Mercedes Benz and AMG Owners

Soldato
Mrs and I picked up the new shopping trolley this week to replace the Audi A3 below. We owned this for 4 years and I'll miss it, mainly for the £30 a year tax! Oh and the mpg (it was a 1.4).

With this, Mercedes Benz GLC 43

She's really pleased with it, certainly more practical for our needs. Makes a lovely noise.

Few quirks I've been struggling with, nearside mirror moving around all over the place when reversing and the main beam assist or adaptive headlights? Yeh, I'm not sold on that either. Other than that it's a nice car, as long as it keeps her happy that's all that matters!

I assume you got a pretty cheap deal on that due to the new 2019 version being launched in the next couple of months? Never sure what the obsession is with the huge 4x4 type vehicles is these days mind you, hopefully they'll fall out of fashion soon, or car parking spaces will be made larger, or alternatively people could be forced to take a test before they are allowed to enter the car park. :p

Caporegime
SUVs are sadly here to stay as they've been the best selling vehicles for years now.

An estate makes far more sense though...unless you are quite old or disabled or something, in which case SUVs are easier to get in and out of.

Soldato
SUVs are sadly here to stay as they've been the best selling vehicles for years now.

An estate makes far more sense though...unless you are quite old or disabled or something, in which case SUVs are easier to get in and out of.
Old or disabled lol

Why would an estate make far more sense?

Loading kids and all their junk is a lot easier in an SUV, there’s more space than in an estate, they’re nicer to drive in traffic as you can see a lot better out of them.

I probably wouldn’t have one instead of my car but there’s no way we’d swap my wife’s SUV for something like an estate.

They’re not going anywhere now that Chevy and Ford have stopped almost all car production in favour of SUVs

Associate
I think it does it if you have the mirror selected on the mirror controls. Select the other mirror and it should stop.

Thanks, I'll give that a try next time I drive it.

As for size It's 5" wider and 8" longer than the A3, so yeh it's akin to a Chieftain tank :p

We moved out in to the sticks last year, she hired out a Volvo XC90 when the snow hit and that was it, obsessed with owning a 4x4 SUV ever since. She'd been toying with the idea of owning one before then when we took the A3 to main dealers for a service and they had a fully kitted out SQ5. She see a GLC 63 (and wouldn't shut up about it) a few month back and since then been looking at Mercs. I did mention about the whole 2 day a year snow thing, I got shot down :o

Soldato
Thanks, I'll give that a try next time I drive it.

As for size It's 5" wider and 8" longer than the A3, so yeh it's akin to a Chieftain tank :p

We moved out in to the sticks last year, she hired out a Volvo XC90 when the snow hit and that was it, obsessed with owning a 4x4 SUV ever since. She'd been toying with the idea of owning one before then when we took the A3 to main dealers for a service and they had a fully kitted out SQ5. She see a GLC 63 (and wouldn't shut up about it) a few month back and since then been looking at Mercs. I did mention about the whole 2 day a year snow thing, I got shot down :o

Haha, wife Pwn'age. Go buy some trousers. :p

And for your information I've been told 5" is a lot. :D

Caporegime
Old or disabled lol

Why would an estate make far more sense?

Loading kids and all their junk is a lot easier in an SUV, there’s more space than in an estate, they’re nicer to drive in traffic as you can see a lot better out of them.

I probably wouldn’t have one instead of my car but there’s no way we’d swap my wife’s SUV for something like an estate.

I don't think there's many SUVs that can carry more than a large estates other than maybe the range rover.

E class estate, Skoda Superb and Peugeot 308 SW are all cavernous.

Estates drive better as well because they are lower down to the ground.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think there's many SUVs that can carry more than a large estates other than maybe the range rover.

Q7, Touareg, etc are all canvernous too. Nissan and toyota make some pretty big SUVs too but I’m not sure if they’re available in the UK. My wife’s is a ‘crossover’ and has more space than an E class estate.

Estates probably handle better but who owns one for that? The ride in an SUV is a lot more comfortable. It pains me to say it but my wife’s QX60 is a lot more comfortable ride than my CLS or my dad’s E class estate, both with Airmatic.

Like I said, I don’t think I’d have one myself but I don’t think we’ll ever not have one, it’s just way too practical, safer too. You can’t just write them off completely as something for old or disabled people because you don’t like them.

Soldato

An E class estate is nearly 5m long, it is expected to my massive does have the benefit the boot height tends to be lower. Range Rover can be pretty small boots to be honest as they typically are carrying a spare or even full spare with a fair amount of kit.

Man of Honour
Had the C43 a month now. Still haven’t got over the urge to go out and drive it all the time. Not that I haven’t really enjoyed my previous cars, but I think this is the first time I’ve really loved my car.

The noise in Sport+ when flooring it is far too good :D I love how it verges on obnoxious. I didn’t realise just how loud it was until I’ve had people comment on it who have been outside the car.

I’m yet to find something I dislike about the car or find annoying yet. Well actually, tell a lie, the lack of album art over Bluetooth bugs me, but I’m doing wel if that’s all I can think of.

Can see me keeping this car a long time, it’s the perfect blend of noise/speed and economy. I get 400 miles out of a tank if I try, 300 if I drive like a loony most of the time.

Soldato
Had the C43 a month now. Still haven’t got over the urge to go out and drive it all the time. Not that I haven’t really enjoyed my previous cars, but I think this is the first time I’ve really loved my car.

The noise in Sport+ when flooring it is far too good :D I love how it verges on obnoxious. I didn’t realise just how loud it was until I’ve had people comment on it who have been outside the car.

I’m yet to find something I dislike about the car or find annoying yet. Well actually, tell a lie, the lack of album art over Bluetooth bugs me, but I’m doing wel if that’s all I can think of.

Can see me keeping this car a long time, it’s the perfect blend of noise/speed and economy. I get 400 miles out of a tank if I try, 300 if I drive like a loony most of the time.

I’m pretty much the same, I’m loving the E43 and the noise in Sport+ is quite addictive. It’s no E63 noise wise but it does have a lovely warble/howl.

Associate

Totally agree. I've had my C43 since the end of July and still love getting into it and driving it (cold start at 7am when the neighbours are asleep = :D )

Usually, as soon as I've bought a car, I start thinking about what I would like to get next. At the moment all I can think that I would like next is another C43!

Man of Honour
Totally agree. I've had my C43 since the end of July and still love getting into it and driving it (cold start at 7am when the neighbours are asleep = :D )

Usually, as soon as I've bought a car, I start thinking about what I would like to get next. At the moment all I can think that I would like next is another C43!

The cold start noise is brilliant :D

Man of Honour
I think the electrics on my E Class are at best, fickle. Several beeps from the external warning sensors when there is nothing close. The rear seat occasionally seems to think there is a passenger on it, when there isn't. My bonnet sensor flipped out first time I opened and closed the bonnet, insistent it was open when it wasn't requiring a big slam to 'fix' it. Coming into my drive, which I enter down hill over a cattle grid it brain farted, thought I was about to crash and pulled my seatbelt tight and beeped at me. Sometimes the gearbox doesn't want to select, sometimes the maps I send to the car....don't get there, maybe they are waiting for me on another car? I like the car a lot, it is slow, it sounds rubbish but it really is a nice place to be, easy to drive, has nice toys and is comfy, quiet and relatively smooth, but the electronics are from Lucas I think. Also I still need to get the headlights fixed as they are really badly aligned, from my research they are bad so need to get that sorted too.

Back
Top Bottom