Spec me a car to use as a parking space holder

Associate
Mate, you could have just parked to the side of their house, behind where their car is at the moment.
No need for drama, and tbh it doesn't seem like a big deal that they parked where they did.
Sure, it's not ideal that they pulled up directly behind you, could just be a miscalculation or them not thinking at all. They certainly could have backed up further to the side of the house, but you can't really be angry at them for parking where they did.
A single strong wheel lock right and you're out of there. I think you're bringing the drama upon yourself by parking in front of the their house to begin with when there's plenty of neutral parking space both to the left and right within the photo already, let them have the space in front of their place when there's bags of room within 10 seconds walking distance in either direction.

To be fair I wasn't even aware they owned a car until tonight, when my girlfriend told me whos it was. That's where I've always parked for years when the in-laws are up. There's room over the other side if its a problem, but parking behind my car like that is clearly is just being a awkward chewy **** when they don't own the road. It's literally the first time I've parked there i 4-5 months.

Soldato
If you're going to be leaving at 6am then what's the problem with parking behind the 2/3 cars on your own drive? I'm guessing they won't be moving their cars before 6am?

I'm lucky in that although we're a 2 car house with a drive big enough for only 1 car (technically it will take 2, but the rear car has to be parked within inches of the house to allow enough room to get past it to the door) I don't have much issue parking on the road, and all the neighbours know how to park. It's all semi detached houses down our road, and the space between dropped kerbs can take 2 cars with no issue, it's only when the shoppers/commuters/school kids park down here that they park right in the middle of the spaces taking up 2 spaces.

Associate
Because that's public road and not their drive? I parked there in the day when people could have needed to be out, and I didn't actually realise they owned a car themselves.

Soldato
Another problem with playing games like this is that you’re increasing the chance of ‘accidental’ damage to your car when they realise what you’re doing.

Soldato
That's where I've always parked for years when the in-laws are up..

Just because you've done it in the past doesn't make it right. And if that's the case, be happy you can still get out very easily even if someone blocks you in from the rear. There's literally a **** ton of room to get out of the position in the photo you posted.

There's room over the other side if its a problem

Why not just park there anyway to avoid any problems to begin with, and be a considerate neighbour?

Because that's public road and not their drive? I parked there in the day when people could have needed to be out, and I didn't actually realise they owned a car themselves.

There's also unused public road either side of their house that isn't in use (and the option of blocking yourself in). I'm sorry dude, but there's so much alternative parking space in your scenario, I'm finding it really hard to empathise with you. Get over yourself, give your neighbours their front of house space back and park around those conditions and avoid any self made drama based on silly estate and entitled historical rules you make up for yourself about public roads. Even if you hate them because they don't own the joint :rolleyes: You're just making life harder for yourself.

Soldato
I do not get those who think they are entitled to park on the road outside their house.

The road is public anyone can park on it, just park somewhere else.

I live in a victorian terrace house and get this all the time i would love to park outside my house but hardly ever can. Some people leave notes on cars. "You dont live on this road dont park here" etc.

Public roads are public and people can park where they want.

If you want private parking move somewhere with allocated spaces or a drive.

Soldato
That's not blocked, there's no car in front, kerb isn't raised. I bet if that was a member of your family you'd be all up for it.

I do not get those who think they are entitled to park on the road outside their house.

I live in a victorian terrace house and get this all the time i would love to park outside my house but hardly ever can. Some people leave notes on cars. "You dont live on this road dont park here" etc.

^^^ This. It's the public highway. If it's taxed, and there's no parking restrictions then you're being ridiculous.

Soldato
Parking spaces are funny old things. My wife used to get proper cross about not being able to park outside our house whereas I’m just like, meh. I’ll park up the road a bit or wherever there is space?? I know it can be hard work if you’re trying to move a stubborn toddler or bring some shopping in but at the end of the day it’s the price you pay for not having a dedicated space. Then there’s the whole issue when most of the road has a dropped kerb and then there are no normal spaces to park in! :D

Associate
If you're going to be leaving at 6am then what's the problem with parking behind the 2/3 cars on your own drive? I'm guessing they won't be moving their cars before 6am?

Because its opposite a junction so would he would be wrong to park in front of his drive.
The car that's sort of blocked him in is parked illegally.
Pretty sure he is not that bothered but them parking behind him like that is a bum move

Associate

Just because I've parked there before doesn't make it right no, the fact it's public parking does though and not his drive. You're right, theres unused space as the side of his house so why did he need to park directly behind me? To prove a point that it isn't his space? The parking covered the whole behind of my car so isn't a mistake, and the fact i have to drive 4 wheels onto a path and slightly over someones drive to get out I'd consider it blocked in. Split hairs all you want that I can awkwardly get out doesn't mean it isn't intentional.

You act like I've parked there intentionally to **** him off - i didn't but I now intend to for the remainder of the in-laws stay. The other side is sometimes used by a car a few doors up and generally that space is vacent so I've always parked there. Even so, they're spaces to be used by all the estate as overflow it is not his drive and he doesn't take privilege just because it is outside his home. Silly entitled rules woild state he is entitled to a space that isn't tied to the deeds of the househe is renting, not the fact it is designed for other neighbours to use.

It's the first time I've parked there in months, I've parked there on and off for over 3 years. If that space was full id park somewhere else, even a mile up the street if I had to because like him, I don't own the road so every space on it is free for anyone to use.

Pretty much this. I used to live on a terraced house and often had people park outside my house. Was what it was and the fact i didn't own a drive meant i had nothing to complain about as i had no privilege to park outside my house, and often had to park in the next street.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
When I lived on a main road I was in a block of three houses. Only the middle one had off road parking, which they used religiously as they were stuc of passing traffic clipping their mirrors.

So the end houses (one of them mine) shared the road space. Depending on who was coming home at what time, sometimes that meant they were outside my house and I was outside theirs.

Once I was parked outside theirs, and they had some visitors who called the police and reported my car as being abandoned there. I could hear the discussions through the window.
"You can't let him get away with parking there, that's your space"
"Just report their cars as dumped, they are old so the police will just crush them no questions asked"

Honestly some folk are off their heads.

Soldato
Pretty much this. I used to live on a terraced house and often had people park outside my house. Was what it was and the fact i didn't own a drive meant i had nothing to complain about as i had no privilege to park outside my house, and often had to park in the next street.

So they have no right to park outside their house? So what? It’s called being neighbourly, you chose to park outside and not in the many other spaces down the street. If you want to cause friction with your neighbours, your well on the way to doing it.

Did you knock on the door at 6am?

‘Hi, you live in affordable housing and don’t own the parking space outside your home...’

Caporegime
On the flip side, how would people feel about this situation:

The guy opposite us has two cars, and a driveway that accommodates 2.5 cars (3 if he overhangs the utterly useless pavement with the final one). However at least 9 times out of 10 he will park the second car in the cul-de-sac's turning area, making live miserable for people trying to turn round (the binmen for example have a rough time of it, as do deliveries in anything larger than a 3.5t van). I'm pretty certain that he does it simply to be a lazy **** (based on the fact he used to park on my lawn until I had words!) so that his wife can get off the drive before him without having to move the 2nd car. Not worth doing anything about it as he's got the house up for sale, but still rather annoying even though it doesn't actually hinder me all that much.

Soldato
On the flip side, how would people feel about this situation:

The guy opposite us has two cars, and a driveway that accommodates 2.5 cars (3 if he overhangs the utterly useless pavement with the final one). However at least 9 times out of 10 he will park the second car in the cul-de-sac's turning area, making live miserable for people trying to turn round (the binmen for example have a rough time of it, as do deliveries in anything larger than a 3.5t van). I'm pretty certain that he does it simply to be a lazy **** (based on the fact he used to park on my lawn until I had words!) so that his wife can get off the drive before him without having to move the 2nd car. Not worth doing anything about it as he's got the house up for sale, but still rather annoying even though it doesn't actually hinder me all that much.

We have a lot of this in our cul-de-sac too. Most of the driveways could accommodate 3 cars at a push but people are just too lazy sometimes and their third car, usually the children tend to park in the turning area. It doesn't bother me too much as we're at the entrance to the street so effects on us are minimal but we often see the bin lorry and delivery trucks backing out. I guess it's just a sign of the times wrt people's attitudes and increasing household car numbers. On the whole though most are courteous it's just visitors and the odd teenager with a car.

Back
Top Bottom