Gaming PC £1kish Budget

Associate
Hey,

I've been out the game for a few years and I am looking at getting back into PC gaming, however, I have no idea where to start. I've been having a little look through the forums and google to see what is best for cost/performance and it's all quite conflicted.

I'm looking to spend around £1k (can be pushed a little higher if needed) but this needs to be a full system minus monitor, keyboard & mouse (I will buy these separately). I've been taking a look at AMD Ryzens but not sure if for this budget they are best or to go back to Intel which is what I used to use many years ago.

I've not got any specific games that I want to play so want to make this an all-round PC if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Associate
Hi,

Please look at this below and prehaps watch the video it compares the ryzen 1600 over the 7600k you see.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32379305

Anyways to start off i will do a ryzen build because of value for performance but intel is the performance king as have said a couple of times in different threads.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,031.53 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Just remember amd will support the am4 socket motherboard until 2020, so yeah zen 2 is coming out next year and then zen 3 which i will be upgrading to which is zen 3 so you can always upgrade to a new processor when released.

As for os you can make do with buying a cd key from some cd keys website so you buy a windows operating system key for like 10 quid i think and then download the windows 10 from Microsoft website.

Dan.​

Associate
OP
Thanks, I will take a look at that video after work.

Is that bundle the best or did you pick that because of the free SSD? It does seem alright for the price!

I should also mention that I don't need a DVD or a storage hard drive other than an SSD. Oh, I also don't need the OS either.

Associate
Well the reason why i picked the bundle is because it is rather popular to go with that bundle.

Reasons are a motherboard that can run the ryzen 2600 out of the box so you don't have to update the motherboard and yea as well as a free ssd so you are saving something like £30 or 40 quid so you can put the operating system on the ssd and the 1tb 7200rpm to store big files like videos or whatever.

Okay so you do not need a dvd drive or a hdd and you don't need an os.

let me update the basket list.

Correct me if i am wrong about the motherboard in that bundle please about it able to run the 2600 out of the box if not then you have to update motherboard bios.

Associate
Take my posts with a pinch of salt hah.

Total: £979.55 (includes shipping: £11.70)

edit

The good news is ssd prices have gone down over time mate.

ive got a Western Digital WDS200T2B0A WD Blue 3D NAND Internal SSD 2.5 Inch SATA, 2 TB - costed £327 back in august this year now it is, 279 quid and this is on a website i won't name or link because overclocker forum rules state no links to competitor i am afraid.

I have also got the seasonic focus plus 750w 80 plus gold power supply and it is a tier 2 power supply but it is a decent power supply and it has a 10 year warranty on it.

Never cheap out on a power supply you see because it could fail or damage pc hardware components so the power supply is the last thing you want to cheap out on to save money.

About power supply tiers are here > https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

I also have the Xigmatek talon midi tower windowed gaming pc case, and yeah it is a tool less pc case though.​

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks quite a nice case for the price! Any recommendations on components that differ to above?

Rest of that spec above is pretty solid to be honest. You might be able to save a bit by buying a cheaper B450 board (Gigabyte B450 Aorus or MSI B450 Tomahawk etc) and then the cpu/ram/ssd separate. The Strix is a pretty good board though.

Also a Vega 56 would save money if you only plan on 1080p, and will still do a good job at 1440p.

Associate
OP
How much performance increase is there for the 2600x over the 2600? Is it worth the extra?

Same goes for the Vega 64 over the 56?

Soldato
How much performance increase is there for the 2600x over the 2600? Is it worth the extra?

Same goes for the Vega 64 over the 56?

Vega 64 does get the boost with more cores and faster memory count. Lot of bios locking .
Undervolt the card and push the core and memory overclock and solid card !

You'll notice the 2600x in games that rely on single core performance . If you can afford it it's great, 2600 is a nice buy bu you have a cooler you can use on it and overclock to 4.2ghz all cores with a bit of luck

Associate
Total: £1,001.49 (includes shipping: £12.60)

I have the same budget and the above is what im going for, im waiting for CES to see if the 3600x/Vega 2 is announced but if its months away im just going to pull the trigger.

You could save £50~ by going for a cheaper mobo/case and put that £50+ towards a vega 64, but ive had my eye on this case for a while and the mobo seems to be the best b450 out there, the others have lesser heatsinks/audio/no wifi.

Seems to be minimal difference between the 56/64 anyway (5~fps) and i will undervolt/oc.

Soldato
@greatash
looking into Zen 2 then x470 boards.

amd arent as bad as intel with TDP/watt disclosure , theirs is actually at boost speed/xfr but once you clock all cores manually the TDP ups quite a bit, specially now if 3600 becomes 8 core running 4.7ghz boost on single core , wrapped that up to 8 core all boost will increase a bit . why X470 boards like Hero and Aorus 7 have 10+ phase design and can handle 500+ amps ... at a cost though .

intel on the other hand, give TDP based on base clock speed. psml

Back
Top Bottom