• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Soldato
Sorry to ask, and you probably have done this already, have you set windows Display monitor settings to the correct resolution and Hertz?

Right click Destop
Display settings
Select the monitor
Advanced display settings
Display Adaptor properties for display
List All Modes
Scroll and select correct resolution and hz

Try that
Also, try the same resolution but with 120hz?
the flickering might be caused because of the 144hz - sounds silly but I have seen a few post with that issue.

Yeah, I went into the monitor settings and changed it to "2560 by 1440, True Colour (32 bit), 144 Hertz" (to be honest I couldn't see anything in the Radeon control panel that let me change it in there!)

Either way I've tried using all the different refresh rates (60, 100, 120 and 144) and the only mode that didn't produce the flickering was the 60hz mode - although the first suggestion in my other thread was to try a different displayport cable - I happen to have one and am in the process of testing it with that right now - so far *crosses fingers* I've not noticed any flickering/corruption/artifacting!

My only issue now is the cable I'm using is about 3m long whereas it doesn't need to be more than a metre! :p

Associate
I format my windows and not update to the last version! i install adrenaline 2019 um using the same psu evga 650 gold and now it rocks! I put stage 6 at 950 and stage 7 at 1000 overclock memo 900 config my fans to 50c = 45% 55 = 61% 60C = 83% and my temps stay in 45c 50 and no noise! im so happy now!

Associate
So I have received my Gigabyte Vega 56 (£210 ebay :cool:) and have played around with a few settings undervolting etc. Got my core to 1600mhz at 1.1v with a max temp of 60c. However i'm struggling to get the memory (hynix) past 850mhz without artifacting on heaven-are there any tricks in wattman to get it to say 900mhz without massive voltage/temps?

p.s. Vega drivers don't work on Windows 10 with x58 mobos. Had to downgrade to windows 7-ryzen here I come!!!!!!

Associate
the only thing you could potentially try, is try to flashing the 64 bios as that has more hbm volts at stock than the 56, however hynix memory tends to mean the card is not flashable (ive seen a few reports of some working and a lot of not working) so i think your out of luck. you cant alter hbm voltage on vega at all other than that.

Last edited:
Soldato
After a point to faster you need more power which leads to more heat etc. Eventually even this is not worth it as you get very little gain for a lot more power and heat. Hynix memory also puts you at a disadvantage compared to Samsung.

The results you have are reasonable enough, heaven can tend to produce odd results you would not see in normal use when you get to the limits of a GPU.

Associate
So I have received my Gigabyte Vega 56 (£210 ebay :cool:) and have played around with a few settings undervolting etc. Got my core to 1600mhz at 1.1v with a max temp of 60c. However i'm struggling to get the memory (hynix) past 850mhz without artifacting on heaven-are there any tricks in wattman to get it to say 900mhz without massive voltage/temps?

p.s. Vega drivers don't work on Windows 10 with x58 mobos. Had to downgrade to windows 7-ryzen here I come!!!!!!

Interesting, I had a problem getting my Vega drivers working for my 2200g on Win 10 and the 2200g ran super slow, I suspect it maybe only single channel ram, I'm not sure. They worked fine when I plugged in a rx 570 though.

Associate
So....new PSU delivered (thank you OCUK!) and installed and all seems to be working well - thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

One final question - I had assumed that a newer, more powerful PSU would be more efficient and therefore generate less heat - however, I think that the new PSU acutally generates more heat (although I could be imagining this!) - is this possible/normal/nothing for me to worry about? For reference:
  • Old PSU - Superflower 550W Gold
  • New PSU - Seasonic 750W Gold (in standard mode)

Associate
Well - I was thinking that the fan being permanently on would be a good thing in terms of exhausting hot air from the case (the PSU is at the top of my case so the fan will draw in hot are from the CPU cooler I assume). My concern is that (subjectively) it seems that the PC is overall hotter with this new PSU than the old one (which didn't have a hybrid mode and therefore also had an 'always on' fan).

Equally, I suppose, it could mean that the fan is more efficient on the new PSU and is exhausting more hot air than then old one...

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
It could be simply like you say this fan inside the PSU draws more air out of your case compared to the other one or one way to test if its getting measured as hot then let the diode dictate if the fan is on and see if it stays on. If it stays on as it thinks its warm then you should really try looking at airflow in the case. When your not gaming or stressing the machine the PSU fan should not be on.

Associate
@Tiny Clanger Did the new PSU solve your issue?

To be honest I think the real issue I had was with the Gigabyte overclocking software which I had installed. For a while I was getting an error where a random "The driver can't release to failure" message would pop up periodically and I think that this was conflicting with the Radeon software. At least, since I've uninstalled the Gigabyte app there hasn't been an issue (touch wood!!!). However, by the time I'd figured this out the new PSU was here and it's probably the best thing (in the long run) to have upgraded. The 550W PSU I did have was probably very close to what I could get away with - especially if I want to play around with some mild overclocking - and it only had a single 6+2 PCIe connection with a second connector daisy chained from it which might have caused issues.

Back
Top Bottom