I got me 3D printer, awesome!

Man of Honour
Any chance of a picture of the carnage ?

I have had that happen a couple of times when the bed gets a certain amount out of level, and the bed leveling cant compensate. I would check everything around your Z axis is tight and there is no slop/backlash , then reset your bed leveling and run though a manual level with the slidey paper method. Also , apologies of this is teaching you to suck eggs , but make sure the bed has been up to temperature for at least 5 minutes before leveling.

Associate
Finally got round to putting my Ender 3 together last night and printed the calibration cube which came out really well for a first attempt.

Had bought the stepper dampers but the pulleys are push fit now so cant use them but didnt think it was that loud really anyway.

Can start printing off the modifications tonight :)

Associate
Ah I was thinking about swapping to a ramps setup a while back. I guess it's not too complicated to switch over? Those drivers seem quite pricey though

What board you currently running? The board I'm using is actually out of an official Arduino printer (not sold any more) so it's spec'd as per the original design and sitting on top of an official Arduino Mega too. The TMC2130's are pricey but you can get clones of the PCB from China for about £20 all soldered and with a cable harness too.

J.

Soldato
Not really 3D printer related but I've just bought a denford cnc milling machine to accompany my printer collection. It was a machine I used as a student back in 1999 and it's still in amazing condition.

b08YH0I.jpg

Caporegime
I've been going back and forth on this for weeks now, but I finally bit the bullet tonight and ordered a Prusa i3 MK3, a kilo of Prusament Galaxy Black and a kilo of Prusament Jet Black PETG.

Such a lot of money (for me, I know you can spend 10x this on a 3d printer) but I've really been looking into it and it seems like a really consistent, reliable machine, with really good preset profiles, and the design in general seems so well thought out to me and also like it will eliminate so many of the things that wind me up about my Ender 3.

I think the Ender 3 is amazing for the money and I've had some really good prints out of it and learnt a lot but I just spend too much time tinkering with and improving it, and my scraps bin is just way too full.

I'm so excited, doubt I'll see it til the New Year but I can't wait.

Mine has been fab. It has only failed one print after the first layer is good.
I had to lower the nozzle significantly after calibration. - 0.8!

But it's exceeded my expectations. 0.1mm layers print so well. I don't know how good the cheaper popular ones are but more than happy with my purchase

Caporegime
Had anyone else had stringing issues? One of my third party reels is 'wood' and I get horrible stringing. I'm going to try to lower the nozzle temp. Any other options?

Man of Honour
Had anyone else had stringing issues? One of my third party reels is 'wood' and I get horrible stringing. I'm going to try to lower the nozzle temp. Any other options?

I've usually found print/travel speed has more impact on that than temperature - also seems to happen more at draft settings versus fine layer sizes. I've been printing wood stuff fine at 210-215C at 0.1 layer.

Caporegime
Are extruding the right amount of filament?

Not sure. It looks the right amount. The prints look good besides the stringing. It looks too 'sticky' if that makes any sense.

Could you provide me a link to what filament you use for Wood?

In fact this would be a resource. Trying to. Source decent filament is so difficult. I wish prusa had a cheaper shipping option as their stuff is cheap and prints fantastic

Soldato
Not sure. It looks the right amount. The prints look good besides the stringing. It looks too 'sticky' if that makes any sense.

Could you provide me a link to what filament you use for Wood?

In fact this would be a resource. Trying to. Source decent filament is so difficult. I wish prusa had a cheaper shipping option as their stuff is cheap and prints fantastic

I don't use the wood filament. I use flexi more.

Where the filament goes in to your extruder. Measure 120mm. Then extrude 100mm
Then re-measure to see how much you have extruded. If it's near enough 100 your good to go.

What hotend are you using? and have you got a picture of the stringy bit? Maybe lower the temps.
It should say where you bought the filament what temp to use.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:22263 that's good for testing. But use cheap filament :)

Caporegime
I don't use the wood filament. I use flexi more.

Where the filament goes in to your extruder. Measure 120mm. Then extrude 100mm
Then re-measure to see how much you have extruded. If it's near enough 100 your good to go.

What hotend are you using? and have you got a picture of the stringy bit? Maybe lower the temps.
It should say where you bought the filament what temp to use.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:22263 that's good for testing. But use cheap filament :)
It's printing right now.
Whatever hot end came with my mk3

I've lowered the temps far as I can. 197. If I go to 190 it basically looks like a rough texture with not enough material

Ive increased the retraction from 0.8 to 1. Ive
slowed the speed to 170 (not sure if it is the right setting) and retraction speed to 55 (from 40)

It's much better than it was. The strands are super thin now and much fewer

Apart from the stringing the print looks excellent
1djyufl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom