*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Caporegime
OP
I know but so was my slim at launch i just don't trust sony anymore they seem to either use crappy thermal paste, pads or have tiny arse heatsinks.

it's a simple fix for anyone who has built several pc's before.

it's a bit trickier and more time consuming you just have to be gentle with antenna connectors.

plenty of youtube videos. you can also give it a quick clean too whilst it's open.

i was also thinking won't upgrading to an ssd reduce heat being output from the drive? ssd's run cooler. i also believe hybrid drive runs cooler than a fully mechanical drive. this may help keep other components run cooler. i'm unsure whether running an ssd in a ps4 can now be done without it slowing down over time or we need a hybrid still.

was thinking of going for a hybrid myself and re-doing all the thermal pads and paste.

every little helps

Soldato

it's a bit trickier and more time consuming you just have to be gentle with antenna connectors.

plenty of youtube videos. you can also give it a quick clean too whilst it's open.

i was also thinking won't upgrading to an ssd reduce heat being output from the drive? ssd's run cooler. i also believe hybrid drive runs cooler than a fully mechanical drive. this may help keep other components run cooler. i'm unsure whether running an ssd in a ps4 can now be done without it slowing down over time or we need a hybrid still.

was thinking of going for a hybrid myself and re-doing all the thermal pads and paste.

every little helps

To be honest, it's a games console not a PC and no one should have to go through any of that to keep it operating as intended.

Soldato

every little helps

I did replace the Thermal paste on my old PS4 but not the pads it was much quieter for 2 months then it go so loud, I know its rather simply but we shouldn't have to do this my friends OG Xbox one and X are still silent.

Caporegime
OP
i completely agree which is why I haven't done it yet. Mine is still under warranty. I will do it at some point.

A lot of people have modded theirs too. it's a simple case of the console being so small and everything so tightly packed in.

the xbox is a much much bigger console with an external power brick.

so it has much more space and doesn't have the bulk of it's PSU inside the console.

Soldato
The One S and One X don't have external power supplies.

With the PS4s it tends to be the heatsink that gets clogged with dust, the fins are really tightly packed and even blowing compressed air through the rear vents won't help because the heatsink is mounted between the PSU and the fan.

V F

V F

Soldato
The One S and One X don't have external power supplies.

With the PS4s it tends to be the heatsink that gets clogged with dust, the fins are really tightly packed and even blowing compressed air through the rear vents won't help because the heatsink is mounted between the PSU and the fan.

Interesting. My 1200c model which is 3 years old now, I've not opened it up yet and it's still as quiet or appears to be since the day it was new. It's never loud and has lots of game time over the years.

I cannot imagine the white paste they use will be in good condition to this day?

Caporegime
I had a 14 day entertainment trial which I cancelled about 3 hours ago. Even offered me a deal, £3.30 month if I stayed with them. No hassle at all to cancel.

Yeah, I'm not saying that. I don't like my CC details being stored on their system and you can't delete them or any of your other details.

Soldato
PlayStation Access presents 20 games coming to PS4 in 2019 (and beyond)

Resident Evil 2 - Capcom
Dreams - Media Molicule / Sony
Kingdom Hearts 3 - Square Enix
Anthem - Bioware / EA
Concrete Genie - PixelOpus / Sony
Mortal Kombat 11 - Neverrealm / Warner Brothers
Devil May Cry 5 - Capcom
Blood and Truth - Sony
Death Stranding - Kojima Productions / Sony
Sekrio: Shadows Die Twice - From Software / Activision
MediEvil - Other Ocean / Sony
Days Gone - Sony
Shenmue III - YS Net & Neilo / Deep Silver
Rage 2 - Avalanche & id Software / Bethesda
Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled - Beenox / Activision
Ghosts of Tsushima - Sucker Punch / Sony
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown - Bandai Namco
Observation - No Code / Devolver Digital
Control - Remedy Entertainment / 505 Games
The Last of Us Part II - Naughty Dog / Sony

Soldato
You know what, I love new consoles but if it's just better graphics I can honestly see me not buying at launch as I have every other console. The only console I didn't regret buying at launch was the Switch.

Back
Top Bottom