Hugo Boss refused to offer refund

Associate
The other day I bought £300 worth of trousers at Hugo Boss in the sale at their store, turns out I didn't like the clothes so after a day I went to return them only to be told that on the receipt and on a tiny sign at the checkout it says sale items are exchange only. I have never experienced this in the UK let alone at a supposedly premium brand.

I went into the department store next door to return some Diesel items in the sale and they accepted, they are also a very large stockist of Hugo Boss and would accept returns of sale items within 7 days. At the Hugo Boss store I guess they make larger margins but offer worse consumer rights.

Eventually after looking like I'm going to lose it the staff at Hugo Boss did give me a refund.

Is this even legal? I have never been refused a refund on sale items and I hope it's not a trend coming onto the highstreet.

Soldato
Its a myth that shops have to give you a refund for clothes you simply dont want.

They actually don't at all. There is no law that dictates they have to, and its a goodwill gesture if they do.

Associate
It is my understanding that there is no right to return an unwanted in the UK if you are able to inspect the good first. Defective, damaged and unfit for purpose yes.
Nearly all retailers do it for customer happiness reasons.

Might be wrong i'm not a consumer law expert.

Caporegime
I don’t understand why you bought them in the first place. It’s not like they were bought online without a chance to see them in person.

Soldato
I don’t understand why you bought them in the first place. It’s not like they were bought online without a chance to see them in person.
this really, makes zero sense that you went into a store and bought clothes then 'realised' after that you didn't like them :confused:

turns out I didn't like the clothes
did your other half laugh at you when you put them on or something :p

Soldato
It's totally legal, indeed, but a brand like Hugo Boss, I feel, should be a little more lenient, as it implies not only confidence in the quality and fit of the clothing, but also makes the brand seem more "premium"

Soldato
The problem is, for premium brands especially, people tend towards those brands if they're suffering from sort of compulsive buying disorder or they're part of the Instagram trend for buying expensive clothes, taking a selfie to post online and then returning the clothes.

Associate
OP
I have always bought clothes then taken them home to see if I want them or not, that way you can get a second opinion and see what they look like out of a changing room. I imagine if you speak to most women they regularly take clothes back.

I will happily go on a shopping sprees at a store in the belief that I can take things back and more likely spend more money there. Pretty sure major retailers like H and M and Zara have a zero fuss returns policy.

For me, I won't buy from them out of principal any more.

Capodecina
Soldato
The other day I bought £300 worth of trousers at Hugo Boss in the sale at their store, turns out I didn't like the clothes . . .
LOL!

And yes, it sounds perfectly legal and entirely predictable.

Edit #1: OOPS, just seen that you suffer from Compulsive Capitalism Sucker Disorder - you have my sympathy but really should seek treatment.

Edit #2: "principal"? Say what?

Soldato
I have always bought clothes then taken them home to see if I want them or not, that way you can get a second opinion and see what they look like out of a changing room. I imagine if you speak to most women they regularly take clothes back.

I will happily go on a shopping sprees at a store in the belief that I can take things back and more likely spend more money there. Pretty sure major retailers like H and M and Zara have a zero fuss returns policy.

For me, I won't buy from them out of principal any more.

So are you a woman?

Associate
OP
So are you a woman?

No I'm not but I imagine if you speak to most women, which represent a large proportion of clothing shoppers, they return clothes quite often.

If you buy something from a quality retailer like John Lewis or M&S you expect to be able to return it no questions asked if the product is not used or damaged. My mother even returned something from IKEA which was in the damaged and marked down section. Policies like these make them retailers you are happy to spend your money at on a whim.

Soldato
Had debenhams try that on me but I'd bought online so different rules apply. Sports Direct are the worst though, no refunds and you have to pay them a click and collect fee to order in the correct size. Horrible horrible company.

Soldato
Had debenhams try that on me but I'd bought online so different rules apply. Sports Direct are the worst though, no refunds and you have to pay them a click and collect fee to order in the correct size. Horrible horrible company.

hardly their fault? you were too lazy to go to their store to try them in fitting room!

Soldato
Had the same thing the other day, wife bought some sale items and was told she couldn't return them, totally legal and actually common sense if you're a store. Stops people returning and buying again if the price is further reduced, limit the risk of getting the clothes back the day the sale ends and not being able to recoup, also the reduction in price means the cost of restocking is significantly higher in terms of proportion of value.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
really dont understand this

If I require an item of clothing, I go and try some on then buy the item I like most

if I like it I dont need a second opinion

Back
Top Bottom