Mountaineering - A novice goal to 8k

Don
Get to your local Craigdon OP, they’ll do a proper fitting service for boots and custom feet inserts if you want.

Similar to the above I’ve got wide feet and wear the Salomon 4D GTX boots as well. Super comfy with Super Feet custom insoles. Can happily do 12 hour hikes in them.

Soldato
Well that's a double recommendation for Salomons so I'll keep an eye on that model in January sales. Their trail trainers tend to be quite narrow and pair of hiking shoes I got from them recently was also very narrow but they look ok in the picture.

No real need for boots at the moment until at least late January when I'll be trying more challenging trails. Another alternative I've been looking at is Altberg boots, tend to be quite well regarded as a brand and lots of military Defender models on eBay, they do a wide fit too bit a case of catching one for a group price.

Soldato
No real need for boots at the moment until at least late January when I'll be trying more challenging trails.

I'd just stick with the trail runners, I wear a pair of Innov8s for most of the year unless I need to wear crampons or it's tipping it down and cold. Your feet will thank you for it! I've used them for everything from a traverse of the Rhinogau to easy vdiff climbs.

Soldato
I'd just stick with the trail runners
largely agree, but I have not done large scree slope decents in them (like you can find in dolomites) where you can just ride the wave in boots ?

edit : forgot to say .. if you are based in Perth then you have solved half the problem, proximity, compared to us Southerners.

Soldato
As above, until you are putting on crampons or wading through snow then use trial running shoes.
I just cant agree with that, so many walks i do where you go through boggy sections and or streams where some good boots are a god send and shoes would leave my feet sopping wet.

Soldato
I at least need something with Gore-Tex at the moment, been raining for a while so my feet were soaked within 2 miles yesterday on my usual trail. Planned to do Snowdon the other day in April with some friends and would definitely like to find a pair of boots for that.

Done Ben Nevis and Scafell the previous years and ankle support was definitely appreciated. Unfortunately those boots (Converse C8896 in wide fit) went missing while in storage in a hotel. Haven't been able to find a replacement in my size but at least some unscrupulous individual out there has happy feet :p

Don
If you plan on doing Munros you’ll need boots as there is plenty walking over rough ground, boulder fields, loose scree and through bogs/wetlands and you’ll want the extra protection.

Caporegime
Has anyone climbed Stromboli or do you need special access to do so ?

Any particular reason for Stromboli? Not sure about that but Etna is usually open and is a nice hike, especially if you know where you’re going, but just to the cones at the very top is good.

largely agree, but I have not done large scree slope decents in them (like you can find in dolomites) where you can just ride the wave in boots ?

edit : forgot to say .. if you are based in Perth then you have solved half the problem, proximity, compared to us Southerners.

Gaiters solve that issue. You can get ones designed for shoes and they work in stopping the scree falling into the top.

I just cant agree with that, so many walks i do where you go through boggy sections and or streams where some good boots are a god send and shoes would leave my feet sopping wet.

That’s where those Salomon boots can come in handy. No need for heavy leather boots. Trail runners also have goretex versions which are waterproof. Obviously one system is not the solution to everything, but if you know there’s not likely to be wet buts trail runners are by far the best option.

Soldato
So funnily enough someone listened to my woes and got me a pair of Karrimor Aspen shoes in low format for Christmas, fit me like an absolute glove so over the moon! Not the most expensive things and probably won't last long but have a Vibram sole so can't be that bad, will test them out tomorrow.

Means I've a few good months to find that perfect pair of boots as now also doing Iceland in early March but that's just general walking about in the snow.

Salomon 4D 3 GTX can actually be had for under £100 with a student discount from Sport Shoes at the moment, but they don't have size 11 in stock (10.5 or 11.5). Anyone ordered from them before and know what they return policy is like in case they don't fit?

Associate
Go out and do hills, starting Munros for you would be Mayar and Driesh. Don't worry about boots, there are lots of ways to skin that particular cat and the best way is to try out a few different schools of thought* over a couple of years. Once you've worn your new karrimors out, try something totally different or pick up 2nd hand if a bargain presents itself on fb.
I really think folk get way too excited about the high peaks like the himalayas, there's plenty of adventure to be had in the Scottish Highlands. Some of my favourite hills are Dumyat, the Cobbler and Ben An.
Walkhighands is your friend, pick a route, get map from the library and off you go. If you have a look around, you might find your Council run subsidised skills courses like nav or winter skills days, I know Falkirk council do. Other than that, you can't go wrong with a week at Glenmore Lodge. Otherwise, sign yourself up to various day courses and possibly make yourself some new hill buddies.

*I've tried leather boots, synthetic boots, now I'm on La Sportiva TX4 which are a mid height very light shoe that stops pebbles or splashes of water going over the top. Imo ankle support is overrated, most of the time I've had ankle trouble such as rolling (and falling over), it's been at the end of the day from getting damn tired carrying bricks around on my feet. Maybe I'd feel different if my summer walking was long distance trekking but most of the time I prefer just having my shoes as light as possible.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not even the OP but seems to have taken over with my boot talk so I'll just shut up about them now :p

But yeah I just want ankle support for those long walks on more challenging terrain when concentration can drop with exhaustion so I don't roll an ankle. Had two very bad sprains on my right ankle and it can niggle sometimes. Really don't fancy a third one and remember having a small tumble going down Ben Nevis few years back. Just laughed it off but know I would have rolled my ankle bad, had I not been wearing full height military style boots.

When I did the Hadrian Wall walk summer before last, bar 2 miles of it when I got my feet wet in a muddy field, I completed the whole thing in a pair of Asics trainers so it's definitely a good idea to keep a pair of light footwear alongside the boots.

I'm based in Tyne and Wear so unfortunately don't quite have access to Scottish Highlands without overnight stay but Lake District isn't too far away.

Associate
I and all my pals would recommend the 4Ds as well. Two of us have even bought a second pair when the first pair was done.

Look after them and they should last a reasonable amount of time/miles.

Soldato
Salomon 4D 3 GTX can actually be had for under £100 with a student discount from Sport Shoes at the moment, but they don't have size 11 in stock (10.5 or 11.5). Anyone ordered from them before and know what they return policy is like in case they don't fit?

The missus has bought some stuff from them and returned things to them with no probs.

I'm based in Tyne and Wear so unfortunately don't quite have access to Scottish Highlands without overnight stay but Lake District isn't too far away.

That's no excuse! :p I've driven up to Fort William from Liverpool before for single day hits over winter to catch the conditions!

Back
Top Bottom