Do you run an AdBlocker?

Kinda related - is there a way of muting the "this site uses cookies"-type messages? The whole GDPR exercise was counter-productive imo as all it achieved for us is more cookie notices. It's particularly annoying on Wordpress because I have to click away the message not just once for the Wordpress domain, but for every different blogger / subdomain that I access!

For Firefox if possible please, but will happily take Greasemonkey scripts as well and anything that is cross platform.

Permabanned
I use Firefox because afaik it's the only mainstream browser where your adblock and privacy settings also work in the Android version.

I use:
- ublock Origin: blocks adverts and whatever else
- Settings>Privacy>Trackers: block trackers always
- DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials: redirects to https when available (like HttpsEverywhere), also provides a privacy rating on the toolbar icon, also blocks trackers (but I've configured Firefox to do that so that's not why I have it, it's the same blocklist)
- Advanced Setting: First Party Isolation (FPI) enabled. Info: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...-makes-it-into-firefox-first-party-isolation/
- DuckDuckGo as my search engine
- https://start.duckduckgo.com/ as my homepage

Last edited:
Soldato
all it achieved for us is more cookie notices.

Yep GDPR is complete BS, it protects the data miners not us.

Basically, cookies have potential to allow harvesting tonnes of data. They saw it as a money making/data harvesting opportunity. But the problem is that the cookies are designed to make websites work, not for data mining.

So if they started data mining on standard cookie data people would sue them, so they make people explicitly accept that their cookie data can be used for data mining.

Permabanned
I tried to use the internets without an ad-blocker after a fresh install on another laptop, and it was basically totally unusable.

I went onto the DailyFail, and it was so REAMED with ads everywhere, a quad Xeon and Nvidia Quadro couldnt make the page respond in a timely manner.

What an absolute cluster, when will these people learn that the more intrusive and inconvienent they make ads, the more the internets will just block them completely. lol

Permabanned
uBlock Origin is always running. And any sites that refuse to open unless you turn it off can suck the big one.

100%.. Any site that prompts and says "we see you are running an ad-blocker blah blah" just gets insta erased and I never visit again. Life is way too short!!

I must add my recommendation of Ghostery, what it blocks is truly frightening. I use that in combination with U-block, and as an example, I loaded up DailyMail.co.uk....

Ublock=38 Elements blocked
Ghostery=24 Blocked.

EVERY time you visit!

Madness.

Soldato
Just as an experiment, I tried running with no ad blocker for a while.

The result was an almost unusable internet.

So much crap, such a long time to load pages etc.

LESS IS MORE YOU NUMPTIES!

This is my issue, because i live in a rural location, my internet is limited to 120gb per month, i don't want to use half of it waiting for ads to load. I use an adblocker, yes.

Another thing i find really find annoying is the latest captcha things to prove you're not a robot, the pics are tiny sometimes and you have to really squint to see if there's a bike in the distance on the image. Last week i was trying to log on to my GTAV account and it took literally 2 minutes of clicking pictures to prove i wasn't a robot!

Man of Honour
I use NoScript, which is security software. As a side effect, it blocks most ads because most ads are served in an insecure way. It also lets you know how many different sources are set to run scripts from each page, which can be interesting. It's not uncommon for 1 page to result in scripts run from a couple of dozen sources, with other sources calling other sources, etc. It blocks cross-site scripting. I find it very useful. Some sites won't work with it, so I don't use them.

I use Pale Moon browser because it doesn't use telemetry and they're removing any telemetry code they find (it's based on FireFox, so there was quite a bit of it to begin with).

I use DuckDuckGo because it's a search engine that returns honest results, unlike Google which is a data gathering engine that also does searches and deliberately biases the results to feed you into an echo chamber.

Nothing major, just some very basic security and privacy stuff.

I allow ads if they're not blocked by NoScript for security reasons. Mainly YouTube. I'll accept being advertised to a reasonable extent at as the price I pay for content.

Soldato
Another thing i find really find annoying is the latest captcha things to prove you're not a robot, the pics are tiny sometimes and you have to really squint to see if there's a bike in the distance on the image. Last week i was trying to log on to my GTAV account and it took literally 2 minutes of clicking pictures to prove i wasn't a robot!

Proving you're not a robot isn't the only purpose of those "captchas".

They are using you to mark items in StreetView without getting paid for it and also assist in AI development without getting paid, the ceo of that company doesn't want to be paying someone to do it because it means he gets to keep an extra £30,000 a year for his private treasure horde.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
Last time this came up no one could help. Can anyone now.
Any app that can Adblock YouTube app and ör chrome browser on a mobile device, or do I have to use 3rd party apps for YouTube and another browser?

Phone is a p20 pro.

Soldato
What I really want is a GDPR pop-up blocker or one that auto declines.

I'm fed up of visiting sites and reject all but the basic one and then it pops up multiple times on the same visit and with each new visit.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Kinda related - is there a way of muting the "this site uses cookies"-type messages? The whole GDPR exercise was counter-productive imo as all it achieved for us is more cookie notices. It's particularly annoying on Wordpress because I have to click away the message not just once for the Wordpress domain, but for every different blogger / subdomain that I access!

For Firefox if possible please, but will happily take Greasemonkey scripts as well and anything that is cross platform.

I already posted this :p

https://www.i-dont-care-about-cookies.eu/

Back
Top Bottom