I can Help with this, are you running it in dx12 or dx 11 ?

SotTR? I had been wanting to run that in DX12. Do you need to disable crossfire altogether to allow the API of the game to handle multi GPU?

Could not get two cards working in the Division either, in DX11 or DX12.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Associate
I've been tinkering with my card seeing what different settings make to games and some of the results baffle me. This for example is Dirt Rally.

Stock: Avg: 117.53 Min: 86.82 Max: 139.30 Power: 261W

High Performance (P7 - 1652 @ 1050mv Memory: 1100mhz): Avg: 123.41 Min: 85.98 Max: 161.21 Power: 214W

Low Power (P7 - 1602 @ 925mv Memory: 1000mhz): Avg: 119.19 Min: 88.91 Max: 155.77 Power: 149W

How is it that stock performance is worse but uses so much more power. And then why is the higher performance one I setup with higher overclocked memory only 5 - 8 fps faster than the lower power one.

Do other people see results like this? Is it just this game in particular do you think?

Last edited:
Associate
Tried putting my Vega 64 to stock settings and only changing the HBM to 1100 and leaving everything else on auto to see if it would pass Timespy and it wont do it :( definitely think my cards a total lemon, ive yet to get it stable 100% on any settings other than default.

It will pass Timespy fine but it will randomly crash in games, i have memtested my PC's ram and run Prime on the CPU and both of those pass fine, so im fairly certain its the GPU. Like i say i never had these issues with my 1070 and 1080, its a shame really but it means i'll just have to leave the card at the stock settings, thats a lot of performance left untapped and a lot of excess power being used but ho hum.

I even done a wipe and clean install of Windows 10 and the latest drivers and still the same, im tempted to roll back to the previous drivers, but im not convinced that the card will perform any better on those either.

Associate
Yeah does sound like a lemon, if possible RMA and get a better unit. Mate of mine got one like that at the initial launch. Mine OC'd pretty well his couldn't move above stock.

Doubt you can RMA just based on the fact it won't overclock unfortunately, as it runs fine at stock settings.

It's no biggy anyhow, I can always put the 1080 back in if need be, but in all honesty it only need to last me til Zen2 and 7nm Radeon and then I will be building a new PC and my boys will be getting this rig and they only play Minecraft etc so will be plenty good enough for them.

Soldato
SotTR? I had been wanting to run that in DX12. Do you need to disable crossfire altogether to allow the API of the game to handle multi GPU?

Could not get two cards working in the Division either, in DX11 or DX12.

Any tips would be appreciated.
All you need to do is remove any crossfire profile you have made for it in the game profiles section, set the crossfire logo on just for checking purposes turn the game to dx12 and it will just work, i get 60-70, fps on 4k ultra everything with just the first aa option It scales better the higher the resolution. Let me know how it goes

Soldato
Doubt you can RMA just based on the fact it won't overclock unfortunately, as it runs fine at stock settings.

It's no biggy anyhow, I can always put the 1080 back in if need be, but in all honesty it only need to last me til Zen2 and 7nm Radeon and then I will be building a new PC and my boys will be getting this rig and they only play Minecraft etc so will be plenty good enough for them.

Are you undervolting your card? I assume you have but its best to ask as these cards really do need to be undervolted to stop excessive heat and therefore throttling.

Associate
Hi Guys
This is my first time posting here.
Here are my system specs
Ryzen 5 2600 @4ghz 1.35v
16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000mhz
Asus prime X370 pro
EVGA supernova G2 750w
256gb ssd
2* 3tb HDD
1tb HDD
Sapphire Vega 64 nitro +

I recently got a Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ and Im having a few issues , particularly with Total War Warhammer 1. You see what happens is the usage of the card will drop so in turn the card drops clocks,problem is it doesnt go back up and im stuck with a very low frame rate.If im zoomed out during a battle and dont zoom in this doesnt happen .Ive posted to the Total war subreddit and other people with Vega cards arent facing this issue.Something similar happens with Assassin's Creed origins as well. All this happens at stock out of the box settings as well as with my undervolt.

Another issue that's kind of similar is that sometimes after the PC has been at the desktop for a while(maybe an hour) the card won't clock up from idle state even if a load is placed on it. I have to restart my PC when this happens.

My undervolt is as follows:
P6 1402mhz 1050mv
P7 1632mhz 1070mv

During benchmarks and games clocks stay steady at 1560mhz core and 1045mhz HBM.

HBM 1045mhz 1050mv
+50% power target

During benchmarks these settings are stable and even during game benchmarks like shadow of war, rise of the tomb raider and Total war Warhammer 1,in the case of total war warhammer benchmark the above issue doesn't manifest just in an actual battle. In assassin's Creed
the above issue manifests.

What I've done so far is to uninstall the driver with DDU and reinstall as well as install older versions to no avail.

Would realy like some opinions as to what is going on before I RMA.

Edit: forgot to mention that core,HBM and hotspot are fine during benchmarks and games sitting around 60,65 and 70 respectively

Soldato
I've also got a sapphire Vega 64 so you try these settings that were posted a earlier in this thread which I'm trying out meself: I have the same cpu as well.

P6 - 1100
P7 - 1130
power target - 50%
Leave HBM at stock for now
Fan set to auto.
Set windows 10 to performance settings (I read somewhere this can impact general performance, etc, but not entirely sure it makes a difference, but its removing one variable that might)

Give that lot a go and see how you get on.

Associate
I've also got a sapphire Vega 64 so you try these settings that were posted a earlier in this thread which I'm trying out meself: I have the same cpu as well.

P6 - 1100
P7 - 1130
power target - 50%
Leave HBM at stock for now
Fan set to auto.
Set windows 10 to performance settings (I read somewhere this can impact general performance, etc, but not entirely sure it makes a difference, but its removing one variable that might)

Give that lot a go and see how you get on.
Ok wow that worked wonders. I still get frames dropping to 40fps when zooming right in but now the frame rate picks back up. Clocks also drop but now they pick back up like they are supposed to.Im going to try my undervolt with the high performance power plan in windows and report back.

Thanks so much

Edit : I loaded up my undervolt and HBM overclock settings and kept windows power profile at high performance and it looks like my issue is solved. I get a solid 60 fps now now matter what I do and the clocks still drop but they pick up again as usage picks up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok wow that worked wonders. I still get frames dropping to 40fps when zooming right in but now the frame rate picks back up. Clocks also drop but now they pick back up like they are supposed to.Im going to try my undervolt with the high performance power plan in windows and report back.

Thanks so much

Edit : I loaded up my undervolt and HBM overclock settings and kept windows power profile at high performance and it looks like my issue is solved. I get a solid 60 fps now now matter what I do and the clocks still drop but they pick up again as usage picks up.

Out of curiosity, put windows 10 performance setting to balanced and see if the problem returns. It might prove that the balanced setting was to blame. I've tried it on mine but doesn't seem to make a difference but it could be game sensitive.

Back
Top Bottom