usb sound card

Associate
looking some advice on a usb sound card, a few weeks ago my graphics card went on fire (sparks and all). I got a new GC but since then my sound has been out of sync with the video (youtube,netflix and dvd), and the longer the video runs the more out of sync it becomes. after a bit of testing i reckon it the MB (z270 gamer9) is at fault. i don't want to buy a new MB at the moment as i like to hold off till next year and the new cpu/mb come out. don't want a pci sound card as if it the MB at fault, that might not fix my problem.

so what a good usb sound card, i Mainly list to music/movies and play some RPG type games played thew my microlab solo9c speakers, tho i some time late at night will use headphones. budget would be under £200

Soldato
Sound card isn't responsible for keeping image and sound synced.
It simply plays back what's given to it by source softwares through audio stack of Windows.
So suspect new sound card won't help any.
Unless drivers of current have become corrupted.

Would suggest first doing things like system file check, and reinstalling DirectX
Also reinstalling drivers of sound card and especially graphics card would be things to try.
Especially if you changed graphics card between AMD and Nvidia then it would be good to make sure there are no remnants of old drivers.

Associate
OP
as part of my testing did a fresh install off win 10, with all the newest drivers i could get. have tried the hdmi port of the graphic card. the cox, opt sdif/out the standard front speakers out, and the headphone jack, all goes out sync with the vid, the only thing that works is a very old usb(1) sound thingy (would hate to call it a sound card) and the sound stays in sync with it. over xmas for the hell of it i'll setup a duel boot linux to see if that makes a different's as i really love to know what causing it. at the moment i thinking that when the old graphics went boom one of the sparks either dmg some other part, or some of the internal lanes have got dmg (hence why i don't want to buy a pci sound card)

Soldato
Linux would be certainly best for checking if it's caused by OS independent thing/hardware fault.
I think some live Linux could also be used.

As for GPU damaging other slots, unlike old PCI which was shared bus PCI-e uses independent point to point links.
Also main PCI-e x16 slot gets its PCI-e lanes physically from CPU, while smaller slots mostly have their PCI-e lanes come from motherboard chipset, which has its own communication link to CPU.
https://hothardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-7700k-and-z270-chipset-review?page=2
Unless motherboard maker has done something unusual.

So would be weird if graphics card's death could cause such damage causing data sync issue in other buses without causing anykind other problems like errors and data corruption.
I mean if either sound or image starts lagging more and more behind without any drops that can't be caused by communication links themselves.
Because they simply don't have anything which could buffer that constantly growing amount of waiting excess data.
So more likely desync occurs in video data demuxing and decoding, which for some reason doesn't anymore happen at same speed for audio and video streams.

Associate
I don't really have anything to add to this but I have the Z370 Ultra Gaming (ridiculous name) and have the same issue with sound desyncing in video apps. It doesn't happen using sound over HDMI with the speakers plugged into the monitor but does when using the onboard connectors.

Curious.

Soldato
I don't really have anything to add to this but I have the Z370 Ultra Gaming (ridiculous name) and have the same issue with sound desyncing in video apps. It doesn't happen using sound over HDMI with the speakers plugged into the monitor but does when using the onboard connectors.

Curious.
Maybe Microsoft screwed up something once again.
What video player are you using?
If Microsoft's, try Media Player Classic HC or VLC Player.

Associate
It does it with everything, whether it's in browser of stand alone. Only with video playback though, games are fine.

I've just assumed it was the onboard sound being arse, after trying loads of different software and driver setups, so I was planning on doing the same as Btone and grabbing an external card.

Soldato
It does it with everything, whether it's in browser of stand alone. Only with video playback though, games are fine.
Cause could still be some common media file demuxing/decoding library used by multiple programs.
Is it sounds which starts lagging image?

Back
Top Bottom