**** Official Fallout 76 Thread ****

Soldato
I still can't figure out why people are supporting this game. Hitman 2 has vanished from the sales charts on all platforms despite excellent reviews, yet seemingly no amount of warning has put people off buying this. What a tragedy.

Soldato
I still can't figure out why people are supporting this game. Hitman 2 has vanished from the sales charts on all platforms despite excellent reviews, yet seemingly no amount of warning has put people off buying this. What a tragedy.
I dont see the major issue. Yeah so its slightly buggy here and there, nothing show stopping, a few nuisance server disconnects. On the whole for me, it has been a very enjoyable experience so far. No its not worth full RRP and i would never recommend it at such price, but for ~£15 it has given me far more for my money in the limited time i've played than a lot of recent AAA games.

Soldato
Do camps genuinely defend themselves? I came across another players camp yesterday, with 4 turrets in place. But it was being attacked by a couple of super mutants, and they weren't firing back.

I took them out for them - whether deliberate or not, the player had put the stash box outside of the locked bit of the camp, meaning I could use it as my own stash box. Seemed only fair to repair that kindness.

Incidentally, my camp does seem to act as a stash box itself, despite being told earlier in this thread that wasn't the case.

They don't do a particularly good job of defending themselves. But I don't think they potentially come under attack unless you or another player is within range.

Having workbenches/stash boxes outside is a nice idea as it saves someone breaking into your camp just to store stuff.

Associate
Enjoyment turning to frustration as the lack of ammo is killing me (literally) melee just does'nt go good as I can't tank the mobs.
Close range combat with weapons is shocking with the hit detection.
Need me a good source of lead.

Soldato
I got surprised by a lvl 65 ashy burnt thing. I'm lvl 17, my base was close so I ran to it. Then with the ash beast following I got jumped on by 4 super mutants who started attacking the ash thing. So with them all following I reached my base where my 5 turrets made short work of them all. With the area mostly clear I then proceded to blow myself up with the meat land mine I made for a quest. :D

Soldato
I dont see the major issue. Yeah so its slightly buggy here and there, nothing show stopping, a few nuisance server disconnects. On the whole for me, it has been a very enjoyable experience so far. No its not worth full RRP and i would never recommend it at such price, but for ~£15 it has given me far more for my money in the limited time i've played than a lot of recent AAA games.

Don't feed the trolls :p

It does make me laugh that majority of the people who are criticising it haven't even played the game. It's like saying a film is rubbish when you haven't even watched it.

I only read/take note of @Angilion criticisms because he's actually been playing the game.

Soldato
Enjoyment turning to frustration as the lack of ammo is killing me (literally) melee just does'nt go good as I can't tank the mobs.

What ammo do you need? Add me in game and I'll sort you some out. I'm always swimming in ammo.

Soldato
I just wondered onto Whitespring Golf course. What lovely residence and thankfully awesome guards, I could do with one of those guards to following me.

Soldato
Don't feed the trolls :p

It does make me laugh that majority of the people who are criticising it haven't even played the game. It's like saying a film is rubbish when you haven't even watched it.

I only read/take note of @Angilion criticisms because he's actually been playing the game.

Yeah pfft imaging somebody who has played it writing up an account of what it was like as a sort of "review" or something and imagine if loads of people did it and pretty much unanimously had bad things to say about it... Only a complete idiot would pay any attention to that!

Associate
Has anyone found plans for the laser rifle or plasma rifle yet? I’ve scrapped tons of laser rifles and got a few mods but nothing with any serious damage. Is there an overcharged capacitor for the laser rifle?

I’ve got a level 35 plasma sniper rifle but even the damage on it seems low.

Man of Honour
Do camps genuinely defend themselves? I came across another players camp yesterday, with 4 turrets in place. But it was being attacked by a couple of super mutants, and they weren't firing back.
[..]

Turrets are bugged, which is a new achievement for Bethesda. Sometimes they fire back, sometimes they don't. It's not about range or line of sight or lighting - I've tested those things with my own camp and mobs that have followed me home plus a supermutant who spotted my camp from the edge of a cliff and shot a corn plant over and over again. I've had mole rats pop up inside the camp and start chewing on things well with range and line of sight of at least 2 turrets. Sometimes directly attacking a turret. Sometimes the turrets don't fire, sometimes they do, sometimes they remain inert for a while and then suddenly open up for no reason I could see. If one starts firing, all the others that can target the same mob do so. If I attack a mob, all the turrets do so. On the other hand, I've seen my turrets open up on mobs I couldn't even see from my camp. They were liberator bots, it was dark and there's a fair bit of ground vegetation on the approach to my camp. But the turrets worked just fine. So I think the threat detection is bugged. Or maybe it's deliberate and higher level turrets have better threat detection and Bethesda didn't bother mentioning that. But I think a bug is more likely.

Man of Honour

I can tell you what I did to begin with. It worked for me - I soon built up to ~2000 rounds (~1000 for each of my weapons) and I easily maintain that amount unless I go full auto. I hardly ever used melee.

To start with, I picked up and scrapped every pipe weapon unless it was better than the one I already had (in which case I repaired and modded that one and scrapped my previous one) until I had all the mods for pipe guns and pipe revolver pistols (including a stock, which turns it into a rifle). Although by that time I had dispensed with pipe pistols and was using a pump-action shotgun (and scrapping every other one I found for the mods).

So by L5 (I think, maybe it was L10 for the shotgun), I was using a pipe revolver rifle for distance and a pump-action shotgun for close range. Both have quite slow rates of fire but high damage per shot, which reduces ammo use. Pipe revolver rifle with a hardened receiver, recoil reducing stock, stabilised long barrel and medium scope works well at a distance. For most mobs, aim for the head. Shotgun with similar mods but no scope (no use for one) works well at close range. Aim not really required. Favourite them both to make swapping between them easy.

I stayed in the valley area until I was at least L20. Mobs are much easier in that area and won't be way over your level.

I also scrapped all spare leather and metal armour to learn mods. Girded leather, for example, is much better than ordinary leather.

Once I had learned the plans for a weapon or armour, I crafted it at the maximum level I could, crafting new kit when possible. A L10 item is significantly better than a L1 item.

I picked perks for shotgun and rifle, which increase damage, increase stagger chance, whatever is useful.

I was using those weapons up to high 20s in level, when I finally learned enough combat shotgun and combat rifle mods to switch to those. I'm L39 and I still haven't learned how to craft a combat shotgun, nor have I learned how to craft a hardened receiver for a combat rifle. But it's still fine for soloing a L50 scorchbeast and half a dozen ~L30 scorched at the same time.

I assume you have lead tagged for search. It's rare enough if you do. If you don't, you'll probably end up missing most of it. Many items contain lead in the Fallout world. Children's toys. Paint. Pencils. All sorts of things.

Soldato
Right, so to explain to those wondering why the game gets so much hate... It's not necessarily down to being a terrible game, you're allowed to have fun with and enjoy it. The issue people take with it is what the game represents, it is objectively an attempt to cash in on the Fallout brand with minor effort on Bethesda's behalf in order to get in on the microtransactions phenomena. It's also objectively the worst game Bethesda have made (doesn't mean it HAS to be a bad game), and could set the precedence on how Bethesda approach future titles. You do not want Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 to come out anything like Fallout 76 regardless of how much you're enjoying it, even if you think you do.

If this is the road all AAA games follow, AAA gaming will die; and love it or hate it - AAA studios are the backbone of gaming.

Soldato
Right, so to explain to those wondering why the game gets so much hate... It's not necessarily down to being a terrible game, you're allowed to have fun with and enjoy it. The issue people take with it is what the game represents, it is objectively an attempt to cash in on the Fallout brand with minor effort on Bethesda's behalf in order to get in on the microtransactions phenomena. It's also objectively the worst game Bethesda have made (doesn't mean it HAS to be a bad game), and could set the precedence on how Bethesda approach future titles. You do not want Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 to come out anything like Fallout 76 regardless of how much you're enjoying it, even if you think you do.

If this is the road all AAA games follow, AAA gaming will die; and love it or hate it - AAA studios are the backbone of gaming.

100% this, but I think you might be too late to convince the majority in this thread (makes sense - most people who come into a thread do it to hype the game and validate each other's buying decisions with defenses/excuses at the ready for any suggestion against that)

Soldato
100% this, but I think you might be too late to convince the majority in this thread (makes sense - most people who come into a thread do it to hype the game and validate each other's buying decisions with defenses/excuses at the ready for any suggestion against that)
If someone says they are having fun in the game, is that an excuse/defense or an opinion?

Soldato
@AWPC not sure what happened there - was that you saying goodbye? :D

You turned invisible and was saying follow me but I couldn't see you go anywhere. Thought I'd log out and join again, but you'd then gone.

Soldato

You are absolutely right. The time for slating the game in this thread is gone. People who jump in the thread to put the game down are compairable to granny saying dumb things at xmas dinner. This thread is now for those who are enjoying the game anything else is just baiting.

Back
Top Bottom