OcUK Staff
Hi there

First of all wishing you a Merry Christmas, crazy to think its next week!
Second hope you all had a fantastic 2018 and best wishes for 2019, its just a couple of weeks away. :eek:

So for us lot motoring, car plans it never ends, so what are peoples plans for their cars, motoring trips and anything else car related for 2019?

For myself, its easy to sum it up:

SVR: Pay it off Q1 next year, makes sense to save the interest, sit on the car and maybe advertise it for sale but at a high price, so if someone comes along it would be a little silly to not let it go. Or just keep it, I did consider just going wild, 700HP and pull as much weight as I can out, but it would massively de-value it and spoil it I feel. Then simply watch the values of other cars. Santa Pod in Feb, see if I can get that 10s pass, set of Cup 2's on the other wheels, take it to Donnington for a track day and keep Cup 2's on for Summer months. As always some road trips, again Summer. Get a video review done with @JayEmm

M3: Second set of wheels arrived (Apex Arc 8) in black chrome, same make as current ones, slightly different style and they've got new AD08R's on, once warn shall try AR1's. Get some track days in, Donnington, Bedford, Oulton Park to name a few. Set of new seats, Recaro or Sparco and maybe a wrap in an orange or green but I can't decide and then my own in-decision puts me off.

Clio: Nothing, leave it parked, use it once a month and maybe just one track day next year, say Oulton Park where a smaller lighter car always works well.

Next car: The next car is a tough choice for me, the SVR is kind of better than I expected and I feel there is no exact replacement for it. Its rear driven biased AWD system so it feels involving but very capable. I like dirty ugly and loud, the SVR ticks all those boxes, it always gets a crowd of people around it and people love it, British super/sports car and all that. Its comfy, its bonkers quick, pretty much 3s flat every time you hoof it from a set of lights even in the wet, not many cars can do that and make it so easy and accessible, its never lost traffic light grand prix. Its the first auto that never made me feel I need dual clutch, its bloody fantastic, all I would maybe like is more of an inertia push in high gears. Handling and grip are fantastic, brakes are good now but not 911/Cayman or proper lighter sports car good, its where you can feel its a 1650-1700kg beast, but acceleration and handling wise it feels more 1500kg, feels massively over-engined and has torque everywhere with instant throttle response, it can do skids, donuts and is ultimately so user friendly all year round, it cost peanuts to run and its been reliable, keeps fingers crossed. So you can see its one bloody fantastic car, great all rounder.

Thus the decision of where to go next is so difficult because no one car can offer everything the SVR does but each can pip the SVR in some area, but can then fall massively short in others.

But in short my next car short list for 2019 will be mostly likely a 570S, GT3 or 458, in that order. I feel if I sold SVR now or early next year I'd get 75k for it (5k loss in a year), if I keep it another 6-9 months I will probably get circa 65-70k, or maybe more, its rarity and spec really helps hold its value. However if I purchased a 570S now, even if I got the car I want spec/colour wise I am still looking at 100-110k (advertised 125-140k), but I feel same car 6-9 months will be 75-90k, thats a 20-30k saving over buying now, that cannot be dismissed. 570S is favourite, is so British supercar, only real downsides are noise, after support from Mclaren and fact RWD means it won't have that off the line traction in wet.

GT3, don't need to talk about this, its kind of a dream, shall probably try to get in a 991.2. :)

458 wild card, love them, but older, more running cost and your that guy in a Ferrari.

So what about the rest of you, I know several of you are also watching the market for next purchase or have plans for next years travels and track days. :)

Soldato
Hopefully get the MGB back on the road, and keep the Disco going too :D

Also need to reassemble C5, and replace wiring loom/electronics, fresh tyres and inner tubes.

Caporegime
Enjoy the porsche some more. Really do love it and it's not even one of their more focussed models.
Toying with the idea of a wrap/respray as although I think white works on it as a car im still not a lover of white cars.
Also need to figure out a storage solution for it as it won't fit in my garage and I can't extend sideways.

Soldato
Enjoy the M140i for the year, and hopefully give it a couple of Scotland and European roadtrips. No mods planned yet...

Continue to enjoy the F56 Cooper S (Mrs Wingman's motor). We're in strong positive equity on that car now so I'm in no rush to move it on until she tells me she wants something else, so we'll keep that for 2019 no doubt.

Also would be nice if I could shift my broken E39. I think I'm up to eBayer No.6 who has let me down now. I've been offered £177 scrap for it which is becoming a consideration (it's sat on my folks drive, so it's more of a convenience sale than a financial one).

Will hopefully squeeze in a few motors trips, the annual BMW show in Gaydon, monthly Bristol Queen Square meets, I bought my dad a supercar track afternoon and he's keen to go in the Spring so I'll undoubtedly join him in that endevour, and I'd love to try the a drift day or something (a Caterham experience sounds fun).

Soldato
I’m probably going to keep breaking expensive things in stupid ways like I have this past couple of months. I’m going to get to the point where I’ve replaced every single part with a new one and effectively have a brand new car.

Man of Honour
Who knows. This time last year I was just starting my journey towards death, which luckily I managed to avert at the 11th hour, a lucky fluke during my hospitalisation meaning we could grab the problem and manage it. So I am now more aware than ever of one life etc and living for today is vital.....so yea, probably another Polo GTI.

Soldato
Merry christmas to you too Andy.

Will be ordering the new GT4. Perhaps I’ll get lucky and see my 812 this coming year too, but who knows.

That and I’m sure 2019 will consist of many discussions with you about choosing your new car ;)

Soldato
Another season of sprinting the MR2 (Mk1) for me and also timing the Javelin series (Thats 15 weekends accounted for already!)
Would like to go to Spa with Javelin again as several of the sprinters are going and it has potential to be a good trip but I'm not sure the timing is going to be workable.
This years plan was to swap the wifes MR2 (Mk3) for a GT86 but we went and bought a house instead. Depending on how finances shake out that might still be on the cards for this year.
Will hopefully make some more progress getting my new garage how I want it, might even find time to actually work on the car too!
Volvo is starting to get on a bit, don't really want to have to replace it as it'd defintely mean no GT86 but will keep an eye on the offers available through work in case a no-brainer V90 deal comes up.

OcUK Staff
OP
Merry christmas to you too Andy.

Will be ordering the new GT4. Perhaps I’ll get lucky and see my 812 this coming year too, but who knows.

That and I’m sure 2019 will consist of many discussions with you about choosing your new car ;)

Am sure, once I get some proper seat time on the UK roads in said options I will have a better viewed, right now I've only driven the GT3 both road and track. 570S not had a go, but have been in a 600LT stupidly enough and even that sounded a bit flat to me. 458 not been in or driven! Whatever I buy it shall only be from main dealer so with main dealer warranty to rule out any crippling bills from expensive failures.

Caporegime
Sort out a few minor bubbles that have appeared on the arches (near side only for some reason) get around to fixing the dash pixels (bought the kit from AK Speedo months ago but never got time to do it)

Decide if I keep it or not, still absolutely love it but the sensible part of me is thinking of something newer - so I’ll probably end up with the beautiful 33year old Mk2 2.8i Granada Ghia x that I know of... :eek: :D

Soldato
2019 is just going to be a year of stop wasting money especially on food so big diet coming my way and saving, So i'll return for the Motoring plans 2020 thread where hopefully i'll have a nice healthy chunk of cash to get a decent performance car and also be a little bit fitter and not look like someone is trying to stuff the michelin man into an E85 Z4 :D

Soldato
Who knows. This time last year I was just starting my journey towards death, which luckily I managed to avert at the 11th hour, a lucky fluke during my hospitalisation meaning we could grab the problem and manage it. So I am now more aware than ever of one life etc and living for today is vital.....so yea, probably another Polo GTI.

sorry to laugh at this and at no way is it towards your health as I am glad everything is all ok...was not expecting the last part

Soldato
I'm stuck between a sensible rock and an itchy hard place at the moment so not sure what 2019 will bring motoring wise.

We have another crazy child on the way so it's fairly likely the fiesta will be changed for a focus or similar. I will have had mine a couple of years in March/April and I'm half tempted by either something like a BBR MK3 mx-5 or a 2zz/turbo'd MK3 MR2, either of which would mean I would need some cash from mine to fund the fun car so would end up with a couple of £k estate to go with the new one.

On the other hand a reasonably quick, reasonably sized MK3 focus ST estate seems like exactly the right car to have at this point in time (hey when did logic matter) so it is probably more likely to stay than not. If so I'll get the wheels refurbed and think about making it sound a little bit better, but I won't be spending more than a few hundred on it outside of routine maintenance

Caporegime
Will be keeping a close eye on new Discovery prices, if they take a dive following poor sales in the Chinese market we might chop the Discovery Sport in for one, very much enjoying the Evoque so that is staying for a minimum of 3 years.

2019 might be the year i get my first Aston, we shall see, depends if we decide to buy another rental since that takes priority at the moment over sports cars.

Back
Top Bottom