• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
A member a few pages back suggests run a benchmark loop of something with very high fps for a few hours or overnight and that helps with reducing the coil wine
Hope it helps for you

Thanks, I guess that may be worth a try. What is the situation if I did decide to return it, would they replace it on this basis or is it accepted that some coil whine may be present and its just tough?

I guess it is coil whine, its not as high pitched as examples I've heard in the past but I can't imagine what else it could be. I'm not somebody who is generally picky about these things, but its quite noticeable.

Associate
Hi Guys
Its my first post here, in advance sorry for my bad english.
My PC:
Windows 7
I7-2600k
4x4gb Patriot Viper DDR3 2133mhz
Asus P8Z68-V LX
Corsair AXi860
1,5Tb WD black
3TB Seagate constellation
Gigabyte Gaming OC Vega 64

Recently i bought Gigabyte Gaming OC Vega 64 an i got issure with PC crash and black screen (before Vega i was using Radeon 7870 without any issure). When i'm gaming and card is set on fabric setting (balanced in wattman), after 10-60 min of gaming screen just go black and after few seconds i got message that monitor is not connected, there are times when screen go black and fans starts working at top speed, only thing i can do is reset. Card better work in Turbo mode, i can play 2-3h without PC crush, but in power save mode story looks like in balanced mode. I was trying set custom settings like in this thread:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/rx-vega-64-loss-of-signal-problem.18838722/
Tried them while they are decent, they run the hotspot over 100c on a ref air cooled VEGA 64 while only getting a few extra mhz on the core. The issue least for me after some gaming time the GPU will down clock to p6 state to keep the hotspot in check. My settings keep the GPU running at p7 state all the time.

With my settings I get lower temps, and a hotspot temp that doesn't go over 100c keeping HBM under 80c

29796245fdd9b99bc3d8d8cce8c8a570d7e38e5029eb530cebe6af36511f895c39b21936.jpg

I was testing it 3h in AC:Black Flag and PC didnt crush but after i closed game and opened Steam monitor went black and i starded wondering if there are some settings that will work with my card or maybe i should return it.

Soldato
Hi Guys
Its my first post here, in advance sorry for my bad english.
My PC:
Windows 7
I7-2600k
4x4gb Patriot Viper DDR3 2133mhz
Asus P8Z68-V LX
Corsair AXi860
1,5Tb WD black
3TB Seagate constellation
Gigabyte Gaming OC Vega 64

Recently i bought Gigabyte Gaming OC Vega 64 an i got issure with PC crash and black screen (before Vega i was using Radeon 7870 without any issure). When i'm gaming and card is set on fabric setting (balanced in wattman), after 10-60 min of gaming screen just go black and after few seconds i got message that monitor is not connected, there are times when screen go black and fans starts working at top speed, only thing i can do is reset. Card better work in Turbo mode, i can play 2-3h without PC crush, but in power save mode story looks like in balanced mode. I was trying set custom settings like in this thread:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/rx-vega-64-loss-of-signal-problem.18838722/

I was testing it 3h in AC:Black Flag and PC didnt crush but after i closed game and opened Steam monitor went black and i starded wondering if there are some settings that will work with my card or maybe i should return it.
Which driver version are you using? And is your fan spinning to 100% when you crash before or after?

Associate
That sounds exactly the same as my card. Mine does it. Fans go to 100%, screen goes black and i have to hold power button on the computer to turn off then back on. This is the reason why im probably gonn return my card to overclockers.

Associate
These cards do run hot. Is your case well vented. Have you undervolted the card in wattman. Panos has recommended some undervolting settings. Try 1050 on p6 and 1080 on p7 you will have to have a play about but it is worth it

Associate
I was using Aderenalin 18.12.1.1, fan starts spinning to 100% after crush. I was playing with amd performace monitoring window and this card crush even at 60°C GPU temperature. Right now i updated gpu driver to 18.12.1.2 but it didnt do any good.

Soldato
@DANIEL CHAPMAN @GoblinSlayer

When I first got my VEGA 64 I had a issue that the screen would go black with fans 100%
It turned out that my GPU on Balanced mode was trying to pull to much power from my 1000w PSU This PSU was already powering a OC i7 8700k and it was to much for the power the VEGA 64 requires.

Am still using the same GPU but I found a fix for my black screen and that was to create a custom Wattman profile and tune the GPU so it was running faster than out the box and also run much cooler and lower voltage.

Can you both try these settings please
6595729899b095b7f311ce0274646efe158656f3967977c313b7650b70cb73e730adc089.jpg

Associate
Thanks shankly1985, those settings are better than "out of box" but still i got black screens, i'm pretty sure that its faulty card (yesterday i had black screen after ~3h of web browsing on balanced mode, that doesnt look good) i will try return it. Today graphic cards are pain in ***, i heard about faulty RTX cards, now i step on faulty vega 64 card (probably Gigabyte Vega are worst cards on market but i read it after i bought it).

Associate
Hi, I finally had time to play with my vega64 nitro+. I am running 18.12.1.1 drivers.

My Bios is 016.001.001.000.000000, so my first question is how can I check if it is the same bios as 8892?

Here are my results in UI 1080p extreme (core as in the pic, hbm: 1050@980, Powerlimit@+12, fan: min:1000-max:2300, temp: target: 65-75):
uI_oc_bloot_06b_zpsfcpjb0xv.png

I noticed that the maximum core is not linear ... it fluctuates but I cannot think of how to avoid it. Also, in this test there are some dips of the core mhz as you can see in the graph. Is this normal? Can I rely on Wattman graph of frequency?

I also tested using afterburner, to check for framerate, but there are also oscillations. What about your results when you achieve the position in the ranking you posted yesterday?

I tried core 1712mhz with a different config and it worked but consuming much more Watt.

So, my question is what do you think I could change/try to improve my results.

Important I discovered is to have temps of the backplate under control, it gets too hot while benchmarking/playing even if you see the temps in my pic. HBM greater than 75 starts penalizing core mhz/fps and make them fluctuate. I ended putting 3x120 fans cooling the backplate which helped, but nothing like water for sure.

I want to fine tune it now on air to see how far can I go.

So, hope to hear some suggestions from you.

Rgds

Associate
Hi, I finally had time to play with my vega64 nitro+. I am running 18.12.1.1 drivers.

My Bios is 016.001.001.000.000000, so my first question is how can I check if it is the same bios as 8892?

Here are my results in UI 1080p extreme (core as in the pic, hbm: 1050@980, Powerlimit@+12, fan: min:1000-max:2300, temp: target: 65-75):
uI_oc_bloot_06b_zpsfcpjb0xv.png

I noticed that the maximum core is not linear ... it fluctuates but I cannot think of how to avoid it. Also, in this test there are some dips of the core mhz as you can see in the graph. Is this normal? Can I rely on Wattman graph of frequency?

I also tested using afterburner, to check for framerate, but there are also oscillations. What about your results when you achieve the position in the ranking you posted yesterday?

I tried core 1712mhz with a different config and it worked but consuming much more Watt.

So, my question is what do you think I could change/try to improve my results.

Important I discovered is to have temps of the backplate under control, it gets too hot while benchmarking/playing even if you see the temps in my pic. HBM greater than 75 starts penalizing core mhz/fps and make them fluctuate. I ended putting 3x120 fans cooling the backplate which helped, but nothing like water for sure.

I want to fine tune it now on air to see how far can I go.

So, hope to hear some suggestions from you.

Rgds

Vega clocks do fluctuate slightly under load, just the way it is.

I have the same card and disabled p7 (dont see the point in 2 performance states but please elighten me if im mistaken!) So run p6 as max state 1672 @ 1085mv with a +50% power limit and a custom aggressive fan curve results in clocks hovering around 1640-1650 in game. Seems to be the sweet spot for me. Mem 1050mhz. Core temp rarely exceeds 60c, HBM 65c and Hot Spot 70-72c.

Its the Hot Spot temp that you need to focus on controlling the most as its very sensitive to voltage changes and causes heavy throttling if the temp gets too high. A custom aggressive fan curve can help keep this in check and prevent the heavy throttling :)

Last edited:
Associate
Vega clocks do fluctuate slightly under load, just the way it is.

I have the same card and disabled p7 (dont see the point in 2 performance states but please elighten me if im mistaken!) So run p6 as max state 1672 @ 1085mv with a +50% power limit and a custom aggressive fan curve results in clocks hovering around 1640-1650 in game. Seems to be the sweet spot for me. Mem 1050mhz. Core temp rarely exceeds 60c, HBM 65c and Hot Spot 70-72c.

Its the Hot Spot temp that you need to focus on controlling the most as its very sensitive to voltage changes and causes heavy throttling if the temp gets too high. A custom aggressive fan curve can help keep this in check and prevent the heavy throttling :)

Associate
So run p6 as max state 1672 @ 1085mv with a +50% power limit and a custom aggressive fan curve results in clocks hovering around 1640-1650 in game. Seems to be the sweet spot for me. Mem 1050mhz. Core temp rarely exceeds 60c, HBM 65c and Hot Spot 70-72c. :)
Thx mate! How many mV should I use for hbm?

Associate
ok, this is the best I think I can go on air. what do you think?

why did EdwardTobia suggested to run only p6? I get worst results using only p6.

also, I got a new card. The bios is as I posted above well below the 8892 you mentioned. how can I check for the exact bios version (already did it in gpu-z)?

uI_mio_1c_zpsyrnstr36.png

SP_mio_1c_zpsvfo3xg2j.png

Back
Top Bottom