GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
Just replace it. They’re no more than 30 quid from a dealer so you’ll be able to source one cheap. The bacteria will still be in the vents but should be nowhere near as bad after a new filter.

Good luck :)

Soldato
Just replace it. They’re no more than 30 quid from a dealer so you’ll be able to source one cheap. The bacteria will still be in the vents but should be nowhere near as bad after a new filter.

Good luck :)

Yeah ok I'll get a new one. Gonna take a drive to my local dealership tomorrow.

Soldato
Whilst taking out the old pollen filter I saw a Sigma keypad in the glove compartment. I was never told about this and don't think I have a code for it.

Do you have the original documentation for the car? Along with the manual, there's a booklet which details the alarm/immobiliser system. Attached to that there should be a PIN which you can enter on the keypad to disable the interior motion sensors and tilt sensors. Handy when boarding a ferry.
Some more info here: http://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/topic/2846-gt86-alarm-unit-programming-codes/

Soldato
Do you have the original documentation for the car? Along with the manual, there's a booklet which details the alarm/immobiliser system. Attached to that there should be a PIN which you can enter on the keypad to disable the interior motion sensors and tilt sensors. Handy when boarding a ferry.
Some more info here: http://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/topic/2846-gt86-alarm-unit-programming-codes/

Found it! There was a sticker with a 4 digit number in the alarm booklet. I was worried as I thought it was an aftermarket immobiliser that the dealership didn't know about.

Thanks for your help. This thread is a lifesaver!

Soldato
Not yet but I wouldn’t worry about it. Toyota still haven’t worked out how to do it themselves. There’s also lots of concerns about the level of modifications done, especially FI applications. The dealer I use is looking to do the majority of the work - Toyota are even on about sending cars to them, since they have the most experience on the 86 platform. It’s a real mess! :eek:

Soldato
There's still the possibility that they will go screw it and give effected cars new engines. If it looks like it's going to cost more in labour, plus the cost of training everyone and the risk of it going wrong :D

What's the cost price of an FA20?

Soldato
With a replacement engine would we get a refurbed MY12+ or a new MY17? When my gearbox was written off my replacement one had 7k more miles than the car. Not sure how I'd feel about them crating in refurbed engines which I won't know the history of after all this time.

I wouldn't even trust my local to do an engine swap out after the experience this summer of them trying to replace glass.

Associate
OP
Can only hope that they'd use new/nearly new engines, can't imagine there'd be enough older ones to go around.

On another note, anyone know what courtesy cars RRG Macclesfield generally hand out for 86 owners? :p

Soldato
It would be a lot less labour to swap the whole engine, hours and hours less. These engines come out pretty easily but taking one to bits (and resealing it properly afterwards, so it doesn't pee oil everywhere) is a far more skilled job.

Soldato
They do similar price bracket if you demand it... A Prius.

Much better than the Yaris Hybrid, but I'm beginning to like the Aygo after months of torture. Stick a tank of super in it and it feels more responsive.

Associate
OP
They do similar price bracket if you demand it... A Prius.

Much better than the Yaris Hybrid, but I'm beginning to like the Aygo after months of torture. Stick a tank of super in it and it feels more responsive.

Think I'd rather get the bus back than drive a Prius! :eek:

Was hoping I'd be able to be cheeky and ask to test drive a Hilux, always wanted to see if I'd like driving something like that.

Soldato
Lol yep, that is the problem with the last 15 years of Toyota. All their cards except the 86 are boring :p

They don't keep new GT86s around to use as courtesy cars. Most of the time they only get them in as they are ordered.

Soldato
RRG Macc have a couple in but unless you’re one of a handful of their main customers you don’t get them as courtesy cars. Such is the problem of owning Toyota’s current top (only) sports car. Next Sept however... ;)

Soldato
Yup, they are bringing out the new sporty Corolla! 180bhp 2l hybrid, once they figure out a way to stop the gearbox going boom. 3.5k cars recalled in the USA next year.

Back
Top Bottom