• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RX 3000 series

Permabanned
I've seen a few mention 7nm and gaming without stating Vega, but perhaps that's what they meant. I guess we shall have to wait an find out.

I haven't heard that AMD would no longer make Radeons.... making Radeons from now on without using 7nm would be game over for the division.

Soldato
In that case why was 7nm Vega for gaming cancelled, as the latest rumour suggests. It must have been planed for gaming else why the need to cancel it.;)

Where has 7nm Vega for gaming been cancelled? As far as I'm aware, 7nm Vega was never slated for a gaming release and always intended for the Instinct line up - unless I've missed something?

Caporegime
Not a lot if anything, Vega 64 is little more then a tech demo, it's only real purpose was to show that AMD could still compete in the mid-high end of the market (given the Vega 64 matches the GTX 1080 which uses a traditional mid-range chip it shows just how far behind AMD really are) and to give them some presence and exposure. Vega's true calling was in the Instinct lineup that's where AMD wants Vega to earn it's money, we know this because Raja Koduri said he didn't have enough people to handle all the software required to get Vega to where it needed to be and he was told to prioritise the HPC rather then gaming.

The problem with that logic is that the original Vega 10 is not at all suited for HPC, only the new Vega 20 on 7nm has proper 1:2 FP64 support.

But yes, Amd doesn't make much profit on V64 at all. It is a big chip and the HBM2 + interposer adds a lot of money.

Associate
But right now VEGA is our best selling product, the mainstream buyer is not spending over £500 full stop and with 1080 and 1080Ti totally gone, there is a huge gap in the market which VEGA has stepped up and taken with a bang, particular with prices we have done with 56 around £300 and 64 around £400, they are pretty untouchable right now.

Were selling way more AMD on GPU in November and December. :)

But on the flip side were selling more Intel CPU compared to AMD CPU, because of 9th gen.
Out of curiosity, how is the RX 590 selling?

OcUK Staff
Fortunately this year year I don;t have to suffer through CES otherwise I would attend.

There is nothing of a suffer about it, I find it great but I also take a vacation before and after whilst hiring some nice metal to do PCH in.

There again as I’m friends with most the industry our meetings generally involve beer and laughter, best kind of meeting. :)

OcUK Staff
Out of curiosity, how is the RX 590 selling?

Surprisingly well with Vega pricing I was not expecting much from 590 but pleasantly surprised as it’s selling better than 580 and 1060 so it’s a real surprise as to how popular it is but in fairness it’s a very powerful card for the money.

Associate
I haven't heard that AMD would no longer make Radeons.... making Radeons from now on without using 7nm would be game over for the division.
eh what?
Nothign in the keynote blurb talks about 7nm GPUs for gaming. AMD will be talking about 7nm Ryzen and 7nm, Vega 20 which is not for gaming.
refer to the screenshot in the thread it absolutely mentions 7nm for gaming.
"amd is catapulting computing, gaming and visualization tech forward with the worlds first 7nm high performance cpus and gpus"
which bit are you referring to that doesn't mention it? :D

again who said anything about vega? certainly not me..

Caporegime
Guys, a question.

In prep for building a PC next year, I have historically never followed GPU releases very closely. But I couldn't help but see all the RTX hype and everyone pre-ordering cards. Is this for stock reasons, or for price reasons? or both?

The reason I ask, the RX3000 series cards are pretty heavily anticipated, so I imagine demand will be very high for them (esp if the rumours for price and spec are true, lets for the sake of argument, assume they are)

So I wonder if it will be worth pre-ordering to get the best price possible?

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Apologies if this sounds dumb, but I've not followed this market for a very long time :)

ATB
Jake

Soldato
Pre-ordering without benchmarks is dumb. Pre-ordering is never the best price because retailers like to capitalise on hype and anticipation and gouge prices accordingly. RX 3000 won't be available to actually buy until at least September (unless we're very, very lucky). However it looks like AMD pretty much have TSMC's 7nm production all to themselves for a long while, so we may not see supply issues when the RX 3000 cards are officially released and as a result prices should be around what they're intended to be, rather than artificially inflated.

Caporegime
Pre-ordering without benchmarks is dumb. Pre-ordering is never the best price because retailers like to capitalise on hype and anticipation and gouge prices accordingly. RX 3000 won't be available to actually buy until at least September (unless we're very, very lucky). However it looks like AMD pretty much have TSMC's 7nm production all to themselves for a long while, so we may not see supply issues when the RX 3000 cards are officially released and as a result prices should be around what they're intended to be, rather than artificially inflated.
Thanks for the help :)

In terms of specs for me I am not a hardcore or competitive gamer and the current Vega cards would already meet my requirements so Navi will be fine regardless (unless it performs worse, which I doubt) - but for those reasons if supply should be fine so we don't have to worry about stock levels then my only concern is the miners but I will see how it goes. :) - Less concerned about it now though.

Back
Top Bottom