• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Permabanned
no worries mate, im the same 3840 x 1620 and 5120 x 2160

edit: for some reason the forum messed up my image and when upon removing the link, it was removed in the editor but still showing on the page even after a cache clear.. strange

edit 2: hopefully fixed..

Thanks for the pic, The new forum software is a bit looney, It sometimes takes me 3 or 4 goes to get a post right if it includes screenshots, copy/pastes & deletions etc, There's these funny little dots when copy/pasting from the AMD driver updates that the forum can't seem to see making them immune to deletions, I feel sorry for Kaap with all the bench threads to update, I did the Strange Brigade bench thread a couple of months back, never again. :D

Permabanned
Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 18.12.3 Highlights
Fixed Issues
  • Fan speed gauge in Radeon WattMan may sometimes overfill.
  • Memory clocks on Radeon RX Vega series graphics products may become locked at 800Mhz.
  • Game profiles with custom fan settings may sometimes remain even after closing a game.
  • The game streaming tab may be missing in Radeon Settings when Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition is installed twice on a system.
  • Radeon ReLive for VR may experience minor corruption for a few seconds immediately after connecting a headset.
  • Auto tuning controls are not displaying their warning message in Radeon Overlay.
  • Custom values for the sampling interval slider in the performance metrics feature may fail to enable.
  • Radeon Settings may sometimes list a previously installed driver version even after driver successfully upgrading.
  • Apply and Done buttons may sometimes overlap in Radeon Settings or Radeon Overlay.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-18-12-3

Hmm so no fixes for the actual issues then.

:D I rolled back to 18.12.1, With no VSR for 1440uw there's no reason for me to move up yet & it was a mess so I did a couple of bug reports and rolled back.

I'm curious, Does anyone know the difference in the Global Settings tab for Freesync, Either on or AMD optimized, What's the difference ?

I'm not sure I know where you mean? In the Radeon Settings/Display AMD's simply on or off for me

Associate
Thanks for the pic, The new forum software is a bit looney, It sometimes takes me 3 or 4 goes to get a post right if it includes screenshots, copy/pastes & deletions etc, There's these funny little dots when copy/pasting from the AMD driver updates that the forum can't seem to see making them immune to deletions, I feel sorry for Kaap with all the bench threads to update, I did the Strange Brigade bench thread a couple of months back, never again. :D
No problem, yea first time posting a pic on here and been reading 10plus years. Easier to host elsewhere and let them do the code. It's not like I'm not used to HTML or anything lol.

Soldato
Because the previous posted list for 18.12.3 is not complete

Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 18.12.3 Highlights
Fixed Issues

• Fan speed gauge in Radeon WattMan may sometimes overfill.
  • Memory clocks on Radeon RX Vega series graphics products may become locked at 800Mhz.
  • Game profiles with custom fan settings may sometimes remain even after closing a game.
  • The game streaming tab may be missing in Radeon Settings when Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition is installed twice on a system.
  • Radeon ReLive for VR may experience minor corruption for a few seconds immediately after connecting a headset.
  • Auto tuning controls are not displaying their warning message in Radeon Overlay.
  • Custom values for the sampling interval slider in the performance metrics feature may fail to enable.
  • Radeon Settings may sometimes list a previously installed driver version even after driver successfully upgrading.
  • Apply and Done buttons may sometimes overlap in Radeon Settings or Radeon Overlay.
Known Issues
  • Some systems running multiple displays may experience mouse lag when at least one display is enabled but powered off.
  • Uninstalling Radeon Software may fail to remove Radeon Settings.
  • Zero RPM may fail to enable/disable correctly when switching between manual and automatic fan controls.
  • Upgrade Advisor may intermittently fail to detect games and provide compatibility recommendations.
  • A port 58888 already in use error message may be observed when AMD Link Server was disabled while an IOS device client was connected.
  • Radeon Overlay’s new in overlay video player may experience smoothness issues while adjusting the playback slider.
  • Scene Editor may have issues with scrolling when many elements are added to a scene.
  • Custom settings in Radeon WattMan may sometimes fail to apply on Radeon RX Vega series graphics products.

Soldato
I submitted a bug report for slow and crash-causing alt-tab/alt-enter and won't be upgrading my drivers again until either I see something in the driver notes about it or it's been a good few months. I expect they'll fix the broken "Zero RPM" toggle fairly soon though.

Associate
I've abandoned this release and have returned to 18.12.1 now. I think Wattman in 18.12.2 is playing up causing weird artifacts, despite resetting to default - I resumed from sleep to see a garbled mess. Suffice to say I'm going to leave it a while.

I again had to go through the safe mode rigmarole - on checking Windows Update history it is butting in and trying to install a display driver from September 2017 which I think is unlikely to work with a Vega 56 - could explain the blank screens. Might see if I can disable driver updates via WU but pulling the network cable works for now!

Catching up on this thread - recent Windows 10 updates broke compatibility with older AMD drivers (and other things too) so its not just whether the driver itself supports the GPU. Of course Windows will try to install incompatible drivers, what else would you expect from Microsoft? They have no QA team.

Soldato
@LtMatt, has anyone reported the following behaviour of the 18.12.2.2 drivers?
If you have a game with custom profile, and the game crashes (ESO is unstable some times) on restart of the Windows 10, the AMD interface ignores completely the custom profile exists and is enabled. Even if launching the game directly from the drivers interfcace and the profile states is enabled.

Changing profile parameters, and launching from the drivers works, but after 15-20 minutes magically defaults to normal clocks (no min/max on P7) while the game is running.
The only way to fix this, is to delete the game profile and start new one.

Caporegime
OP
@LtMatt, has anyone reported the following behaviour of the 18.12.2.2 drivers?
If you have a game with custom profile, and the game crashes (ESO is unstable some times) on restart of the Windows 10, the AMD interface ignores completely the custom profile exists and is enabled. Even if launching the game directly from the drivers interfcace and the profile states is enabled.

Changing profile parameters, and launching from the drivers works, but after 15-20 minutes magically defaults to normal clocks (no min/max on P7) while the game is running.
The only way to fix this, is to delete the game profile and start new one.
I'll look into it, but i suspect this is expected to stop unstable settings being applied after a crash.
Another workaround is to toggle the histogram on, or you can try toggling it on and then off.

Associate
Keep getting a notification that a newer driver is available , currently installed 18.12.3 but it says 18.12.2 is recommended.
Is .3 knackered and they recommend downgrading.

Soldato
Keep getting a notification that a newer driver is available , currently installed 18.12.3 but it says 18.12.2 is recommended.
Is .3 knackered and they recommend downgrading.

Amd always recommended the latest WHQL driver. 18.12.2 is the latest stable WHQL signed driver so it's the recommended driver.
18.12.3 is the latest beta driver so is not recommended by Radeon settings.

Hope this helps the confusion.

Associate
It helps the confusion, it doesn't make it any less annoying though. The message is confusing since the beta *is* the latest driver, but by the sound of it not the latest *recommended* driver.

Associate
I installed the 18.2.3 driver and now Freesync no longer works :( the options turned off and greyed out... Back I go to the drivers before this current branch of fail :(

Associate
I installed the 18.2.3 driver and now Freesync no longer works :( the options turned off and greyed out... Back I go to the drivers before this current branch of fail :(

I know that doesn't help you, but it works just fine for me. It's probably just gone out of sync (no pun intended) with what the monitor supports, could try reconnecting it or things like that.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I keep getting system freezes with this latest driver, Have to hard reset to get back into windows, Doesn;t happen with the prior driver running a Vega 64.

Its a shame they ballsed this rollout as you would want a positive experience to make a statement that your software team is upping the game. It should have gone beta for a few versions but then again all things released these days are rushed. Who remembers getting floppy discs on magazines to update things, they were that rare because it usually was shipped in the box working properly in the first place!

Soldato
Its a shame they ballsed this rollout as you would want a positive experience to make a statement that your software team is upping the game. It should have gone beta for a few versions but then again all things released these days are rushed. Who remembers getting floppy discs on magazines to update things, they were that rare because it usually was shipped in the box working properly in the first place!

The actual main 2019 driver works great, It's the 18.12.3 optional that's borked for me.

Back
Top Bottom