• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will you be buying an RTX TITAN ?

Man of Honour
For what it's worth.

Seems like he doesn't like it

"So the main difference between them is that this one is gold"

Some of his benchmarks are total garbage.

Check out the Super Position ones, it looks like he has got the 4k and 1080p presets the wrong way round.

Some of the scores on the other benches don't make sense either, 1440p does not look right at all compared to the other resolutions.

Associate
Not really the RTX Titan is not aimed at gamers.
I thought this when they first announced it, this one makes more sense than most of them. This is a card that they can farm out to all the small and medium game studios so that they can use them to develop games using RT and DLSS so by the time the next gen comes around there are a bunch of games that can use them. But who knows what NVidia are actually thinking :rolleyes:

Associate
Some of his benchmarks are total garbage.

Check out the Super Position ones, it looks like he has got the 4k and 1080p presets the wrong way round.

Some of the scores on the other benches don't make sense either, 1440p does not look right at all compared to the other resolutions.

I don't trust him at all. He made reference to gpuboss when comparing cards previously..

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/79z16h/jayztwocents_uses_gpuboss_to_compare_graphics/

Associate
Given that there is a fair amount of talk in this thread about the mental illness required to buy one of these things, I thought I'd post a little something from my perspective, as someone who has the Digital River truck trundling its way over today.

It's definitely not value for money. I'm expecting 10-15% at best over a 2080Ti, and I'm still not sure whether an RTX Titan with a TDP of 280W (let's assume ~330W overclocked) can beat a 2080Ti with a 366W limit (or 380W when flashed with the Galax bios).

But Titans have never been cheap and despite using them primarily for gaming, I feel I've got my money's worth.

For example, although I play a lot of titles with my group, my main game over the last decade or so has been Eve Online, which I've played very competitively while leading the group Rooks and Kings. Now, Eve Online, the spreadsheet game, I hear you say? Surely that runs on a pocket calculator? And to some extent, yes, it does.

But in 2014, for example, I had SLI Titans and captured 4K footage of what was then the biggest 'battle' in any MMO game to that point. Despite thousands of players being on grid, this was only the recording made of the event in maximum detail and at high resolution (that link is downscaled due to the initial demands of filesize upload at the time). Video memory usage was intense and this is what scenes like that look like in 4K with the HUD on. Pretty much of all the Titan's VRAM was put to use. And 6GB had seemed like an absurd amount back in early 2014 for the GTX Titan or likewise 12Gb in 2015 for the TitanX.

In a situation like that, since it's an emergent event, there is no "second chance" to witness and record something in extreme detail if your performance isn't right the first time. You can't decide your fps in Witcher 3 is low and it's time to upgrade. You can't even change settings - which could crash the client once the battle is underway and put you in a 3-4 hour queue to reconnect! It has to be right first time.

If I wasn't using Titans that day the footage wouldn't exist. This year the Victoria and Albert Museum asked to use that footage - and it's a moment time captured partly due to absurd hardware.

The situation repeated itself with a 3xTitanX setup I had for the Maxwell Titan and the TitanX Pascal and TitanXp have all also proved useful.

Which is another thing: in a game like Eve, you can spend countless hours planning operations against other players group, and some of our tactics actually hinged on having superior hardware such as better SSDs for faster grid load time, or being able to keep "brackets on" in large battles (informational boxes usually disabled by players to reduce lag) and thus leave them blind to vital information that we could still see.

Titans also age well - I've given out every Titan I've owned to people in Rooks and Kings and 1) they've been incredibly reliable 2) the excessive VRAM has made them viable much longer than others cards of their given era.

So whilst the RTX Titan doesn't look "worth it" I've pondered that about the rest of the Titan line in the past, too. And yet those cards have allowed me to do a lot even within the sphere of gaming.

I think it's easy for people to get into the mindset of looking at line graphics of canned benchmarks in AAA titles: 5 more frames per second Final Fantasy, 10% more in GTAV, a bit of gain in the Hitman2 benchmark, and so on. Often the needs of extreme hardware in gaming are different: to capture unpredictable or extreme scenarios in MMOs, of which you may have only one opportunity. To run vastly modded Arma servers with crazy settings. To have extreme simulation setups. And whatever else. All that is gaming, too.

I absolutely agree that the RTX Titan (and indeed the entire RTX line) has some rather questionable pricing and the promise of ray traced gaming remains just a glint on the horizon for people who value high framerates at high refresh rates. But as an enthusiast, I do want to suggest that extreme hardware does have use cases in gaming and in our virtual lives. And to reiterate what Kaapstad said, cutting-edge technology is fascinating. 200Mhz Pentium Pros weren't cheap either. Yet people throw money at things in life that, in my opinion, offer less tangible benefits than our choice of poison.

Last edited:
Soldato
Given that there is a fair amount of talk in this thread about the mental illness required to buy one of these things, I thought I'd post a little something from my perspective, as someone who has the Digital River truck trundling its way over today.

It's definitely not value for money. I'm expecting 10-15% at best over a 2080Ti, and I'm still not sure whether an RTX Titan with a TDP of 280W (let's assume ~330W overclocked) can beat a 2080Ti with a 366W limit (or 380W when flashed with the Galax bios).

But Titans have never been cheap and despite using them primarily for gaming, I feel I've got my money's worth.

For example, although I play a lot of titles with my group, my main game over the last decade or so has been Eve Online, which I've played very competitively while leading the group Rooks and Kings. Now, Eve Online, the spreadsheet game, I hear you say? Surely that runs on a pocket calculator? And to some extent, yes, it does.

But in 2014, for example, I had SLI Titans and captured 4K footage of what was then the biggest 'battle' in any MMO game to that point. Despite thousands of players being on grid, this was only the recording made of the event in maximum detail and at high resolution (that link is downscaled due to the initial demands of filesize upload at the time). Video memory usage was intense and this is what scenes like that look like in 4K with the HUD on. Pretty much of all the then-Titan's 6GB of VRAM was put to use. And 6GB had seemed like an absurd amount back in early 2014.

In a situation like that, since it's an emergent event, there is no "second chance" to witness and record something in extreme detail if your performance isn't right the first time. You can't decide your fps in Witcher 3 is low and it's time to upgrade. You can't even change settings - which could crash the client once the battle is underway and put you in a 3-4 hour queue to reconnect! It has to be right first time.

If I wasn't using Titans that day the footage wouldn't exist. This year the Victoria and Albert Museum asked to use that footage - and it's a moment time captured partly due to absurd hardware.

The situation repeated itself with a 3xTitanX setup I had for the Maxwell Titan and the TitanX Pascal and TitanXp have all also proved useful.

Which is another thing: in a game like Eve, you can spend countless hours planning operations against other players group, and some of our tactics actually hinged on having superior hardware such as better SSDs for faster grid load time, or being able to keep "brackets on" in large battles (informational boxes usually disabled by players to reduce lag) and thus leave them blind to vital information that we could still see.

Titans also age well - I've given out every Titan I've owned to people in Rooks and Kings and 1) they've been incredibly reliable 2) the excessive VRAM has made them viable much longer than others cards of their given era.

So whilst the RTX Titan doesn't look "worth it" I've pondered that about the rest of the Titan line in the past, too. And yet those cards have allowed me to do a lot even within the sphere of gaming.

I think it's easy for people to get into the mindset of looking at line graphics of canned benchmarks in AAA titles: 5 more frames per second Final Fantasy, 10% more in GTAV, a bit of gain in the Hitman2 benchmark, and so on. Often the needs of extreme hardware in gaming are different: to capture unpredictable or extreme scenarios in MMOs, of which you may have only one opportunity. To run vastly modded Arma servers with crazy settings. To have extreme simulation setups. And whatever else. All that is gaming, too.

I absolutely agree that the RTX Titan (and indeed the entire RTX line) has some rather questionable pricing and the promise of ray traced gaming remains just a glint on the horizon for people who value high framerates at high refresh rates. But as an enthusiast, I do want to suggest that extreme hardware does have use cases in gaming and in our virtual lives. And to reiterate what Kaapstad said, cutting-edge technology is fascinating. 200Mhz Pentium Pros weren't cheap either. Yet people throw money at things in life that, in my opinion, offer less tangible benefits than our choice of poison.

We're not talking about the past TITAN here, though. You can pick up a reference based 2080Ti for under £1,000, flash it to 380W TDP BIOS and potentially obtain the same, possibly more performance than you can within NVIDIA's power limits <on a TRX>

Coming from someone who historically throws money at things he probably shouldn't, this categorically isn't a purchase worth making. It just isn't, you simply shouldn't want this card for gaming based on its position right now.

Soldato
Titan is for those who have lots and lots money. None of the nvidia RTX range is for the people who actually like to play games based on there rediculous pricing. Nvidia almost have killed pc gaming for the masses with thier greed and my position will remain unchanged till they get something decent out for £350 that can max out games @1440p easily. Only Obi-one can save us now

Associate
We're not talking about the past TITAN here, though. You can pick up a reference based 2080Ti for under £1,000, flash it to 380W TDP BIOS and potentially obtain the same, possibly more performance than you can within NVIDIA's power limits.

Coming from someone who historically throws money at things he probably shouldn't, this categorically isn't a purchase worth making. It just isn't, you simply shouldn't want this card for gaming based on its position right now.

Fair point, and as I say, I think the TDP situation will likely be a problem here. But some aspects still remain - for example double the VRAM. And whilst 24GB VRAM sounds ridiculous now (aside from using larger datasets in AI training), my point is that having double the VRAM sounded ridiculous in 2014 or 2015 as well.

I absolutely wouldn't recommend a gamer buy this card and it may well end up not being the right card for me either - I'm just trying to explain the foundation of my mental illness and why I haven't been burned by a Titan yet :) Always a first time for everything, though.

Back
Top Bottom