I feel like I'm... done with gaming?

Soldato
Welp, I've fallen into this dip again, after rebuilding my PC with some upgraded cooling and more focus on silence. I've picked up a huge roster of new games recently and 2 days ago, the wife and I were playing OW and we had match after match after match of being put up against stupidly high ranked players carrying their friends or being teamed up with bought accounts. I didn't even realise you can buy a high ranked account for $30! Anyway, ruined it and I got super frustrated and just gave up. Last night, I didn't even tough my PC and today I just don't even want to think about it...

Prior to that, I dabbled in a few games here and there, Styx, Dragon Quest 11, Forza Horizons 4, BF5 (HA) etc etc. But, nothing has gripped me. I may default my self and jump into Skyrim again and just sink a few evenings into it knowing it will bring me back.

Does anyone else have their 'default' go to game to refresh their thirst for gaming? Another is Eve, I can sit and just hack sites for hours in that game.

Put many many hours into DQ11, incredible game to be honest.

Story wise I didn’t think much for the first 10hrs or so then it just gets better and better to the point where it’s just absolutely amazing.

Brilliant game, real gem. My most favourite of this year and definitely in my top ten next to DQ8.

I can see me probably putting 100-150hrs into it easily.

Soldato
I feel like I'm in the same boat. Really not enjoying anything at the minute. Games just seem full of bugs and empty of content these days. Actually tempted to sell my rig after tonight :(

Soldato
I feel like I'm in the same boat. Really not enjoying anything at the minute. Games just seem full of bugs and empty of content these days. Actually tempted to sell my rig after tonight :(

So i have gotten around the content thing by only buying "complete" editions of games. I am so far behind now that it is easy to do as well... and it makes everything nice and cheap.

i must admit i do not always stick to this rule, but more often than not i do. I just started just cause 3 XXL. to me it looks almost as good as JC4 but it cost me pennies, and for the XXL edition. The bug problems are also reduced a lot playing this way as well.

Soldato
I think it's a natural part of ageing to look at your hobbies and wonder if they're worth the time invested... especially as you start to sense the limits to your lifespan. However, despite knowing in my heart that gaming is not something I'll lie on my death bed and wish I'd done more of, I also know that we all need a bit of Time Out, and gaming can certainly be a sort of active meditation, removing your brain from reality for a while.

Whether it'd be better to spend that time actually meditating, or reading a book, watching The Wire again, or going for a walk among green stuff is debatable though; I'm not sure I have an answer. But I do know that since I got this laptop, with a 9600m chipset capable of running things like Borderlands and Far Cry 3/4 with things dialled down, my tapering interest in gaming has picked up... mainly because I can multitask on the sofa without hiding away on my desktop.

The only reason I'd fire up my desktop now is for Google Earth VR (last used over six months ago, admittedly) or if I got back into racing sims via VR. So it's quite possible I've bought my last desktop machine. Mind you, there's probably another decade left in my 2500k anyway, especially if I never turn it on. :)

Soldato
I think I've hit the wall for a wee while, there are no games released in the past year or so that have really gripped me like e.g Witcher 3 did. I've put together a really great rig and cooling system and TBH I enjoyed planning and building that more than anything I've played on it so far.

Monitor tech seems to have stalled with no viable successor to my X34a. VR is the same, showing great promise but I really thought there would be some improvements by now. The Ray Tracing thing is a complete joke and Nvidia have pretty much cut off the entry route and upgrade path for most potential or established PC gamers.

It feels pretty grim right now, I doubt that I'll spend any where near as much time at my PC this coming year. The only thing I've got an eye on is the new Ryzen release, but with decent games so thin on the ground I fear I may not have the enthusiasm for a rig rebuild.

Associate
I’ve put aside some time whilst off for the Xmas break and have spent some of it trying to finish Wolfenstein but now playing Titanfall 2 campaign (going cheap at the moment) which is absolutely awesome!

Looking forward to Metro Exodus and Rage 2 now next year

Permabanned
Well a large part of it is games just aren't as good as they used to be. There are very few which stand out for me now. I think the last one I played properly was Witcher 3.
I cant even be arsed to play that lol.

To the OP ive been feeling the same for alongtime, have recently gone back to flight sims and retro games. Nothing new excites me anymore, even the AAA titles fail to pull me in.

Soldato
I also think that it's a natural part of getting older. Most of my friends only play retro games from the 80s/90s now! Even myself the only thing that's really kept my attention this year is the Nintendo switch(Zelda and Mario are fantastic) and VR. Most AAA games I've found myself getting bored of after an hour or two.

Red dead redemption 2 for example I played for about 3-4 hours, hated the combat/horse riding dynamics and sold a couple of days later!

VR has been a bit of a game changer. It's the first technology in over a decade that's actually got me excited for gaming again.

V F

V F

Soldato
I also think that it's a natural part of getting older. Most of my friends only play retro games from the 80s/90s now! Even myself the only thing that's really kept my attention this year is the Nintendo switch(Zelda and Mario are fantastic) and VR. Most AAA games I've found myself getting bored of after an hour or two.

Red dead redemption 2 for example I played for about 3-4 hours, hated the combat/horse riding dynamics and sold a couple of days later!

VR has been a bit of a game changer. It's the first technology in over a decade that's actually got me excited for gaming again.

I tried that once. The nostalgia wasn't there. It honestly felt horrible thinking how did I once play this crap. Everything was horribly blocky and vibrant.

My only gripe with most PC games is how everyone must follow the Battle Royale/Battle Pass trend. Sure some games it works well but everyone else it feels like we have to do it to get on the gravy train.

Caporegime
My one and only gripe is the commodification of the gaming community, I probably can on a single hand the amount of companies I trust at the moment, the rest are disgusting marketeering ***** only in it for the money because they've either gotten bored of the industry or the marketing team has taken over.

I'm tired of trying to argue with clearly Stockholm syndrome'd and willfully ignorant as well who think it'll get better if you just wait a little longer... constantly making excuses for their time investment (especially with WoW players, i never could get into MMO's mind you, but even an outsider can tell you how sad this has become).

Eventually something has to give, and it would appear that investment is drying up for these companies at last.

Soldato
My one and only gripe is the commodification of the gaming community, I probably can on a single hand the amount of companies I trust at the moment, the rest are disgusting marketeering ***** only in it for the money because they've either gotten bored of the industry or the marketing team has taken over.

I'm tired of trying to argue with clearly Stockholm syndrome'd and willfully ignorant as well who think it'll get better if you just wait a little longer... constantly making excuses for their time investment (especially with WoW players, i never could get into MMO's mind you, but even an outsider can tell you how sad this has become).

Eventually something has to give, and it would appear that investment is drying up for these companies at last.
To be fair, world of Warcraft was a masterpiece of design, community support and forward thinking in its time

Soldato
My one and only gripe is the commodification of the gaming community

That's definitely the modern trend which annoys me the most. Filling games full of micro-transactions/DLC/Adverts and then building the game around grind so progress is hindered or certain parts of the game can't be played without either paying or spending and silly amount of hours playing the game.

The other which irks me is that games increasingly seem to be built around gambling style behaviours with things like loot crates. What worries me more is seeing games that are actually being specifically created to exploit this mechanic to extract the maximum amount of cash from addicted players!

It could just be that I'm getting old/grumpy and don't have patience for gaming anymore ;)

Associate
I am 52, still gaming although nowhere near as much as I used to. Used to only play WoW but tbh struggling to retain interest for the game at present. Due to a bag leg which requires me to keep it elevated, I invested in a lapboard, hooked my PC up to my 4k tv and have been thoroughly enjoying Assassin's Creed Odyssey. It runs like a dream, looks fantastic and is quite a good game to boot. This has kind of rekindled my love of gaming and made it a lot more comfortable too.

Associate
Im 42 now i do play games most days but i find most modern games get boring very quick. it also over the last few years makes me think twice about upgrading my pc as i feel most the games that are coming out just aint worth the expense. i do have quite a good retro collection of hardware and games that i find far more gripping so thats where my money goes or going out with my mates for a couple of pints and a game of pool when i need to give my eyeballs a rest.

Back
Top Bottom