Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I wear a Ticwatch Pro, its more 'watch looking' than others, especially if you get a traditional looking face. I turn off the Essential mode (the basic looking LCD screen) as I don't like it, it does help with battery life though.

Tag do a smart watch, its a hell of a lot of money though, I do really like it mind you, and would have one if I could justify it! - https://www.tagheuer.com/en-gb/watches/tag-heuer-connected

I use mine for telling the time, notifications, controlling Spotify etc. in that order. :)

Soldato
I wear a Ticwatch Pro, its more 'watch looking' than others, especially if you get a traditional looking face. I turn off the Essential mode (the basic looking LCD screen) as I don't like it, it does help with battery life though.

Tag do a smart watch, its a hell of a lot of money though, I do really like it mind you, and would have one if I could justify it! - https://www.tagheuer.com/en-gb/watches/tag-heuer-connected

I use mine for telling the time, notifications, controlling Spotify etc. in that order. :)

Oh I wont be getting a Tag, mine is quite old but my days of spending £1k+ on a watch are over for a while anyway! Do you find it bulky to wear? The ticwatch was one of my favourites from the ones Ive looked at.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I did find it a bit tall at first, coming from my old G Watch R. But I'm used to it now. It is the perfect size imo, which is why it took me so long to find a replacement to the GWR!

The Huawei Watch 2 is a nice one too, but I thought it felt/looked small on my wrists, and I don't have huge wrists either.

I got the TW Pro from Mobvoi in Black Friday for £165. Which to me is a bargain.

Soldato
I did find it a bit tall at first, coming from my old G Watch R. But I'm used to it now. It is the perfect size imo, which is why it took me so long to find a replacement to the GWR!

The Huawei Watch 2 is a nice one too, but I thought it felt/looked small on my wrists, and I don't have huge wrists either.

I got the TW Pro from Mobvoi in Black Friday for £165. Which to me is a bargain.

Yeah its back up at over £200 but will no doubt b back to that sort of price level in the post Xmas sales.

Soldato
Got a ticwatch pro from Mrs Santa today. Really liking it but not being used to wearing watches, I'm finding the strap a bit uncomfortable on the sides of my wrists - it's like the strap is too rigid and isn't round enough. Is this likely to soften up and get better or should I look for a new strap? On that note, any strap recommendations?

Thanks and merry Christmas

Associate
Finally had to admit defeat with using a Fitbit Versa with my wife's Huawei P20 Lite. Tried all the different fixes, but can't get it to sync/connect/receive notifications. Its going back to the rainforest. Any altrenatives that carry out roughly the same functions for roughly the same price and work with a P20 Lite? Preferably one that won't suck up 8 hours of my life over Xmas/Boxing Day ;). Its primarily for use in a gym but she does want to be able to receive notifcations to texts/emails and, importantly, 'not to look like a mans watch'

Associate
Finally had to admit defeat with using a Fitbit Versa with my wife's Huawei P20 Lite. Tried all the different fixes, but can't get it to sync/connect/receive notifications. Its going back to the rainforest. Any altrenatives that carry out roughly the same functions for roughly the same price and work with a P20 Lite? Preferably one that won't suck up 8 hours of my life over Xmas/Boxing Day ;). Its primarily for use in a gym but she does want to be able to receive notifcations to texts/emails and, importantly, 'not to look like a mans watch'
That's a shame. I got a Versa 2 weeks a go and love it. It works flawlessly with my Pixel 2XL and has never missed a heart beat. I read the forums and see all the problems people have and count myself lucky.
Saying that, the other half has a Charge 3 and has sync problems when tracking walks and runs with her Pixel 2XL and the only way to get it to work is to remove the device from the app and set it up again. Really frustrating. It will then track one days worth of exercise and then throw a wobbly and not work again. :confused::confused:

Associate
Ordered my first SmartWatch - the Samsung Galaxy Watch. The strap though, ew. All smartwatches seem to come with awful plastic straps. I need to find a nice leather one

Associate
Ordered my first SmartWatch - the Samsung Galaxy Watch. The strap though, ew. All smartwatches seem to come with awful plastic straps. I need to find a nice leather one

I bought one over Christmas arrived yesterday from the rainforest. Brand is Berfine about 13.99. Thick chunky leather which I prefer some of the pics of other makes can be deceiving.
Can recommend. However it's not a quick release so once it's on its a pig to remove. Just something to be mindful of if you like to swap them regularly.

Soldato
i got a galaxy watch for Christmas from the wife. Very happy with it bar having to use Samsung pay and my bank, RBS, not seeming to support it. Am i missing something obvious or can you only use Samsung pay?

Soldato
I bought a Galaxy Watch last week and I'm extremely impressed with it. I bought the 42mm version because I always thought my LG Watch Sport was too big, although it's a shame the silver case is only available in 46mm.

I was hesitant to go for the Galaxy Watch at first mainly because I'm not with EE so can't get LTE but I only wanted to use the LTE for streaming music when running. Seeing as I can't get GPM on the Galaxy Watch and I don't want to switch to Spotify I thought not having LTE would be a moot point anyway.

The other reason was the app situation but I rarely used apps on my LG Watch Sport. I've got mixed feelings about the app situation on the Galaxy Watch. On one hand I've come across some apps that are better than their WearOS counterparts - namely HereWeGo being better than Google Maps' WearOS app, and a 3rd party Nest App that is better than Nest's own WearOS app. The store is pretty baron and full of low quality apps though and it really shows, most apps have 2 or less star ratings.

Battery life, the screen and general build quality is much better than the LG Watch sport. I also think Samsung Health is better than Google Fit because you can can actually specify targets before a workout such as target pace, distance, time or calories. You couldn't do that with Google Fit or any of the 3rd party running apps, you could only track a run!

Does anybody know if it is possible to use viewranger (or other ordnance survey mapping program) on the Samsung galaxy watch?

ViewRanger you definitely can't, actually if you read their FAQ they're not shy at calling out that Tizen isn't supported so it doesn't seem like they're interested in changing this any time soon. I downloaded an app called GPX Route Tracker today but haven't used it yet. There's a companion app for your phone that allows you to push GPX files to the watch and it displays it on either an offline map (powered by leaflet) or online Google Maps. It does cost about £1.50 though if I remember correctly.

i got a galaxy watch for Christmas from the wife. Very happy with it bar having to use Samsung pay and my bank, RBS, not seeming to support it. Am i missing something obvious or can you only use Samsung pay?

Yeah you can only use Samsung Pay.

Soldato

Get a Starling card to use for Samsung pay (I have Santander and Nationwide which work with Spay but only use starling now) ..also handy to use the Starling abroad

Associate
I got a Starling card purley to use with my fitbit versa. I transfer money from my barclays account into that so I can pay with my watch. Starling has a very good app with fingerprint login which I love, have been using the app and card (via my watch) loads.

Associate
Gone for a left field choice in the Huawei Band 3 Pro. £60 for GPS, heart rate etc.

Really like it but, it's made me adamant I want a fully feautered watch next time. I'm not liking Huawei's integration with Strava and MFP which I can't seem to get around to work like my Fitbit flex 1 did.

Soldato
Hi

I seen EE offering the Galaxy Watch and it comes with a mobile phone number, my phone is blocked so cannot be used as a phone, is there a way to use the Watch alone as a phone?

Whats the number for if i cannot call/text?

Any time i try to call, just tried to call using my phone...which has no sim and is blocked.

thanks

Back
Top Bottom