*** The 2018 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
Speaking of squats. It’s been a while since I’ve done them, yesterday was my 2nd squat session in months. Haven’t consistently squatted in 4+ years. Trying to get my grove back while improving my mobility. Knees feeling OK at the moment.

Video (110kg).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JGUPQ8qUQf5LHLjz5

Weight this morning is 78.3kg.

Currently I've been trying to bring some structure back to my training so lifts at the moment are:

Bench 95x5x5
Deadlift 120x5x3
OHP 55x5x5
Squat 110x5x3

Next week:

Bench 100x5x5
Deadlift 130x5x3
OHP 57.5x5x5
Squat 120x5x3

Still got it. :cool:

I'm really enjoying front squatting at the minute, until I get the bar placement a little off and end up either choking myself mid rep or have it sitting right on a pressure point :eek:

Something about being a bit S&M with front squats. ;) I'm currently doing 12-10-10-8-8 on front squats because of damage to my shoulder... and - weirdly - it was my core that had the most DOMS first. :D

Soldato
Yeah that's what I don't like about the bar, locks my wrists and shoulders into a fixed position. That and dumbbells just feel like a more complete workout.

Only graduated to 38s this week and think I'll stick with them for next week too as have a bit of a niggle in my shoulder from previous injury. Hopefully can still hit 40 this year for reps.

I am taking form seriously with them as my last big injury involved me being a silly sod and popping something in my wrist while putting down a 42 without paying attention. Surprising how many things involve your wrist (sarcasm ;)) so that put me out of doing weights for some time!

Man of Honour
Funny moment when the trainer in my gym realised all the totals I had given him didn’t include the bar and was confused why I was referring to a light deload OHP of ‘35kg’.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
If I can get my mobility on track and my injuries don't flare I may look to start some 531 towards the end of Jan. I wouldn't mind getting back some of my old strength. I haven't tested my 1RM in some time (6 years) but I would hopefully get that done again towards end of Jan.

So I'm going to set some goals for 2019.

Squat: 180 (previous PB 220).
Bench: 140 (previous PB 160).
Deadlift: 200 (previous PB 255).

Keeping my BW around 80kg.

I feel like currently I'm capable of:

Squat: 140-150
Bench: 120-125
Deadlift: 160-170

Not bad considering I haven't done any strength programs in 6+ years.

Currently 78kg.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Had to join another gym last week. It's a lot smaller then my previous one with not quite as varied an amount of equipment, but I was getting sick of spending 10+ minutes queuing to use the damn cable stations. Was completely throwing my routine out of whack as I would just resign myself to other, less muscle specific equipment if I had to wait.

Can imagine most gyms are going to be hellish come January anyway :(

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
531 is decent. I wouldn’t bother with a 1RM. Go for a 3RM which I think with 531 equates to 90% of 1RM. Best way to avoid injury.

Yea I like 531 I did the program quite a lot back when I was power lifting.

I like a good 1RM. I've never (touch wood) caused an injury doing a 1RM, even in competitions when doing all 3 lifts for multiple 1RM.

Soldato
In for 2019 goals

Mine are start lifting once recovered from surgery, turns out my twinge from here https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/23212070/ never sorted its self out and turned out to be more then a twinge, nice 2-3 cm long tear in my abdominal aponeurosis my lower right side.

Once recovered keep it consistent, then hope to get to within 90% of previous max's. This all relies upon the surgery I had being successful and not flaring up again when I do start to lift again.

This would give me a 2019 goal for the big 3 of:

Squat: 150kg
Bench: 95kg
Deadlift: 155kg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
2019 goals? Re-start consistent lifting! :D

I'm not sure how my shoulder is going to play out (i.e. how long it will take to fully heal), so I have no idea when I will be lifting "properly" again (back squat, snatch, clean/jerk)… I'm going to see about getting back to big(ger) and getting some fun numbers on my FTP test. :cool: :D

Soldato
I've been thinking about incorporating something other than standard lifts into my workout recently.

Wasn't sure what sort of stuff to do until i decided to change up my weighted dips one session and use gymnast ring instead of the dip bars... LOL

Was shaking like crazy even without any weight just trying to stabilize myself. Felt inspired to really give the gymnast rings a go and learn to do a variety of things and really improve overall stability and control.

Soldato
My 2019 goals are to start warming up properly :D

Really just looking for a pretty major fat loss in 2019 now that I got into the habit of going to the gym with the 5x5 over last 2 months. I'll be in a calorie deficit from January so not going to be pushing the numbers too much on the big lifts.

Associate
I tried seated db press with 30's this morning which I should be able to do for at least 4 reps but after the second rep I couldn't stabilise the weight during the eccentric part of the movement. I had to drop the dumbbells as I thought I might do some damage to my shoulder yet I had no pain and strength wise I felt I was on track for 5 reps based on how easy the first two went up.

To illustrate the feeling, think of trying to balance a pen upright on your palm.

Anyone know what part of the shoulder I would need to strengthen? Or do I just need to get used to the heavier weight?

As for 2019 goals, same as 2018 - sort my diet out.

Man of Honour
I tried seated db press with 30's this morning which I should be able to do for at least 4 reps but after the second rep I couldn't stabilise the weight during the eccentric part of the movement. I had to drop the dumbbells as I thought I might do some damage to my shoulder yet I had no pain and strength wise I felt I was on track for 5 reps based on how easy the first two went up.

To illustrate the feeling, think of trying to balance a pen upright on your palm.

Anyone know what part of the shoulder I would need to strengthen? Or do I just need to get used to the heavier weight?

As for 2019 goals, same as 2018 - sort my diet out.

Drop the weight and do standing DB press. :)

In all seriousness, drop the weight and rep to 8-12 for a week and then revisit.

Back
Top Bottom