God of War 4

Caporegime
Finally got round to starting this and wow... I'm blown away by the graphics (4K HDR). I had only played Witcher 3 on the Pro prior to this and that looks great to me, but this just looks incredible. Really enjoying it too.

Soldato
Is it quite different to 3?

I tried 3 as it was on PSplus, but it's bloody awful. Horrible camera, horrible controls, horrible QuickTime button spamming.

I'm assuming GoW 4 was a total revamp to have got the reviews it did?

Associate

I tried 3 as it was on PSplus, but it's bloody awful. Horrible camera, horrible controls, horrible QuickTime button spamming.

The camera was the only thing that took a little getting used to but i thought the controls were fine, just a lot of different combos once you start expanding the skill trees. Camera might just have a little awkward for me having been playing Destiny and HZD before GOW. I find the latest tomb raider the same if i pick it up after a week away from it.

Soldato

Yeh 4 is way different

Associate
Has anyone played the NG+ on this? How’s the difficulty? I played the game on the 2nd hardest difficulty and found it really challenging in parts especially with the flying elves bosses I think they were.

How difficult if the gmgow difficulty? Is it doable? I bought this game digitally unfortunately so couldn’t trade it in. Maybe fancy another playththrough now though.

Soldato
Has anyone played the NG+ on this? How’s the difficulty? I played the game on the 2nd hardest difficulty and found it really challenging in parts especially with the flying elves bosses I think they were.

How difficult if the gmgow difficulty? Is it doable? I bought this game digitally unfortunately so couldn’t trade it in. Maybe fancy another playththrough now though.

I found the second hardest difficulty ideal, sometimes a bit too easy. I heard GMGoW is needlessly tough in the beginning but levels out later on. Also it's quite different on NG+
since you have everything unlocked.

I also got this digitally unfortunately (only disc copies for me from now on) as I can't see me playing it more than twice with one playthrough already completed.

Soldato
I'm probably two thirds through this game. I am enjoying it, but the gameplay,especially the combat is a little unimaginative. It does some things that I think game devs do when they are low on ideas... For example, 'you know that enemy you thought 5 hours ago, well here it is again, only this time we'll throw in some more random enemies with it to add some artificial difficulty'.

For me the story and lore are excellent, the world is very good(if a bit samey), the combat OK, characters very good, exploration OK but too directed. Gameplay is hardly revolutionary though, mostly just a load of corridors leading to arenas

It is probably heading for an 8/10 at this point. In terms of goty atm, bearing in mind I've not finished yet, it is probably top 3 for me... It might get first if I really enjoy the rest. Tbh I think the game seems to be mentioning and referring to a lot of things I'm never going to see(i notice a lot of realms seem to simply say they have been locked by odin!)

Soldato
Coming near the end now. The game has run out of steam. Just throw more enemies at you seems to be what the game has devolved in to unfortunately.

I'll go for 8/10 overall. It was largely enjoyable but hardly groundbreaking.

Soldato
An 8/10 for me too. Definitely overrated but still a top game and gorgeous hdr graphics.
Yeah it's definitely overrated, but it is still very good.

The combat especially is vastly overrated. It reminds me a little bit of Dark Souls 2, a game that was heavily criticised for thinking more enemies=difficulty...im trying to kill a Valkyrie atm which has 5 or 6 other (recycled)enemies running round the arena as well. It isn't making it harder or more Interesting, just more annoying as I'm killed by something off screen.

Soldato
Well, peoples' opinions on this seem pretty similar. I also think the same, no way would I give this above 8/10. It's good and the combat is fun once you start chaining stuff together and mixing it up, the story is decent, great graphics etc. but it lacks that special something.

The setting has a lot of wasted potential. The game doesn't really shine throughout its course apart from some sparse moments in between duller sections that sometimes become tiresome, at least that's what I felt during my playthrough.

Associate
Well, peoples' opinions on this seem pretty similar. I also think the same, no way would I give this above 8/10. It's good and the combat is fun once you start chaining stuff together and mixing it up, the story is decent, great graphics etc. but it lacks that special something.

The setting has a lot of wasted potential. The game doesn't really shine throughout its course apart from some sparse moments in between duller sections that sometimes become tiresome, at least that's what I felt during my playthrough.

Yeah totally agree. I think the scale of the areas to explore was just way too small by modern standards. Felt way too on rails too in the environment.

There’s definitely been a lot of hyperbole this year on some of the big releases.

Soldato
Yeah totally agree. I think the scale of the areas to explore was just way too small by modern standards. Felt way too on rails too in the environment.

There’s definitely been a lot of hyperbole this year on some of the big releases.

Totally get this^

But for me it was nice to play something that wasn't a complete open world with loads of check boxes etc. I think it struck a fair balance between the two but can see it maybe leaned more towards the linear aspect than some may have liked.

Soldato

Exactly what I was thinking during my playthrough, those corridor forests and cramped linear areas... I had something different in mind when I heard "Nordic setting". None of the realms were particularly captivating or visually impressive, all of it felt like a tame 30-hour teaser to something bigger (which it obviously is but still).

V F

V F

Soldato

I'm currently doing my first play through on Give Me God of War. Toughest fight I've had seems to keep growing but it has definitely been so far, Svartaljofurr the dark elf boss. I was level 2 when I took him on. He was a beast but I loved the intro soon as you entered the pot and he grabbed you. Felt like Mum-ra. :D

Those big swings and his flying smashes into the ground. :eek:

If only it went as smooth as this.

Way before that I think I spent close to two hours learning the mechanics in the draugr pit.

I'm probably two thirds through this game. I am enjoying it, but the gameplay,especially the combat is a little unimaginative. It does some things that I think game devs do when they are low on ideas... For example, 'you know that enemy you thought 5 hours ago, well here it is again, only this time we'll throw in some more random enemies with it to add some artificial difficulty'.

For me the story and lore are excellent, the world is very good(if a bit samey), the combat OK, characters very good, exploration OK but too directed. Gameplay is hardly revolutionary though, mostly just a load of corridors leading to arenas

It is probably heading for an 8/10 at this point. In terms of goty atm, bearing in mind I've not finished yet, it is probably top 3 for me... It might get first if I really enjoy the rest. Tbh I think the game seems to be mentioning and referring to a lot of things I'm never going to see(i notice a lot of realms seem to simply say they have been locked by odin!)

I felt that way when I was getting Brok's ring. The heavy draugr that kept regenerating on each hit along with those blasted exploding nightmares.

The dead guy/spirits were funny. More so the one that unleashed the two big beasts that kept chasing you in the circled arena.

My favourite part is throwing back fire and ice balls in slow motion.

Though the fast draugr's with the swords and heavy draugr's with the red hammers certainly aren't fun. Let alone the exploding ones in rings of fire. This game really has made me hate draugr's so much. :D

Though from what I've read into the mountain, currently last left behind the glowing deer/stag that sits on the concrete seat. I'm not looking forward to the Valkerie in there.

The game makes no sense at times. A lot of boss fights are easier than the hordes of draugr's and nightmares.

Back
Top Bottom