Worst/scariest moment on 2/4 wheels

JRS

JRS

Soldato
~190mph on the M6 toll riding shotgun in a Dodge Charger Daytona with a 511ci Hemi :eek:

~30mph going down Britannia Drive, Stretton in pa's old Land Rover when the brakes decided to go all mushy due to leaking wheel cylinders :eek::eek:

Associate
OP
Personally don't think they should allow bikes on there with mixed traffic and/or pillion - seems far too dangerous to me and seen many a biker go off track trying to avoid cars due to the different lines and/or nearly get hit.

To be fair that picture was from back in 2008 and at that time there was loads of bikes out on track, including the marshals flying round on theirs. I remember that every lap I drove in my car I was always conscious of bikes. As the years have went on I see less and less bikes on track to the point that it's quite rare to see one out when you're lapping, and I think that's the problem. I don't think they should stop bikes on tourist days as with anyone who goes out there you know the risks involved. It speaks volumes that out of all my mates who used to go out there on bikes, they all now take their cars and leave the bikes at home.

Associate
Worked as a truck drivers mate during my holidays at college. One day one of the drivers decided to fall asleep at the wheel on the M1 and I struggled to regain control by grabbing the wheel as we hit the central reservation and bounced off, with the entire trucks load shifting to one side and sending us up onto only 2 wheels. Got him to pull into the next services and I left him and hitched a ride home!

Man of Honour
Over cooked an over take down an A road on the way to work 2 Christmas eves ago, came within inches of burying myself and the bike in the driver's seat of the car coming the other way. Was still shaking when I got to work about 4 miles later.

Soldato
1983, Eighteen years old, riding like a tool on my ex production racer RD250LC, some kids let their dog run out on a main, the car in front stopped, I clipped his rear quarter and punctured his tyre, then hit another car coming head on the other way and went over the top.I remember the kids, the dog, the car I clipped, but to this day have no memory of the car I went over.
Ended up a hundred yards down the road with the bike on top of me, and a smashed tib and fib that took over two years to heal. Nearly lost the leg.

Associate
With me driving it was something very similar to MagicBoy's story - on the M40 in the outside lane in heavy traffic, probably going around 65mph, suddenly cars swerving left out of the lane - spare wheel had fallen off a van and was sat in the middle of the lane .I managed to miss it but lots of others hit it and ended on the hard shoulder with damage to wheels etc.

With someone else driving it was hitting railings on a bridge down a country lane being driven by my idiot mate. Car was totaled, I ended up strapped to a back board and taken to hospital. Luckily no serious injuries, but I did get my new t-shirt cut off me

Man of Honour
Tank slapper millimetres from going into a petrol tanker. It would have been a good night sweetheart moment, but JUST got away with it. Closest to death I have come I think outside of medical stuff.

Associate
Knocked off my bike April 2017, broken ribs, broken scapula, fractured vertebra in lower spine and neck plus traumatic brain injury. Lost about 2 months worth of memory. Back on a bike 12 months later

Soldato
I was in the "fast lane" of the M5 behind an SUV type vehicle. We were probably going a bit fast, and I was probably a bit closer than I should have been, but nothing crazy on either part. All of a sudden he swerves into the middle lane and there was an old Rover stationary in the fast lane in front of me! Broke as hard as I could, and came to a stop about 1 ft away from him! I really didn't think I was going to stop in time, but the last little bit of speed dropped off much quicker than expected. I had to reverse back to pull out into the middle lane... My legs were shaking like mad while driving away, but luckily was only about 2 miles away from where I was coming off.

Soldato
Trying to slow down for a roundabout from 110Mph (GPS, speedo was reading over 120) in a Capri 2.8i with standard brakes, i swear the pads just turned to glass a second after hitting the brakes, never felt brake fade like that in any other car.

Soldato
Believing my mates dad when he talked me into being a sidecar passenger on his newly built R1 engined setup he was trialling for the IoM TT as he said it wasn’t scary, I just needed to move about a bit on the platform....... i’ll Never get those 5 laps worth of time of Oulton back......

Soldato
I had a ride slowly moment in my biker days - coming from Stirchley to Cotteridge in Brum and got to Breedon hill doing way more than 30 limit - just banked over on top of bridge and a car was turning right into Lifford Lane - It was a old car with those metal bumpers that stuck out. He saw me and floored it and looked down and saw my left leg miss the bumper by a hairs breadth.

Another was in Yaris SR and playing with a Golf to see who was the fastest - right bend - left bend - tractor and trailer exiting road from right - we stopped just and no damage - slowed down quite a lot from that moment - it just isn't worth it.

The close ones are scariest

Associate
Literally too many to count.

Wall of death in a 205 GTI

Jumped a blind crest at about 90mph in same 205 GTI only to find that over the brow was a left-right-left switchback, still no idea how I recovered that.

150mph as a pillion on a ZXR750 through a small Welsh village

120mph through the lanes, broad daylight in a highly tuned S12 when I encountered an oncoming Pajero

Etc
Etc
Etc

I'd be here all night.
You sound so cool -_-

Back
Top Bottom